snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 26 March 2011, 09:40 PM
goo321

Default Japanese girl makeup transformation

Looks like it came from a video. i assume it's real.
Old 29 March 2011, 05:07 PM

I may be missing the point, but I don't see anything remarkable between the before and after shots. They're not even that dissimilar. I wouldn't even really call it a "transformation". Just a girl with make-up on.
Old 29 March 2011, 05:29 PM

Yes, that's pretty basic, in terms of contouring etc.
Old 29 March 2011, 05:35 PM

I don't know; I think it is nearly a transformation, mostly with regard to the eyes. I don't know what technique she used, but she looks more half-Japanese or something in the final picture - whatever she did, she definitely made her eyes appear wider and rounder. Maybe she's opening her eyes wider, but you can definitely see more of her iris and the white of her eyes at the end.
Old 29 March 2011, 05:50 PM

White liner on the waterline, shading with dark eyeshadow around the edges especially the outer corners, black liner on top, false lashes, and possibly circle lenses. I do something similar semi-regularly; I'm not Japanese, but can still get dramatically 'bigger' eyes.
Plus it's sort of a blurry picture.
Old 29 March 2011, 05:53 PM

What are circle lenses? I know it's just makeup tricks to make her eyes appear rounder/bigger, but I'm still pretty impressed

Also, I just noticed the difference in angle between the first and last pictures - in the first, she's facing the camera head-on, and in the last, she's positioned a little below it, also making the eyes appear larger and changing the appearance of her face.
Old 29 March 2011, 05:54 PM

I think the point is she is trying to look like an anime cartoon as opposed to a live human.

Japanese girls do a lot of interesting stuff with makeup. My daughter is a huge Japanophile and is always showing me all these things they do, like the gothic lolitas and this sort of thing and other stuff.
Old 29 March 2011, 06:00 PM

Yep, she's got the posing down right!
Circle lenses are coloured contacts which are slightly larger than normal, so they give you a bigger iris and larger pupils. They're only a couple of millimetres different, but quite dramatic.

Come to think of it: I'm cosplaying this weekend, which will involve some fairly detailed makeup, a bit like this- I might see if I can get some in-progress shots and come up with an effect like the OP. Challenge!
Although I'm not Japanese I have somewhat 'Asian' eyes (in as much as there's a definition for that), so when I was learning how to do make-up I found the instructions in Japanese fashion magazines to be much more useful, until I got used to my own face. More or less all the models in the magazines I read have this kind of look.

I think it's quite sweet how she didn't cover up her mole.
Old 29 March 2011, 06:00 PM

Hello Kitty

She's using eyelid tape. It's mostly marketed to Asian women who want to replicate a double eyelid fold.
Old 29 March 2011, 06:06 PM

Icon220

Quote:
Originally Posted by granola shoes View Post
Also, I just noticed the difference in angle between the first and last pictures - in the first, she's facing the camera head-on, and in the last, she's positioned a little below it, also making the eyes appear larger and changing the appearance of her face.
Yep, it's a subtle "myspace angle" effect that makes her chin and her nose both look smaller and pointier.
Old 29 March 2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
She's using eyelid tape. It's mostly marketed to Asian women who want to replicate a double eyelid fold.
A-HA! I wondered how she got that effect using just makeup! That makes sense there's more to it.
Old 29 March 2011, 09:02 PM

I think this series is enhanced. If you adjusted for size and overlaid the faces on top of each other, I think her nose is skinnier, her eyes bigger and her square jawline is rounded, slimmed. Yes, it is the same girl in makeup, but each of those 4 pictures is slightly adjusted (nose and jaw and eye) toward the final, too.
Old 29 March 2011, 09:50 PM

Those effects you talk about, kismet, can be achieved with makeup. It's just a matter of contouring with the right shades of makeup, lights and darks.

And she's defiantly going for the anime look. She did a nice job.
Old 29 March 2011, 10:37 PM

I prefer her first look. The childlike and demure pose in the last picture make her look a bit vapid. The heavy makeup also makes her face look flat and featureless.

I'm not saying it isn't talented, but I don't care for it. I prefer people not to look like plastic dolls. Sure, dolls are pretty but their not-quite-human perfection is also a touch creepy. I find beauty more beautiful when I can actually identify with it, and looking more 'flawed' helps with that.

Incidentally, I'm pretty certain they're all the same person. I have some not-very-strong doubts that the last picture (or last two) isn't also 'shopped a little bit, but even if that is so I think the transformation is mostly the effect of cosmetics.
Old 30 March 2011, 12:49 AM

"I prefer people not to look like plastic dolls"
That is actually the point of this look. To look like a china doll. That's exactly what they are going for.
Old 30 March 2011, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyBean View Post
Those effects you talk about, kismet, can be achieved with makeup. It's just a matter of contouring with the right shades of makeup, lights and darks.

And she's defiantly going for the anime look. She did a nice job.
Most of that can be done with makeup. Makeup can give the appearance of bigger eyes and more pronounced but slimmer nose. Sure. But makeup cannot make her actual eyes take up more of the space on her face or alter her actual jaw. That final picture is shopped to enhance the effect, I am pretty sure. But she still did an amazing job.
Old 30 March 2011, 02:40 AM

How do the "eyelid tapes" work? I am confused.
Old 30 March 2011, 02:41 AM

In the first photo, she's wearing glasses. The refractive properties of the glass makes her eyes look a different size than they'd appear without the glasses. You'll notice in photo 2 her eyes do look slightly bigger. If you save the photo and do some measurements, you'll see the eyes are exactly the same size in each photo. The eyelashes go a very long way to make the eyes appear bigger. The fold is pulled up with eyelid tape as Aimee pointed out, which changes the shape and opens the eye a bit.
As for the jaw, that effect is from the angle of the photo, illustrated here:

taken about a minute apart, no makeup. The first from a lower angle, the second from a higher angle. Note the change in the appearance of the jaw and nose. As for the narrowness of the nose in the last photo in the OP, that can be achieved with careful contouring makeup.
Old 30 March 2011, 03:06 AM

Tabloids are great at exploiting these photo angles in order to claim that a celebrity has had plastic surgery.
Old 30 March 2011, 05:29 AM

And she's defiantly going for the anime look.

And maybe even "DEFINITELY."