snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 10 March 2014, 03:51 AM

Default Little things that annoy you

Inadequate (or just plain bad) textbooks. I was working on homework earlier, and there were two questions (from the book) that included things that are not covered in said book, or merely mentioned in passing without a good explanation.

Unfortunately, the questions were from sections that we did not cover in lecture due to snow days.
Old 11 March 2014, 01:54 PM

We moved into a new office 4 years ago, and since then the space next door has been empty. Last month, a new firm moved in there and I found out there is basically no sound-proofing between our offices. I hear every word of every conversation in the office next to mine. They are not overly loud people, it is just that the landlord put no soundproofing or insulation in the wall between our spaces. So, now I listen to insurance agents talking to clients or BSing all day long.
Old 11 March 2014, 03:31 PM

Sounds like my apartment - -the walls re paper-thin and there's no soundproofing. It's not that my neighbors are loud, they're just going about their daily business, but I can hear everything, from conversations to bodily functions. It's worst in the bedroom.
Old 11 March 2014, 05:04 PM

Workshops that run from noon to 1:30 that don't include lunch.
Old 11 March 2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender blue View Post
Workshops that run from noon to 1:30 that don't include lunch.
Of course, this was moot, as the workshop instructor didn't show up.

So I'd like to replace my gripe about not getting lunch with one about absent instructors.
Old 11 March 2014, 05:54 PM

The instructor was probably getting lunch for everyone.
Old 11 March 2014, 06:13 PM

They've got an unexpected surprise and a lot of leftovers if they show up with lunch since all the attendees have left...
Old 11 March 2014, 07:15 PM

I keep seeing a banner advertisement for some company that sells wax candles that have rings in them. The way this advertisement is presented makes it sound like no one ever, in the history of candles, thought that putting something into the wax as it molds would be a good idea. "A RING in a CANDLE?!" is their slogan, as if this was so outrageous I might need to double-check it was true. Leaving aside the part where people have dropped trinkets into candles as they formed for at least as long as we've used molds to make them, how does that even work? Do you order the candle by ring size? Just hope your amazing new treasure (valued at $5 to $5000, complete with two exclamation points) fits? Gah. It wouldn't be so annoying if it wasn't constantly plastered on my screen.
Old 11 March 2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
Leaving aside the part where people have dropped trinkets into candles as they formed for at least as long as we've used molds to make them, how does that even work? Do you order the candle by ring size? Just hope your amazing new treasure (valued at $5 to $5000, complete with two exclamation points) fits?
Nope, and yep, respectively. It's kind of like crackerjacks for (theoretically) grown women; if you were buying the crackerjacks/candles anyway, it might be fun to have a prize inside, but a sensible person doesn't buy it for the prize. If it's the company I'm thinking of, they do have a forum online where you can exchange your crap ring that doesn't fit for someone else's crap ring that doesn't fit, thereby removing one of your two excellent reasons for never wearing it out in public.
Old 11 March 2014, 07:40 PM

I recently saw a candle shaped like a cat which when burned left a cat skeleton behind.
Old 11 March 2014, 07:41 PM

I would totally buy that if someone stuffed it into a small jar like Bonsai kitty.
Old 11 March 2014, 08:02 PM

Out of curiosity, what was the cat skeleton made out of? (If it was a real cat skeleton, never mind.)
Old 11 March 2014, 08:10 PM

Pyropet candles
Old 11 March 2014, 08:14 PM

Fight

I hit a pothole last night. A huge one.

I was driving down the boulevard in the left hand lane. Someone started veering into my lane with me beside them (and they were on a cell phone, go figure). I had to veer left towards the boulevard when WHAM, I hit the pothole.

It destroyed my tire. I got it over to the right hand lane (which was hard given how much traffic there was). Luckily, a tow truck was about 2 minutes behind me and effected the change to a spare in about 3 minutes. That cost me $60. The tire today cost me $180.

I'm annoyed by distracted drivers and potholes right now.
Old 11 March 2014, 08:16 PM

My daughter had to replace a wheel after she hit a giant pothole. They're doing major, major roadwork on the state highway near us -- the one we literally cannot avoid driving on -- and the pavement was in terrible shape for a while. They've finally repaired it.
Old 11 March 2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Complete with jar! That would make the perfect gift for a friend of mine, but it looks like they're not for sale just yet. Thanks for the link!
Old 11 March 2014, 08:28 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
My daughter had to replace a wheel after she hit a giant pothole.
I hear you. My big fear was that the rim would be ruined. That would have been much more of a problem.
Old 11 March 2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
I hit a pothole last night. A huge one.
Sigh. Welcome to Ottawa, UEL.
Old 11 March 2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
Wow. I found that disturbing for some reason.

Anyway, on to my little thing.

UPS. I've read others takes on how UPS will leave a note without knocking and not drop off a package. I have always been grateful that they just leave things on the porch.

Well, they won't do it any more. I even know why - because they screwed up delivering a package and had to eat the cost. I had ordered two remotes from Best Buy, as they were on sale for 80% off and I really like the style. This was done Thanksgiving weekend last year. Well, one remote showed up about four days later, in a beat up box. No second remote. Tracked it, and it was "on truck for delivery today". It was that way every day for the next three weeks. Right before Christmas, I called BB to complain. They tracked it, saw "on truck" and said to give it another few days. I did, and called back three days later. It still said "on truck". BB said they would ship a new one and deal with UPS. A few days later, I got a second remote. I assume this was the replacement BB sent, but I don't really know. I do know the box wasn't crushed and dirty like the first one. Meanwhile, the tracking changed to "delivered - left on porch" or something like that. A few days later, they called asking about it. I explained it to them, they kept trying to get me to say that I got the lost remote, I said I got two remotes that I had ordered and paid for. I ended up with three more calls from them, all wanting me to say I got that remote.
Well, they stopped with that eventually. But now they won't drop off a package without a signature. And they don't knock - the only reason I got a package last week was because my dog heard them and barked quick enough for DW to get to the door and flag the truck down before it left.
Old 11 March 2014, 08:43 PM

Have your alignment checked fairly soon UEL.
Closed Thread