snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Social Studies

Old 01 June 2015, 07:57 PM

Default No more Bruce: Meet Caitlyn Jenner

Quote:
(CNN)She has finally made her debut.

Vanity Fair tweeted its latest cover Monday, starring the former Bruce Jenner, now called Caitlyn.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/01/entert...eat/index.html
Old 01 June 2015, 08:13 PM

I wish her the best, though I do wish the media feeding frenzy would go away. I hate how transgendered people are treated like freak show attractions.
Old 01 June 2015, 08:23 PM

She looks great but it makes me feel bad she has to go thru such a personal journey in public.

Also, I don't want to pick on you (you just happen to be there) but a thing that should be mentioned "transgendered" is generally not considered accurate. Being transgender isn't a thing that happens to a person like being painted, it's a thing they are like being black so they are a "transgender person," like you'd say "black person."
Old 01 June 2015, 08:23 PM

I agree with crocoduck_hunter, the media frenzy should be that a fashion magazine has a 65 year old cover model.
Old 01 June 2015, 08:33 PM

I get what you guys are saying, but she's spent her life in the media and is currently a reality show star. Of course there is publicity.

As for the headline, she wanted to introduce Caitlyn to the world. Her story isn't that she's a 65 year old model, her story is that she's Caitlyn in public for the first time. She said in the clip, "as soon as the Vanity Fair cover comes out, I'm free." She wanted to control her own press and to tell her own story, and she's getting that.

Last edited by Little Pink Pill; 01 June 2015 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 01 June 2015, 08:37 PM

And the publicity may help other transgender people.
Old 01 June 2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriah View Post
Also, I don't want to pick on you (you just happen to be there) but a thing that should be mentioned "transgendered" is generally not considered accurate. Being transgender isn't a thing that happens to a person like being painted, it's a thing they are like being black so they are a "transgender person," like you'd say "black person."
I believe I've mentioned my dislike of the autocorrect spelling feature on my computer before.
Old 01 June 2015, 09:36 PM

Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
And the publicity may help other transgender people.
That is a hope that many trans folk have expressed.
Old 01 June 2015, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I believe I've mentioned my dislike of the autocorrect spelling feature on my computer before.
Well that irks me quite a bit. I know how to "fix" a person not knowing the preferred term, I (politely, I hope) tell them. But I assume that you didn't personally set that up in your autocorrect which means it's in the autocorrect database used by loads of people and I don't know how to fix that.
Old 01 June 2015, 11:40 PM

It's a weird thing. I'd love to turn it off, but it never stays off and it's constantly making strange choices for words that are spelled correctly and yet somehow doesn't catch actually misspelled words. But yes, I meant to post "transgender" rather than "transgendered."
Old 01 June 2015, 11:50 PM

Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arriah View Post
Well that irks me quite a bit. I know how to "fix" a person not knowing the preferred term, I (politely, I hope) tell them.
Interestingly, perhaps only to myself, the only person I didn't know how to correct was my therapist. She doesn't deal with transgender people as a rule and since I am both trans and bipolar, every now and then it over laps. It sort of caught me unawares when she did it.
Old 01 June 2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
I wish her the best, though I do wish the media feeding frenzy would go away.
Have you only just noticed how trivial and ubiquitous most of the Kardashian/Jenner news is? Staying in the media all the time is their full time job, and it requires a lot of active participation on their part. It doesn't just happen; there are plenty of people with more reason to be famous who aren't constantly in the media all the time. She could not have a reality show and stop actively feeding the media stories, and it would eventually die down.
Old 02 June 2015, 12:03 AM

Quite honestly, my brain automatically ignores anything I see the word "Kardashian" in. I didn't hear anything until the newsfeeds I check that normally focus on politics and national news started printing stuff about "Bruce Jenner is getting a sex change!" instead of talking about the drought in California or the looming deadline for renewing the Patriot Act.
Old 02 June 2015, 02:42 PM

Since my knowledge of the Kardashians is limited to magazine covers and what little I see of "entertainment" news before I switch the channel it took me a while to figure out why the Kardashians were interested in Bruce Jenner and felt that their opinion on this mattered. Thank god (I guess) for the Internet, I am now fully informed.
Old 03 June 2015, 01:16 AM

Mouse

I am frequently torn by whether I should admire or be appalled by the Kardashians', along with anyone tangentially related to them, ability to manage to continue to be famous despite having no discernible skills outside of, y'know, hogging the spotlight. Okay, to be fair, Caitlyn Jenner was an Olympian before getting roped into this sideshow, but, y'know people remember her involvement with the Kardashian sideshow rather than her gold medals.

I mean, I thought Paris Hilton had chutzpah, but her turn at being famous for being famous, eventually dried up. Whereas the unholy triumvirate that is Kim-Kourtney-Khloe, along with the other K-names in that family, shows no sign of stopping any time soon.

Though, I will wish that if we were going to have a culture of people being famous for being famous, can't they be more like Mr. T? During the 80s, he managed to become famous for being himself and by being himself, I mean, by being legally insane by anyone's definition of the term. The dude actually changed his named to Mr. T. 'Nuff Said.

But at the same time, what I've seen and heard about Mr. T, is that despite being completely insane, he is a genuinely nice guy. Which is why in the meme debate that reigns eternal, the Chuck Norris vs. Mr. T debate, I always side with Mr. T. Because unlike Chuck Norris, Mr. T isn't a rancid bigot.

So for those going "tl;dr," I'm asking that if we have a culture of people being famous for being famous, can they at least be lovably insane, so their antics won't get tiring?
Old 03 June 2015, 01:59 AM

So Caitlyn is still considered transgender, even though she is identifying as a woman? Is she transgender if she has gender reassignment surgery? At what point is she just considered to be a woman, instead of a transgender woman? Ever?

I ask because I really don't know. I would have thought she was considered a woman as soon as she began using her new name/pronouns/identifying herself as one.
Old 03 June 2015, 02:26 AM

Chef

Quote:
It's a weird thing. I'd love to turn it off, but it never stays off and it's constantly making strange choices for words that are spelled correctly and yet somehow doesn't catch actually misspelled words. But yes, I meant to post "transgender" rather than "transgendered."

My phone's auto-correct changes Rand Paul to RuPaul which amuses me greatly.
Old 03 June 2015, 02:34 AM

Hmm, if we could only change the actual Rand Paul into RuPaul...
Old 03 June 2015, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
So Caitlyn is still considered transgender, even though she is identifying as a woman? Is she transgender if she has gender reassignment surgery? At what point is she just considered to be a woman, instead of a transgender woman? Ever?
Yes, that's what transgender is. She will continue to be both transgender, and a woman, indefinitely. Transgender is not an intermediate state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillandSilent View Post
I would have thought she was considered a woman as soon as she began using her new name/pronouns/identifying herself as one.
And she is. There is no contradiction there. Transgender/cisgender is orthogonal to that.
Old 03 June 2015, 02:38 AM

Ah, I see.