snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 31 August 2016, 08:52 AM

Judge Judge orders four 2012 Aurora shooting survivors to pay $700k to cinema

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...nap-story.html

Long story short: 41 survivors of the 2012 Aurora Dark Knight Returns massacre were suing the cinema for not doing enough to ensure their safety, the judge told them he was about to find in the cinema's favor so they should take a settlement before he passed judgement because under Colorado law they'd be liable for all the court costs if they lost, the cinema offered a meager settlement of $150,000, the plaintiffs decided to take that and divide it up among themselves but then at the very last minute one of them decided his share wasn't big enough so he rejected the deal. 37 of the plaintiffs immediately pulled out of the case and the four that remained ended up being liable for $700,000 in court costs.

Yikes. Sucks to be those guys but they were told this was going to happen but they went ahead with it anyway.
Also from the sound of it that one guy wasn't holding out because he thought they had a chance of winning or that he thought they could get a bigger settlement out of the cinema, he just wanted the other plaintiffs to get somewhat less so he could get somewhat more.
Old 31 August 2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
.... the cinema offered a meager settlement of $150,000...
I would argue that, since the judge made it known that he would be siding with the cinema, that this is not a "meager settlement" at all. The theatre had the option of not offering a dime, and so, it would seem to me, they were being courteous by offering anything. Also, I'm not familiar with the way court costs are determined when a settlement is reached - are the costs usually split between parties? Or, is that something that is decided as part of the settlement?
Old 05 September 2016, 11:22 PM

I have a feeling the cinema won't try to collect the money. This has already been something of a PR fiasco, and they're unlikely to get much out of these people anyway. I think they were more concerned about the precedent it would set if they were found liable.
Old 06 September 2016, 05:01 AM

I guess the four victims will appeal the ruling anyway