snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 26 July 2016, 06:37 PM

Icon22 Neo-Nazi gets makeover to hide tattoos from jury

As potential jurors enter Courtroom 11D at the Regional Justice Center for a robbery trial on Monday, they will not see the teardrop tattooed just below defendant Bayzle Morgan’s right eye. They will not see the swastika within a clover under the 24-year-old’s left eye. Nor will they see the words “Most Wanted” across his forehead. The “Baby Nazi” tattoo on his neck will be hidden, as will the Iron Cross on the back of his bald head, along with two more white supremacist tattoos where his eyebrows should be. In an unusual move, District Judge Richard Scotti has ordered the concealing of Morgan’s tattoos from the neck up.
http://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/h...e-tattoos-jury
Old 26 July 2016, 07:40 PM

Seems fair since many potential jury members prejudged him based on the appearance of the tattoos. They might have a shred of relevance if the crime he was accused of was membership in a criminal organization that used those tattoos to mark members.
Old 26 July 2016, 07:55 PM

It seems this was based on the prosecution's motion. That was the part that surprised me. I could well see the defense asking for it (maybe asking for an appointment under the indigent defense funds) and the prosecutor going along with it. It appears the prosecution was having trouble getting a jury at all with the prejudice against face tattoos.
Old 26 July 2016, 08:26 PM

Could the prosecution also be preempting an appeal down the road? IOW, the prosecutor wants to convict him as cleanly as possible, so they cannot come back and claim he did not get a fair trial.
Old 27 July 2016, 09:33 PM

Certainly that is a possibility, and prosecutors quite often bend over backwards to avoid appeal issues. To me the article, though, was making it seem that they were having trouble even picking a jury at all, since they just could not find jurors who would even feign neutrality concerning swastikas and other Nazi tattoos on the defendant. Imagine that!

I had a case with a defendant who had a relatively modest-sized German cross tattooed on his face. I diplomatically explained to the adjuster that this image would not be well-received by jurors. The case got settled.
Old 28 July 2016, 01:15 PM

For me, it's the "Most Wanted" tattoo on his head that would make me rule unfavourably on his case. I can't think of any "innocent" use of "Most Wanted" other than actual Most Wanted posters.

So either he's boasting that he is most wanted or he thinks his face belongs on a most wanted poster.
Old 28 July 2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dave View Post
Could the prosecution also be preempting an appeal down the road? IOW, the prosecutor wants to convict him as cleanly as possible, so they cannot come back and claim he did not get a fair trial.
This seems quite reasonable.

That said, I am guessing Dermablend will not be making a video (music, no commentary) like they did for Zombie Boy.
Old 30 July 2016, 07:31 AM

This is one of the reason's I don't have any tattoos even though just about everyone I know has at least one. I'm worried I'll regret it immediately afterwards or it will get me in trouble.