snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 15 December 2013, 05:16 PM

Default Little things that annoy you

I have less than 100 pages left in a 850 page book and it has gone missing. For the second time.

Also I have a fairly bad cold and left my cold medication at school. Add that to a week with two assemblies, a class party, and making gifts for the parents at my expense and I want to hide under my bed until Christmas.
Old 15 December 2013, 05:52 PM

Re ads on this site (reference posts in the old thread, now closed): I've been getting ads on the "today's posts" page that pop up in the lower right hand corner of the page and automatically start playing video and sound. By the time they get around to it I'm usually on some other page (I often open a batch at once in tabs) and it takes me a minute to figure out where the noise is coming from and close the ad.

I suppose I should make myself listen to enough of one of them to figure out what they're advertising, so I would know who to be annoyed at (and also because even if snopes wants to do something about this it would I expect be easier to deal with if I provided that information; but I don't know whether snopes figures it's OK, in which case I ought to put up with it.)
Old 16 December 2013, 01:09 AM

I got unfriended on Facebook today. It's no great loss, I wasn't that close with her, but it was just frustratingly childish.

This was a FOAF once removed (or so). We'll call her T. She was once a close friend of my wife's sister. They worked together for a few weeks (!) before declaring themselves "best friends." So she was really someone who drifted in an out of my social circle a few times and I barely knew before she moved away. So, like I said, not mourning the loss of a barely-close acquaintance. I'm just annoyed at being the victim of childish behavior.

So, T posted an article on Facebook entitled "It Only Took this Army Vet 3 Minutes to Destroy Obama's Gun Control Plan."

I responded to her post by saying "That's not true. A) He's talking about the NY SAFE Act, which is a New York State law. It has nothing to do with Obama. It wasn't proposed, written, or signed into law by Obama, and in fact has nothing whatsoever to do with him, and B) He didn't "destroy" anything. He just made an emotional appeal based on a few anecdotes, none of which have anything to do with the merits of the law. He didn't say why the law was bad; in fact he didn't discuss any provisions of it. He just basically announced that it should not have been passed because he says so."

Ten minutes later we were no longer friends.
Old 16 December 2013, 10:40 AM

Whalephant

People who set you up to be corrected by them on message boards. No, if you have a fear of clowns you kind of need to mention that when stating that you can't understand why someone would refuse to go to a circus because of their fear of clowns. Not "correct " the person who says well since you don't understand my fear let explain.
Old 16 December 2013, 11:40 AM
Barbara

Whalephant

People who do not RSVP, especially when RSVPing amounts to replying to an email (as opposed to having to pick up the phone and call or having to reply by sending back a card in the mail).

The party I'm hosting is a week from now. I sent out emailed invitations two weeks ago. I've yet to hear from five of the folks that were invited. That's five individuals, each of whom has yet to tell me if he or she is coming.

I issued 16 invitations to this shindig, which means just slightly under 1/3 of my invitees currently exist in mystery-land - I don't know if they're going to be here or not.

In the face of this, I given up on any notion of trying to have a light supper catered. Instead, it'll be a couple of shrimp rings, a salad, and one heck of a lot of munchies. We'll get by.

Especially galling is my deliberately leaving off the list a special pal who has conclusively proved he can't be arsed to RSVP to anything until the day before. "I'll miss him," said I to myself, "but it's worth not seeing him if I get to enjoy the peace of mind of not being left hanging out to dry until the last minute. Other folks don't act like that, so why am I catering to that man at the expense of what's left of my sanity?"

And now this.

*sigh*
Old 16 December 2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
I issued 16 invitations to this shindig, which means just slightly under 1/3 of my invitees currently exist in mystery-land - I don't know if they're going to be here or not.*
I'll fill one of those spots!
Old 16 December 2013, 07:36 PM

Yesterday-Dog farting so badly even DD2 kicked him out of her room for "garbaging it up." I suspect that he's becoming sensitive to pork so we'll have to change his food. I got him some pumpkin to help his digestion.

Today-Dog has eaten pumpkin and seems to be feeling better. He is now farting pumpkin smell...
Old 16 December 2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriah View Post
Today-Dog has eaten pumpkin and seems to be feeling better. He is now farting pumpkin smell...
Where's the icon for rolling on the floor laughing my a** off.
Old 16 December 2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Where's the icon for rolling on the floor laughing my a** off.

Would a spittake do?
Old 16 December 2013, 08:41 PM

Dog

Ahh yes, it's that time of year when pumpkin spice is in everything, including dog farts!
Old 16 December 2013, 10:10 PM

We have "compliance,"which is things that have to be done in staff meetings.

Staff meetings are only supposed to last an hour maximum..

So why the heck is the compliance module more than an hour?
Old 16 December 2013, 11:55 PM

LTTAM: the fact that, at the holidays, if you actually need to go out and buy something for yourself, because of a need that has come up, you can't actually go out and buy that something because stores are out of them.

It seems that when I actually need to get some clothes I can only find medium or double XL.
Old 17 December 2013, 02:27 AM

People who don't read the question. The answer to "Is it A or B?" can't possibly be "It's a cat."*

*Not the real question asked, but given some of their answers, effectively the same.
Old 17 December 2013, 06:05 PM

More of a "thing that annoys me that shouldn't." The phrasing of this question on my Movie Trivia page-a-day calendar:
"Can you guess the name of the 2009 movie that NASA experts call the most absurd case of bad science in the history of cinema?"
Are you asking me for the movie title, or just asking me if I can guess it? Very well, my answer is "Yes."
(Actual answer: 2012)
Old 17 December 2013, 06:37 PM

Worse than The Core? Worse than Armageddon?

And, except for a few very rare cases, everyone will answer "yes" to that question as it didn't specifically ask if you could correctly guess, just if you could guess.
Old 17 December 2013, 06:39 PM

Some 'friends' of LilMiss played a Hilarious Prank on her yesterday:
They texted her to come meet them at Burger King. She initially said no because she was tired, but they convinced her. So she walked down to meet them.
They weren't there.
After a bit of back and forth, they said they'd gone to the supermarket, she should meet them there.
They weren't there either, though that took a while to establish.
Now they said they had misspoke, they weren't at that supermarket, they were at the other one. Oh, no, wait, they were at the convenience store. Oh, actually, they were behind a silver car on the other side of the carpark...

Little shits. They weren't even in town.

The saddest bit is that LilMiss thought she was over-reacting by being upset, because she was tired, that maybe it was as funny as the others seemed to think it, and she just couldn't see it.
Old 17 December 2013, 06:46 PM

No, that's not even a little bit funny. It might have been a tiny bit funny if they hadn't been at BK but instead at the Taco Bell right next door (example made up) but that's just an awful thing to do to someone, especially since she already told them she was tired.
Old 17 December 2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriah View Post
No, that's not even a little bit funny. It might have been a tiny bit funny if they hadn't been at BK but instead at the Taco Bell right next door (example made up) but that's just an awful thing to do to someone, especially since she already told them she was tired.
Seconded... but not the bit about being possibly funny if they were next door.

It smacks of bullying to me. It's the kind of prank you expect the "mean girls" to play on the "loser".
Old 17 December 2013, 07:00 PM

Yeah, I think if that had happened to me as a teen I'd have felt humiliated. It isn't funny at all.
Old 17 December 2013, 07:14 PM

Not a funny prank, not nice girls.
Closed Thread