snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 09 September 2016, 06:40 AM

Icon05 Masturbating in public is not illegal, Italy's highest court rules

Masturbating in public should not be considered an illegal act, Italy’s Supreme Court has ruled, in a case involving a 69-year-old man who was caught exhibiting himself in front of female students.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...t-court-rules/

I don't understand this ruling. It's not illegal, but he's still receiving a fine of between €5,000 and 30,000?
Old 09 September 2016, 11:11 AM

From the article, it sounds like it is the different between a crime and a misdemeanor - or rather, the Italian equivalents of that.

He had been sentenced to three months in jail and a fine, and the supreme court ruled that he should be sentenced to just a fine. That implies that his behaviour was still against the law, but not a crime.
Old 09 September 2016, 11:27 PM

Kind of like an "infraction" (e.g., a traffic ticket) -- you broke the law, but you're not considered a "criminal"? Although that's a hell of a fine for an infraction...
Old 11 September 2016, 10:31 AM

Australia

So if you can afford it...you can pull it off as many times as you like.
Old 11 September 2016, 11:31 AM

I've been to that square in front of the University of Catania... I don't remember even seeing any female students, though, let alone men masturbating in front of them.
Old 11 September 2016, 01:13 PM

Weird. I've been to Catania and I actually have had the unfortunate experience of having men (yes, plural) masturbate while staring at me/us (there were three of us women traveling) more than once.

I think one of the instances was in Syracuse. So, probably 4 or 5 total men in 3 different instances-two of which were at train stations and one was in a piazza. Yes, one of those instances involved more than one man in the same setting at the same time. It was creepy and gross.
Old 11 September 2016, 04:07 PM

Sicily does seem rather ... insular ... in some respects. My brother and I were waiting for a train at Pozzallo station (which, somewhat to our surprise, arrived exactly when it was supposed to, because otherwise the station appeared derelict and the tracks overgrown) and the local children hanging around asked us if we had any drugs they could buy...