snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 14 March 2018, 11:21 AM

I know people joked about it before the start of the term, but it really does seem like Trump is running the country like The Apprentice.
Old 14 March 2018, 11:54 AM

Crash

Yesterday I heard some commentators say that Trump thrives on chaos and there is a management theory that involves chaos. I'll have to Google the latter.

ETA: Amazing what a search can turn up! Here's one such scholarly article.

Last edited by DawnStorm; 14 March 2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 14 March 2018, 12:34 PM

I'm sure he's never heard of that theory, and equally sure that if he did hear of it, he'd try to take credit for it. When in fact he manages via chaos because he is unstable, immature, and impulsive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Enrico View Post
Apart from the reasons for the fireing, I'm - again - baffled by the stile.
Trump doesn't make sense. I've found it less painful to just stop expecting it.
Old 14 March 2018, 04:00 PM

Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
I know people joked about it before the start of the term, but it really does seem like Trump is running the country like The Apprentice.
At least on The Apprentice he said "you're fired" to their face rather than just announcing it on Twitter.
Old 15 March 2018, 12:03 PM

I can't imagine being fired/laid off via Twitter or a text message. I would want an (in person) explanation for why I've lost my job.
Old 15 March 2018, 03:35 PM

I don't think I'd accept being fired by Twitter. I'd just keep on going to work until someone fired me in person. I expect that would be the same day as the tweet.
Old 15 March 2018, 04:49 PM

Anyone else amazed by how much this has rehabilitated Rex Tillerson's image?
Old 15 March 2018, 05:50 PM

Well, it's not done so entirely - there's a pretty scathing comment piece here from Richard Wolffe:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...opeless-tragic

Quote:
Rex Tillerson was a part-time truth-teller. In one national security meeting, he had the piercing insight and honesty to call Donald Trump “a moron” – possibly an Anglo-Saxon kind of moron. Yet, like his boss, he lacked the self-awareness to know that the same critique applied to himself, as the moron’s secretary-of-state.

There were clues along the way, many of them spotted by the man he so openly disdained. It was the moron-in-chief who challenged the moron-of-state to an open contest of intellectual power. “I think it’s fake news,” Trump told Forbes magazine, dismissing the moronic comments. “But if he did [say] that, I guess we’ll have to compare IQ tests. And I can tell you who is going to win.”

Genius. At some point, you just have to surrender to this kind of brainpower.
Old 16 March 2018, 10:16 PM

Default Trump chief of staff calls meeting to insist no one is about to be fired

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...er-white-house

Sarah Sanders made an unfortunate slip of the tongue when telling the press about it:

Quote:
“The chief of staff actually spoke to a number of staff this morning, reassuring them that there were personnel changes – no immediate personnel changes at this time – and that people shouldn’t be concerned,” press secretary Sarah Sanders said. “We should do exactly what we do every day and that’s come to work and do the very best job that we can. And that’s exactly what we’re doing.”
Unless her available information changed mid-sentence, of course.
Old 16 March 2018, 10:38 PM

I suppose one should check Twitter from time to time also.
Old 18 March 2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Aw, shucks, I was looking forward to another John Goodman appearance on SNL.
You got your wish!
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...d-open-1095319
Old 19 March 2018, 12:58 PM

Shout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Unless her available information changed mid-sentence, of course.
For those who did not catch the reference, there is a scene in 1984 where a speech is being made about Oceania and Eastasia's war against Eurasia:
Quote:
The speech had been proceeding for perhaps twenty minutes when a messenger hurried on to the platform and a scrap of paper was slipped into the speaker’s hand. He unrolled and read it without pausing in his speech. Nothing altered in his voice or manner, or in the content of what he was saying, but suddenly the names were different. Without words said, a wave of understanding rippled through the crowd. Oceania was at war with Eastasia! [...] The orator, still gripping the neck of the microphone, his shoulders hunched forward, his free hand clawing at the air, had gone straight on with his speech. One minute more, and the feral roars of rage were again bursting from the crowd. The Hate continued exactly as before, except that the target had been changed. The thing that impressed Winston in looking back was that the speaker had switched from one line to the other actually in midsentence, not only without a pause, but without even breaking the syntax.
I usually don't butt in to explain other people's posts, but I thought this reference was so very apt.
Old 19 March 2018, 01:54 PM

Um... yes! That very apt literary reference was exactly what I meant all along! Thanks for explaining it to us, I mean everybody else, ChasFink!

It would be even scarier to think that the current US administration is making me spontaneously come up with the same ideas George Orwell put into 1984...

(eta) I really should re-read it; I haven't read it for years. Just added it to my reading pile, to get to next. I knew I had quite an old paperback copy - I got it from my grandparents, I think - but I was just pleased to discover that it's actually one of the orange Penguin paperback editions with the eye on the front and 3'/6 price. I'm not sure if that's the original (mine certainly isn't an original printing - it's from 1961) but it's a classic. (eta again - not the original; the first paperback cover was just the standard Penguin at the time - plain orange and white with black text. Mine's the seventh one down).

Last edited by Richard W; 19 March 2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 19 March 2018, 01:59 PM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
It would be even scarier to think that the current US administration is making me spontaneously come up with the same ideas George Orwell put into 1984...
To be honest, I was afraid that it had!
Old 19 March 2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
The thing that impressed Winston in looking back was that the speaker had switched from one line to the other actually in midsentence, not only without a pause, but without even breaking the syntax.
At least the word "syntax" could be meaningfully applied to those speeches...
Old 19 March 2018, 02:48 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
I can't imagine being fired/laid off via Twitter or a text message. I would want an (in person) explanation for why I've lost my job.
I worked someplace where they fired someone by email. I'm still appalled although the firing was well-deserved. But you just don't fire someone that way!
Old 20 March 2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Yay. Someday I'll see that. I'm out of town for a while and can't see it yet because of country restrictions... (I looked around on YouTube but no luck)