snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 02 August 2018, 03:04 PM

True, our photographer sucked in too many ways to describe. I regret having him (though I didn't hire him.) However, DH and I had our 35th anniversary this year, some of the pictures were good, so all and all it's a pretty minor regret. Ime, years from now this stuff won't seem so grim.

My only real regret is I can't and will quite probably never fit in that size 5 dress again.
Old 02 August 2018, 03:19 PM

I think that photography is way overdone in weddings especially when it is not uncommon to spend an hour or more taking pictures between wedding and reception. In almost every case, few of these pictures are made into prints and most of those end up in an album to gather dust.

At the last wedding I officiated, for two people who are close friends, we passed around a couple of flasks during the photography. The groom, his attendants and I were pretty much drunk before the reception. When I pulled the flask out, the photographer said, "there's always a trouble-maker, but its usually not the minister."
Old 02 August 2018, 03:33 PM

There is nothing that annoys me more when I go to a wedding then when the ceremony is at 3 and the reception starts hours later so that the wedding party can go someplace else to take endless pictures. I don't know when this became commonplace at weddings, it certainly wasn't the way things were done when I was in my 20s and attending countless weddings for friends, siblings and cousins! I agree with Beachlife - most of the time these photos end up in an album (or nowadays on a memory stick) and get trotted out to be looked at once in a very blue moon.
Old 02 August 2018, 03:47 PM

Glasses

On the other side of the wedding picture debate...

After my mother died, their wedding album brought my father great comfort. He looked at it every day for months.

Seaboe
Old 02 August 2018, 04:00 PM

It isn't having pictures of the wedding that are the issue for me - it's the process and the cost attached to it that I think has gotten out of hand. I don't think the finished product (usually) is worth the time, effort and expense that goes into it. Some nice pictures to commemorate the day? Of course! Hundreds upon hundreds of posed shots that cost thousands of dollars? Not so much value IMO.
Old 02 August 2018, 05:14 PM

Yeah, we had a great photographer who just took photos during the ceremony, and then spent about 10 minutes taking photos of the families afterwards, while people were eating. He was very lowkey and unobtrusive, and a great guy. We ended up staying friends with him, and have recommended him to several people since then. One cool thing: he is totally colorblind, which seems to help him focus on the details.
Old 02 August 2018, 05:46 PM

If I were to change anything, is that I changed out of my wedding dress to a "going away outfit". I only wore my wedding dress for 8 hours or so, and I could have worn it in the car / on the ferry and could have had some fun with it instead of treating as a precious heirloom (it was new and has been sitting in a box for the last 20 some years).

Different topic, due to the discussion about what a woman in Kokomo, Indiana would have a car in 1976. I checked with my parents, and they had a Fiat as their first car. Which means in their 50 plus years of marriage, they have had only one car which was manufactured and branded as an American car. Guess that makes them un-American, even though they are both the result of many (> 5) generations of Americans procreating in America.
Old 02 August 2018, 06:59 PM

[mandatory star wars quote]It is time for overpriced wedding photography to end[/mandatory star wars quote]

Wedding photographers are expensive, and they take a lot of time... time that could be used for other things...

Old 02 August 2018, 08:42 PM

Glasses

Die Capacitrix, my family makes up for it. Shorter time in the U.S. (circa 1924 for my grandparents), but my family drove only American brands until my father got his Toyota pickup in 1984 (and my cousin P, one year older than I am, bought her first Japanese branded vehicle in 2016).

ETA: Oops, I'm wrong, it was when he bought the Honda in 1981.

Seaboe
Old 02 August 2018, 10:46 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
[mandatory star wars quote]It is time for overpriced wedding photography to end[/mandatory star wars quote]

Wedding photographers are expensive, and they take a lot of time... time that could be used for other things...

I used a local photographer who was just finishing a media arts course at college. Photos were fantastic. Cost me $300, but that was 1/5 what the pro wanted. And I'm not sure the quality of the pro would have been that much better.
Old 02 August 2018, 11:09 PM

We used the local police department's crime scene photographer. Great shots, but we had to lie on the ground.

The first part is true, her main job was as the crime scene photographer, wedding photos was just a hobby.
Old 03 August 2018, 02:34 AM

Icon108

The photographer I wanted was my friend and ex highschool teacher. He ended up having neck surgery a week or so prior to the wedding, and couldn't do it. He suggested another teacher who also monlighted as a wedding photographer. My first guy gave me a list of poses plus he'd do candid shots too. Second guy turned his nose up to a list and said he liked to do it his way. It was too late to change, so we were stuck with him.

Anyway, every shot with my sister in it had her eyes closed. We had several shots of DH and his young daughters taken.
When we went to pick out the proofs, he (photographer) informed us that he didn't do proofs. He only printed what he thought were the best shots and created our album for us.

Photographer spent half of the picture time after the ceremony kissing the minister's butt ( a genuine pervert who was also foisted on us last minute). So two poses I very much wanted, I never got. In addition, back to the issue of the multiple shots he took of DH and my step daughters, we did not want the way creepy pic of the perv minister that photographer thuoght we should have, this is when he insisted that no other prints existed at all, and we'd have to take the perv guys pic anyway. This was a blatant lie, because my mother in law purchased a small album from him that contained one of the other shots of DH and my step daughters. We tossed the pervs pic.

There really is more, but I'll spare you. Like I said it was 35 years ago. It was all overwhelming and infuriating then now it"s just sort of an irritating memory.

Tl;Dr: arrogant photographer, perverted minister neither my choice. Eh, I'm still married 35 years later.
Old 03 August 2018, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
There is nothing that annoys me more when I go to a wedding then when the ceremony is at 3 and the reception starts hours later so that the wedding party can go someplace else to take endless pictures. I don't know when this became commonplace at weddings
I agree with this, and it's something I was careful to avoid at my own wedding. We mixed things up a little bit; the wedding and reception were both in my parents' backyard, and we took pictures out front while the guests arrived, pausing to greet everyone as they came in. I didn't care about a big reveal, so the photo session kinda doubled as a low-key receiving line. We started with cocktail hour, so everyone got facetime with my folks and my husband and me, then refreshments, right when they arrived. Then we had the ceremony, first dance and a little more dancing, then dinner and toasts, then more dancing, then we squeezed cake in there somewhere. Also there was cornhole off to the side, for those not into drinking and dancing. Other than a few posed shots before the ceremony, all our photos are candids. I'm still very pleased with those choices.
Old 03 August 2018, 03:10 AM

OK, what does " Cornhole off to the side " mean?
Old 03 August 2018, 03:23 AM

I think it is referring to that game, which I usually associate with Ohio, involving tossing bean bags into a hole.
Old 03 August 2018, 03:24 AM

Baseball

https://www.cornholehowto.com/how-to-play/

Does this help?
Old 03 August 2018, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanz View Post
OK, what does " Cornhole off to the side " mean?
I think there are probably two different answers depending on the maturity of the audience.
Old 03 August 2018, 06:18 AM

Haha yes, I suppose one could read all kinds of things into that, but it's beanbag toss game that's having a hipster moment. We got into it at a local brewery that has a set, and we weren't the first dorks to have it at our wedding.
Old 03 August 2018, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
I think there are probably two different answers depending on the maturity of the audience.
As the resident immature idiot I can assure you I had no such intentions
Old 04 August 2018, 03:01 AM

Oh such thoughts lurked in my head too. We call it Baggo in these parts.