snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Rantidote

Closed Thread

Old 08 January 2018, 05:07 PM

Icon02

Excel is acting up today--all I want to do is close a document and said document will not close.
Old 08 January 2018, 07:35 PM

Glasses

Okay, this is a really stupid suggestion, but have you tried clicking into a different cell before trying to close it? I know that works when you've been editing a cell, but sometimes it works in other situations as well.

Seaboe
Old 09 January 2018, 01:26 PM

I will try that if the program acts up again. Thanks.
Old 10 January 2018, 12:05 AM

I recently got a Nest thermostat. One of the reasons I got it was that it's supposed to automatically detect whether I'm home or not based on the location of my phone and automatically turn down the temperature when I'm not home. Except it isn't. It seems to be staying in "home" mode unless I manually switch it to "away" in the app. It seems to be correctly determining that the phone's location is "not home" based on what it displays in the settings screen, but it's not switching to away mode. I could just set a schedule based on when I'm normally at work, except I get every other Friday off, and it's schedule isn't sophisticated enough to understand the concept of "every other week", so I'd have to change it manually on the days I'm at home. And if I had to do that it would be no better than my old thermostat, which could be programmed to run on a simple schedule but had to be manually overridden on the Fridays I'm home. The whole reason I got the Nest was so it would do it automatically.
Old 10 January 2018, 03:16 PM

Glasses

Complain to the company. It's not like they can punish you by making the thermostat not work properly.

My FWP is that once again, as it does on occasion, my mouse has decided that certain random clicks should count as double clicks instead. The banging that someone (Karyn?) suggested does seem to work, but the problem always comes back eventually.

Seaboe
Old 10 January 2018, 03:27 PM

Considering what you probably paid for the Nest, and that I just bought a basic, but well-reviewed (CNET) 5-2 programmable thermostat for $30, I definitely think you should complain.
Old 10 January 2018, 03:31 PM

Seaboe, have you tried increasing the length of the double-click delay? It could be that the mouse is sending to rapid clicks for some reason.
Old 10 January 2018, 03:50 PM

Glasses

Yup, one of the first things I did. Didn't help. The only thing that has helped was the suggestion that I bang the mouse against the desk when it starts doing this.

Just about the most frustrating thing is the randomness. If I could properly predict when it would slip into "all clicks are double" mode, I could figure out what is causing it.

Seaboe
Old 10 January 2018, 04:58 PM

Use a hammer to jar the mouse a little bit. If that doesn't work, use the hammer more vigorously and then buy a new mouse.

*No actual rodents were harmed in testing this repair method.
Old 10 January 2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
Considering what you probably paid for the Nest, and that I just bought a basic, but well-reviewed (CNET) 5-2 programmable thermostat for $30, I definitely think you should complain.
Well the Nest did come with a $75 rebate from my electric utility, but still way more than $30. And it came with a free Google Home Mini, which I didn't really want, which is also kind of a first world problem.
Old 10 January 2018, 08:19 PM

Icon106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post

My FWP is that once again, as it does on occasion, my mouse has decided that certain random clicks should count as double clicks instead. The banging that someone (Karyn?) suggested does seem to work, but the problem always comes back eventually.

Seaboe
I hate that! The mouse that controls the music program at the station occasionally fires of twice. I will finish a talk break and start the next song and it will click twice. This means the next item on the list fires off. Since most of the splitters are only about 2 seconds long, it means they run before I can catch them. And then they start the next spot which means I can have two songs or worse, a song and an ad, running at the same time.
Old 10 January 2018, 09:14 PM

Mice are cheep. Buy a new one.
Old 11 January 2018, 02:53 PM

Glasses

Mine is a special, heated mouse (for ergonomic reasons). When it dies, I'm not going to replace it with another heated mouse. That way, if it acts up again, getting a new one with be easier.

Seaboe.

And I think you mean that mice don't cost very much, not that they make sounds like baby chickens.
Old 11 January 2018, 02:59 PM

That would be awesome the first couple of times, but after a while I'm afraid I'd have to go the hammer route.
Old 11 January 2018, 03:14 PM

You should see my method of re-booting a computer. It involves putting on my steel toed work boots.
Old 11 January 2018, 05:09 PM

Richard W, great minds think alike! I have big shoes for my big feet and I still have a kick like a mule!
Old 11 January 2018, 05:14 PM

Although I'm flattered to be thought of as a great mind, it was RichardM who said that, not me!
Old 12 January 2018, 01:59 PM

I was at the doctors the other day to get a script refill. While I was there I got him to check a sore spot on my foot that felt like a planters wart. It wasn't enough to make an appointment on it's own but since I was there to get the script I thought I would have it checked out. He could see nothing, even with a magnifying lens. Today I am pretty sure it is a wart and there is something to see.

Not sure if I will make an appointment to get it removed, might try the old lemon essential oil route first. Not sure if it is an old wife's tail but it has worked for me in the past.
Old 12 January 2018, 03:25 PM

I don't know if it's so in this particular case; but old wives, like old husbands, sometimes do know what they're talking about.
Old 12 January 2018, 03:38 PM

There's also the duct tape method. According to the Mayo Clinic website:

Quote:
Duct tape. Using duct tape to remove warts is a harmless but unproven approach. To try it, cover the wart with silver duct tape, changing it every few days. Between applications, soak the wart and gently remove dead tissue with a pumice stone or emery board. Then leave the wart open to the air to dry for a few hours before covering it with tape again.
Closed Thread