snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 29 April 2015, 06:23 PM

Default France outcry over Muslim schoolgirl's skirt ban

Quote:
France is facing a fresh backlash against its strict secular policy after it emerged a 15-year-old Muslim girl was sent home from school because she was wearing a long black skirt.

The student, named as Sarah, was twice blocked from classes because the principal said her skirt broke a ban on religious signs in schools.

The girl removed her headscarf but said the skirt was not a religious symbol.
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-32510606

To a certain extent, this seems to be a typical "Head teacher confuses job with that of petty dictator" story we see fairly frequently around the world. However, I do think that it highlights the real problem with the ban on religious symbols - i.e. that it's a vague law that massively oversteps into what should be entirely personal decisions.

And, of course, it's not a shock that all the cases seem to be against Muslim students.
Old 29 April 2015, 06:36 PM

An asinine interpretation of an asinine law.
Old 30 April 2015, 11:09 PM

She would never be accused of dressing inappropriately for work if she wore a long skirt in an office or in a lab or in retail or pretty much most workplace environments. If uniforms are supposed to prepare children and teenagers for the realities of adult dress codes then many schools fail.

My own included. I was repeatedly screeched at for wearing colourful socks or hair elastics, or for wearing a navy blue coat instead of a black one despite the fact that I was told a 'dark' coat was the rule, or for wearing smart ankle boots instead of shoes when I was told 'smart footwear' was the rule. By not allowing me even the slightest discretion over my own preferences I ended up with a lot of anxiety about what is appropriate for work. I can take about two hours trying on different clothes before I decide I'm smart enough, and often still have a niggling suspicion that there's something about me that's too 'casual'.

If Sarah changes to a shorter skirt I wouldn't be surprised if she's told off for her skirt being too short. Even a knee-length skirt bunches up some times. I remember being told off for that too.
Old 30 April 2015, 11:31 PM

a simple search in Google images will show hundreds of examples of ankle length skirts for casual wear. It's a not unusual fashion choice for girls, at least in the U.S. Do teens in Europe only wear long skirts when their religion dictates it?
Old 01 May 2015, 12:40 AM

Not when I was teaching there. I had plenty of friends and students who wore long skirts as a fashion choice. They were university students, but close enough.
Old 01 May 2015, 01:28 AM

What, a law passed with racist intentions is being used to discriminate? Pffff.

Just a reminder this law was upheld by the European Court of Human Rights under the argument that "enforcing culture" was a valid reason to ban articles of clothing.

Nobody is fooled about the "secularist" intentions of laws like this. Nobody seemed all that worried about secularist traditions until brown immigrants with foreign religions were deemed a problem.
Old 01 May 2015, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
a simple search in Google images will show hundreds of examples of ankle length skirts for casual wear. It's a not unusual fashion choice for girls, at least in the U.S. Do teens in Europe only wear long skirts when their religion dictates it?
Due to the cold weather in most of Europe, long skirts, or trousers, are very common.
Old 01 May 2015, 02:15 AM

There have been several women that I have known over the years that have worn only dark plan colored skirts and dress. Blouses could be of any solid color as long as it was not to bright. The front of the dress or blouse was always buttoned up to the neck. In all these cases it was because of their Christian beliefs.

So as I see it, long dark skirts are not just a Muslim thing.
Old 01 May 2015, 04:32 AM

France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan View Post
Nobody seemed all that worried about secularist traditions until brown immigrants with foreign religions were deemed a problem.
I totally agree with your sentiment but there was that whole thing called the French Revolution. So this kind of thing did start a long time before foreign religions showed up. Although, arguably, that history they should make them that much more wary of such bans.