snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 28 August 2018, 06:21 PM

Huh, weird. I hadn't thought about National Lampoon's Vacation for years but soon after posting about its theme song here I watched the new Red Letter Media review which mentions it a whole lot.
Old 28 August 2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Video unavailable
This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.
Guess I should have looked the first time if I was going to.
Old 28 August 2018, 07:45 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
When I was a lot younger, I had to contend with hearing people sing Delta Dawn all the time.
I don't think anyone whose name is in a song ends up liking that song. A friend in high school hated the Beatle's Michelle, and I can't say I'm wild about I'm Not Lisa (darn you, Crystal Gayle).

Seaboe
Old 28 August 2018, 07:53 PM

I wonder what happened there - did too many people from here go to that video and it caused someone to notice? I watched it earlier, but it's gone now.
As for what was so weird, the video was a crappy office with Lindsey Buckingham singing the song. The female office workers stand up to do the "whoa-oh-oh-oh" bit, there's a weird bit where one of them leans back to show off her chest, and bars or walls keep blocking anyone from looking outside. And there is the occasional boss overlord popping up. The comments assured me that Lindsey Buckingham was smoking hot back in his day.

As to not liking songs with your name in them, it's really only "Take a Chance on Me" that bugs me. It just worked really well for kids to sing at me. There are a whole lot of songs with Chance in the lyrics, and that was the only one I got hit with.
Old 28 August 2018, 10:25 PM

When I was in high school, I was tall, thin, wore glasses, named Doug, and so sometimes was called Doug from Nickelodeon. My friend's little brother told his kindergarten teacher that Doug from Nickelodeon came over to play with him sometimes. His teacher told him that was just his imagination, that Doug didn't really exist. The little brother got adamant that Doug DID, and DID come over to play. Finally the teacher called my buddy's mom, who told the teacher that yes, Doug from Nickelodeon did come over to play. After some confusion on the part of the teacher, the mom explained, and said that maybe next time, investigate a bit before disbelieving a kid.
Old 28 August 2018, 11:20 PM

There's a web comic I follow that is annoying me at the moment. The comic uses stills from movies, and changes the plot with dialog. For the current movie, they took two fans of the series who had not seen one of the latest, and had them give reactions to what is going on below the strip. I wasn't looking for it, but getting their take was actually a bit entertaining.

Until a month or two ago, when one of the two became too busy to update their comments, and the updates would be filled in later. So we only got one person updating for a while. Then a couple of weeks ago, that one said something about being unable to suspend their disbelief any more. Now we get no commentary, but every new strip says that one of them has been too busy and will be filled in later, and the other's comments will be in too late to be attached when the strip goes live.

Now, people get busy and have other things going on. They don't owe me a thing about continuing. But it still annoys me that they continue to say that everything will be filled in soon. We are rapidly approaching the end, so I don't see any way that I ever catch any additional commentary.
Old 29 August 2018, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Credence View Post
I wonder what happened there - did too many people from here go to that video and it caused someone to notice? I watched it earlier, but it's gone now.
As for what was so weird, the video was a crappy office with Lindsey Buckingham singing the song. The female office workers stand up to do the "whoa-oh-oh-oh" bit, there's a weird bit where one of them leans back to show off her chest, and bars or walls keep blocking anyone from looking outside. And there is the occasional boss overlord popping up. The comments assured me that Lindsey Buckingham was smoking hot back in his day.
A friend of mine find a copy of the video with the sound removed so here's a doubled up version where the lip synching doesn't quite match up.

They were obviously trying for a weird dystopian/1984 vibe (the typewriters have blank keys and no ink, the office is a huge factory-like building with concrete walls, the Big Boss looms over the workers from a desk that is about two stories high, etc etc) but didn't quite have the budget to pull it off.
Old 29 August 2018, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I don't think anyone whose name is in a song ends up liking that song. A friend in high school hated the Beatle's Michelle, and I can't say I'm wild about I'm Not Lisa (darn you, Crystal Gayle).

Seaboe
I had a friend in high school called Michelle. I don't know her opinion of the song. But my friend at Uni called Michelle hated it. Or at least didn't like it when her mum would sing it to her. Mind you it isn't one of their best. Rhyming Michelle to my belle

Not meaning to side track by those two girls called Michelle...remarkable similar in many ways. Born a day apart to start with (a week before me).

Looked very similar, both had older parents...both became teachers.

Last edited by Dasla; 29 August 2018 at 03:25 AM. Reason: twice I typed here for her...I don't know why.
Old 29 August 2018, 10:04 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Preaching to the choir!
We lost background,music for both the lobby and the restaurant at the hotel for roughly 6 weekends to storm damage. I'm reliably told that the diners hated it- they could hear other tables eating and talking and complained frequently until it was fixed.

We hated it at the front desk because it was hard to pass on issues without guests overhearing.

So it can serve a purpose.
Old 29 August 2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasla View Post
Mind you it isn't one of their best. Rhyming Michelle to my belle
I can assure you, in French, Michelle and belle do rhyme.
Old 29 August 2018, 02:35 PM

And don't they actually sing "Michelle, ma belle" (in French)?
Old 29 August 2018, 03:10 PM

Glasses

Yes, as well as sont les mots qui vont tres bien ensemble

Seaboe
Old 29 August 2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I don't think anyone whose name is in a song ends up liking that song.
Seaboe
I hate being called Bobby. No one is allowed to call me that.

Save for Marcie Blaine and Darlene Love.

Photo "Love those songs but don't call me Bobby" Bob
Old 30 August 2018, 12:18 AM

Huge boxes, full of so many of those plastic air pods, to ship one item nowhere near the size of the box.

I will be taking the air pods to UPS or the post office to see if they will accept them for reuse. Just annoying that that now becomes a chore I have to do after receiving the package.
Old 30 August 2018, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
I will be taking the air pods to UPS or the post office to see if they will accept them for reuse.
I usually deflate them and recycle them with my plastic bags. Assuming you have someplace that accepts them.
Old 30 August 2018, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
I can assure you, in French, Michelle and belle do rhyme.
I'd been trying to work out why it wouldn't rhyme for Dasla even in English! What do those words sound like in Australia? Or is it just a bit corny for your taste?
Old 01 September 2018, 06:50 PM

Heh, I wish it was just a song with my name in it.
Old 01 September 2018, 07:15 PM

France

Be grateful your name is not on a famous stand-up comedian's skit. I have hated Coluche for years because of that. But of course, at the time, I was mercilessly bullied, and using that catchphrase was one of the ways other kids bullied me.
Old 01 September 2018, 08:13 PM

For all of you who are annoyed by sharing a name with a celebrity:

Old 02 September 2018, 01:51 AM

I ordered a sub online today. When I got home I discovered they'd put black pepper on it instead of green peppers, and they left out the pickles.

I often place an order online to save time, but this is the second time I've had a problem with this particular store getting my order wrong. I'm either going to have to go with a different shop from now or stand in line and watch them make my sandwich even though it's busy and crowded on Saturdays.
Closed Thread