snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 02 January 2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
ETA: Wasn't the Statue of Liberty delivered for our centennial in 1876?
Yes, I think so. Although I'm not sure when the whole thing was assembled. I suppose I could Google it, since it doesn't seem to be related to the trivia questions.
Old 02 January 2018, 04:57 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. New research from 2016 has settled the longstanding question of just how much of what object was delivered to a French maid named Gabrielle Berlatier on December 23, 1888?
Well, it can't be Rasputin's manhood, since he wasn't dead yet. I'm going to guess it was Napoleon's instead.
Quote:

2. What popular consumer item comes complete with two "Joy-Cons"?
Haven't a clue. Seriously. I'm assuming it's electronic, whatever it is.
Quote:

3. What actor who died in November 2017 was one of the few civilians ever to be named an honorary U.S. Marine, and was "promoted" to lance corporal in 2001?
Jim Nabors.
Quote:

4. In what U.S. state could you find the type of low-lying terrain known as muskeg?
Georgia? It's a southern state, definitely ETA: ...and, no, it's not.
Quote:

5. What's the unusual English translation of the medical principle "Primum non nocere"?
First, do no harm.
Quote:

6. According to Plutarch, what historical figure sliced apart the Gordian Knot?
Alexander the Great
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these British prime ministers, and no others? Walpole, Newcastle, Liverpool, Wellington, Melbourne, Salisbury, Asquith, Baldwin, and Churchill?
They all wrote best selling books.

Seaboe
Old 02 January 2018, 05:41 PM

Australia

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these British prime ministers, and no others? Walpole, Newcastle, Liverpool, Wellington, Melbourne, Salisbury, Asquith, Baldwin, and Churchill? Not sure about the "and no other" part, but that list looks awfully like a string of Australian/New Zealand towns and cities
Old 02 January 2018, 05:51 PM

1. Van Gogh's ear.

2. The Nintendo Switch.

3. Jim Nabors.

4. Alaska.

5. First, do no harm.

6. Alexander the Great.

7. Nothing comes to mind.
Old 02 January 2018, 06:05 PM

Baseball 1 for sure, and I'd say up to 3 others.

1. Looking at the date, I would guess Van Gogh's ear.

2. A video game system. Joystick Controller? I'll say Nintendo

3. Jim Nabors? We talked about him quite a bit.

4. I'd say Louisiana

5. First do no harm?

6. Jason, of the Golden Fleece fame

7. All were former serving members of the military.
Old 02 January 2018, 07:01 PM

4. In what U.S. state could you find the type of low-lying terrain known as muskeg?

Alaska.

5. What's the unusual English translation of the medical principle "Primum non nocere"?

First, do no harm -- at least, if that should read 'the usual translation'. If he really means the unusual translation, I've no idea.

Alexander the Great.
Old 02 January 2018, 07:57 PM

Glasses

Re question 7--I think SatansHobbit's got it.

Seaboe
Old 09 January 2018, 12:36 PM

Greetings, all. This is Ken Jennings' 600th trivia installment.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. New research from 2016 has settled the longstanding question of just how much of what object was delivered to a French maid named Gabrielle Berlatier on December 23, 1888?
Art scholars have long disagreed on just how much of his ear Vincent van Gogh cut off in 1888: the whole thing, or just the lobe? A recently unearthed letter from his doctor definitively demonstrates (with diagrams!) that the genius painter never did anything halfway.

2. What popular consumer item comes complete with two "Joy-Cons"?
Those are the new controllers on the Switch, the Nintendo gaming console my son is probably playing right now after I asked him to go do his homework.

3. What actor who died in November 2017 was one of the few civilians ever to be named an honorary U.S. Marine, and was "promoted" to lance corporal in 2001?
The late Jim Nabors. Gomer Pyle is no longer a private.

Muskeg is a moss bog found in Arctic climates, and the term is mostly used in northern Canada...and Alaska.

"First, do no harm."

Alexander the Great was apparently never a Boy Scout.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these British prime ministers, and no others? Walpole, Newcastle, Liverpool, Wellington, Melbourne, Salisbury, Asquith, Baldwin, and Churchill.
These are all the prime ministers who were in office for the crowning of a new sovereign. Due to the longevity of Queens Victoria and Elizabeth, it's an honor that almost no 19th-century PMs--and no modern ones since Churchill--have been able to claim.

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. Katy Perry, Alice Cooper, and Jessica Simpson were all raised by fathers with what profession in common?

2. The Roman general who conquered Britain is best known by what name, the Latin for "farmer"?

3. What 1984 movie is the only film in the Internet Movie Database whose user score is always listed out of 11 stars, not 10?

4. Two physicists won the 2015 Nobel Prize for discovering that at least some neutrinos have mass. Name either of the two known elementary particles--both "force carriers"--still thought to be massless.

5. What Spanish businessman was the first settler given a permit in 1795 to bottle the previously banned product of tequila?

6. In what groundbreaking "nonfiction novel" of 1966 does Perry Smith say of Herbert Clutter, "I thought he was a very nice gentleman. I thought so right up to the moment I cut his throat"?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Courteney Cox, Micky Dolenz, Tom Ford, Thomas Hardy, Thomas Jefferson, William Morris, Queen Noor, Anthony Quinn, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Seal, George Takei, Roger Waters.

Enjoy!
Old 09 January 2018, 12:54 PM

Whalephant

#3 is This is Spinal Tap.

#6 is In Cold Blood.

#7 is they all danced with Bruce Springsteen in a music video.
Old 09 January 2018, 12:56 PM

1. Katy Perry, Alice Cooper, and Jessica Simpson were all raised by fathers with what profession in common?

Ministers

2. The Roman general who conquered Britain is best known by what name, the Latin for "farmer"?

Agricola

3. What 1984 movie is the only film in the Internet Movie Database whose user score is always listed out of 11 stars, not 10?

Should be Spinal tap

4. Two physicists won the 2015 Nobel Prize for discovering that at least some neutrinos have mass. Name either of the two known elementary particles--both "force carriers"--still thought to be massless.

Electron
Old 09 January 2018, 01:00 PM

I like last week's (in this thread anyway) question 7. I didn't see it at the time and I'd never have got the answer, but it's a great question.

If he'd waited a year or two and "May" or "Corbyn" or some other as yet unimagined person had ended up on the list, it might have given it away!

1. Clergymen / ministers I believe. I can think of others who could be on that list - Tori Amos for example.

2. Agricola.

3. Ha ha, This is Spinal Tap.

4. Well given I studied physics it would be embarrassing if I couldn't get this one. Photons and gravitons. (Although I'm not sure the second one is part of the standard model, or "known" in the sense of "detected" either... but the force carrier for the weak nuclear force definitely has mass, and I think the gluon, for strong nuclear force, does as well. I'm a bit less sure than I should be! Since it only asks to name one of them, the first is definitely right though.)

5. A guess based on the name - Josť Cuervo.

6. I haven't read it, but what's that one by Truman Capote - In Cold Blood?

Quote:
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Courteney Cox, Micky Dolenz, Tom Ford, Thomas Hardy, Thomas Jefferson, William Morris, Queen Noor, Anthony Quinn, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Seal, George Takei, Roger Waters.
That's an interesting list... I assume that's Thomas Hardy the author not Tom Hardy the actor, but that assumption doesn't help me to think of anything! I've heard of nearly all of them for once, but can't think of what they might have in common...

Last edited by Richard W; 09 January 2018 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Because having "head of" them means something different, and that is definitely not something they have in common!
Old 09 January 2018, 01:26 PM

1. Don't know.

2. Don't know.

3. This is Spinal Tap.

4. Electron.

5. Jose Cuervo.

6. In Cold Blood.

7. Nothing comes to mind.
Old 09 January 2018, 03:31 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

they were dentists.
Quote:

I'm going with Agrippa, due solely to the similarity to Agriculture.
Quote:

This is Spinal Tap. True story: my sister was hit by Spinal Tap's limo (she wasn't hurt).
Quote:

I'll say protons and neutrinos, although since I'm not up on particle physics I'm probably wrong.
Quote:

5. What Spanish businessman was the first settler given a permit in 1795 to bottle the previously banned product of tequila?
Juan Patron?
Quote:

6. In what groundbreaking "nonfiction novel" of 1966 does Perry Smith say of Herbert Clutter, "I thought he was a very nice gentleman. I thought so right up to the moment I cut his throat"?
In Cold Blood.
Quote:

That is a very interesting collection. But is that William Morris the furniture maker or some other William Morris? Not that it matters, since I have no clue what Queen Noor and Micky Dolenz would have in common.

Seaboe
Old 09 January 2018, 03:43 PM

Isn't there a William Morris (talent) Agency? Could be that William Morris. Not that that helps me, either.
Old 09 January 2018, 03:53 PM

Glasses

See? How can you figure out what they have in common if you don't know which person with the same name he's asking about.

Seaboe
Old 09 January 2018, 03:59 PM

Maybe the talent agent is the same as the furniture maker. Benjamin Franklin was both a founding father and a plumber, Ethan Allan was a Revolutionary fighter and a furniture salesman.
Old 09 January 2018, 05:45 PM

1. Katy Perry, Alice Cooper, and Jessica Simpson were all raised by fathers with what profession in common? ministry/preaching

2. The Roman general who conquered Britain is best known by what name, the Latin for "farmer"? Agrippa?

3. What 1984 movie is the only film in the Internet Movie Database whose user score is always listed out of 11 stars, not 10? This Is Spinal Tap Darn formatting won't let me put the umlaut over the n.

4. Two physicists won the 2015 Nobel Prize for discovering that at least some neutrinos have mass. Name either of the two known elementary particles--both "force carriers"--still thought to be massless. Tachyon?

5. What Spanish businessman was the first settler given a permit in 1795 to bottle the previously banned product of tequila? Josť Cuervo?

6. In what groundbreaking "nonfiction novel" of 1966 does Perry Smith say of Herbert Clutter, "I thought he was a very nice gentleman. I thought so right up to the moment I cut his throat"? In Cold Blood

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Courteney Cox, Micky Dolenz, Tom Ford, Thomas Hardy, Thomas Jefferson, William Morris, Queen Noor, Anthony Quinn, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, Seal, George Takei, Roger Waters. Hmm... I feel like I should be able to get this one, being at least somewhat familiar with the vast majority of the list. Can't figure out the commonality at the moment, though.
Old 09 January 2018, 06:28 PM

Reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Maybe the talent agent is the same as the furniture maker. Benjamin Franklin was both a founding father and a plumber, Ethan Allan was a Revolutionary fighter and a furniture salesman.
The furniture maker was also a writer, artist, textile designer, activist, etc., etc. but he was not the talent agent.
Old 09 January 2018, 07:56 PM

For number 7, you can add to the list roughly half the male characters from American sitcoms and romantic comedies. They all studied architecture.
Old 13 January 2018, 12:26 AM

Baseball 1 for sure, and I'd say up to 3 others.

1. Barber

2. Hadrian?

3. This is Spinal Tap

4. Photon?

5. Juan Valdez?

6. Mutiny on the Bounty

7. I haven't got a scooby.