snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 11 May 2018, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
We do have an alligator in the pond behind the building.
You're in Florida. Every body of water at least three feet across is supposed to have at least one alligator.
Old 11 May 2018, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
UEL, I think you are on to something. I'd suggest as much to the boss; "hey client X is a pain in the butt and I see you deal with her by giving her freebies, do you want to starting doing that in the future to keep her happy".
Problem Client is more than a pain in the butt, she has been abusive (there is audio and video, which my manager reviewed and gasped "Holy---! You handled that better than I could have.") But I have twice had to walk away from her, literally shaking, and ask someone else to handle the situation. Another employee had similar difficulty controlling her temper while being specifically targeted and verbally abused on different occasions by this woman. We suspect she has some disorder but I really want to keep this general and not go into specifics.

I've made it quite clear to my manager that I won't work in a place where I am subjected to abuse. And I will not encourage this behavior by rewarding her with the things she demands for free. As I said before, I would prefer to fire her as a client, even though she did finally agree to pay us in full for everything we provide to her. (Honestly, though, if it were my company, I'd ban her from the premises.)

It would be easy if Problem Client only wanted to deal directly with the owner. That was one of the solutions I proposed the very first time I had a difficult encounter with her: just bypass us and go straight to the person in charge, even if it means waiting until next week when she's available. But that was, to put it mildly, completely unacceptable to her.

We spent months dealing with this situation, attempting solutions. There was a lot that went down. I know that providing more details will help you comprehend the situation, but I don't want to write a massive post detailing every incident that's happened. There are also a lot of difficult dynamics in my relationship with my boss. For example, during this time, Problem Client contacted our boss, and told her that I was the abusive one. My boss, being semi-retired and not in the office much, and not knowing anything about the issue, took Problem Client's side over mine. This, of course, caused serious problems for me, and the office manager needed to intervene.

So there is no easy solution, and I just need to vent. When I came back from lunch and was casually informed of what had happened, I sat with my head in my hands for a while and tried not to cry, because we're back to square one.
Old 11 May 2018, 04:38 AM

I'm sorry, that's a difficult situation to deal with. I'm in favor of the alligator option.
Old 11 May 2018, 04:58 AM

Is there anyone in your company that's got your back regarding the abuse? You said it's a small company so I'm guessing there may not be a full on HR department that you could appeal to, but this is sounding like it's slid fully into Toxic Work Environment.
Old 11 May 2018, 02:25 PM

that really sucks, Cervus.

LTTAM: A male coworker is mansplaining to a female manager. I called him out on it when we were on our own, telling him he was explaining her project to her. He got offended that I would say such a thing...and is now in her office again, totally explaining her project to her and literally repeating what she says back to her.
Old 11 May 2018, 02:56 PM

Cervus - if you have her on tape verbally abusing you, and you have reported it to the company and they have done nothing about it, then it would seem you would have a case to sue the owner for creating a hostile work environment. I know you've said all reasonable solutions have been tried. This seems a bit farther down the road of unreasonable solutions, but based on just what you have posted here, it may be the only thing left.
Old 11 May 2018, 03:48 PM

Unless you work alone the solution is not to deal with this client. When I was Chief Librarian one of the reasons I got paid the big bucks (pause to stifle laughter) was because when we had a problem patron I got to handle her. You don't need to argue, deny, give in, whatever, you just need to smile, say "I'll get someone to help you", press the intercom (or whatever) and say "person further up the command structure than I, can you step out here for a moment". Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old 11 May 2018, 03:53 PM

Ow! That stove is hot!
Ow! That stove is hot!
Old 11 May 2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I've made it quite clear to my manager that I won't work in a place where I am subjected to abuse.
And yet you're doing so, so your manager might not be finding that message as clear as you think it is...
Old 11 May 2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
Cervus - if you have her on tape verbally abusing you, and you have reported it to the company and they have done nothing about it, then it would seem you would have a case to sue the owner for creating a hostile work environment. I know you've said all reasonable solutions have been tried. This seems a bit farther down the road of unreasonable solutions, but based on just what you have posted here, it may be the only thing left.
Unless Florida has some very different employment laws (which I seriously doubt) this is not a viable claim. There is no such thing as a "hostile work environment claim" as such, although it is a common misconception. It's a phrase that comes from *discrimination* law. You can bring a claim alleging discrimination based on membership in a protected class, in which you allege that you were subjected to differential treatment in the terms and conditions of your employment via a hostile work environment. It can also come up in the related contexts of retaliation and whistleblowing claims. But terrible bosses who are terrible to everyone, or who let terrible clients be abusive to everyone, are not illegal.

There may be other legal avenues that are open, but unless this client is being discriminatorily fobbed off on the women in the office but not the men, or sent to the Buddhist worker because the Christian workers all look out for each other, or something like that, it is not likely a hostile work environment claim.
Old 11 May 2018, 05:00 PM

You're right, erwins, I was mistaking what a reasonable HR department would do with the law. I withdraw my suggestion - it wouldn't help.
Old 11 May 2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
And yet you're doing so, so your manager might not be finding that message as clear as you think it is...
No, she agrees and fully supports us. She has handled Problem Client too. I informed her today of what happened, and she said "Oh, no."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
Unless you work alone the solution is not to deal with this client. When I was Chief Librarian one of the reasons I got paid the big bucks (pause to stifle laughter) was because when we had a problem patron I got to handle her. You don't need to argue, deny, give in, whatever, you just need to smile, say "I'll get someone to help you", press the intercom (or whatever) and say "person further up the command structure than I, can you step out here for a moment". Lather, rinse, repeat.
I very much prefer to never have to deal with her at all, but due to the nature of our (extremely small-staffed) workplace, that's sometimes not possible.
Old 14 May 2018, 03:28 PM

Glasses

I have a headache.

Seaboe
Old 14 May 2018, 05:24 PM

I used to have an Amazon "actually free" version of Norton security software on my Android phone. The Amazon program was discontinued a while back, and when I had to update the app, it switched to a free trial/pay version. I wound up unprotected for some time, and now I have some kind of adware/browser hijacker problem. (Versions of the "Congratulations!" pop-up). I've now got a paid version of Kaspersky's, but even with a scan and supposedly real-time monitoring, it's still happening. I'm afraid I may have to do a factory reset to get rid of it. Ugh.

Extra annoying factor: there is a sound component to it. So my phone exclaims "Congratulations!" or beeps repeatedly from time to time.

Also, since it seems to happen without fail on particular sites, I'm not sure if it's entirely about my phone vs. a problem with certain sites.
Old 14 May 2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I have a headache.

Seaboe
So do I...
and I don't want to take an advil, because my headache might be med-related...
Old 14 May 2018, 08:31 PM

Glasses

I think mine's weather related, which means nothing much works.

On the plus side, as headaches go, it's not bad.

Erwins, I have Malwarebytes, and I like it a lot. The main difference between the paid and unpaid versions seems to be continuous monitoring. Unpaid you have to tell it when to scan.

Seaboe
Old 14 May 2018, 10:00 PM

I only use the internet on my phone to check email or message forums, like this one for example. You can get Adblock Plus for Android phones, though it functions as its own browser rather than just a plugin for an existing browser.
Old 15 May 2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I only use the internet on my phone to check email or message forums, like this one for example. You can get Adblock Plus for Android phones, though it functions as its own browser rather than just a plugin for an existing browser.
I only use the internet on my phone for a few specific blogs I follow and personal email checking. Occasionally I've used it to log into other forums but the amount of effort in using the forum, let alone typing any responses, makes me wonder how people have the patience to use their phones exclusively for internet purposes.* I try to remind myself that dial up in the early 00's took way longer but that was all we knew back then so it didn't bother me as much

*Not in a judgmental way- more in the way you appraise an acrobat? Like how are you actually able to do this, sort of a way? I'm glad people are able to use the tool for the purposes it is intended for, I just, for better or worse, am not one of those poeple.
Old 15 May 2018, 02:59 PM

Glasses

I had to upgrade to Windows 10 at work. It was fairly painless, and is pretty much transparent (i.e., I don't notice the difference from what I had before).

Except for the log on process. We use a smart-badge log on system, which means I stick my badge in my computer, enter a pin, and it lets me log on. This morning (the second since the upgrade), it asked me for my password--which I don't have, since I have a pin--and the button to change login systems was not available. After a few rounds of yelling, I finally restarted my computer, and then I got the login options.

IMO, I shouldn't have had to restart. The program should know that if I stick a card in my computer, I want the smart-badge log in, and give it to me automatically.

Even better, the system should know we don't use the password log on (Windows Hello), and should default to the smart-badge log on.

I don't know whether these issues are Micro$oft's problem, or Boeing's, but they're not mine.

Seaboe
Old 15 May 2018, 05:39 PM

Bonsai Kitten

I was watching a TV show and one of the contestants was comparing themselves to "a butterfly coming out of a cocoon."

Butterflies don't come out of cocoons!! Moths come out of cocoons, butterflies have a chrysalis stage.
Closed Thread