snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 31 August 2015, 07:40 PM

Default Moon Set

I thought about putting this in Fauxtography, but there really is no question on its authenticity and my interest is more on the Facebook comments it garnered.

A friend posted this to Facebook (it was shared from someone else) with the simple comment "Wow".
[IMG][/IMG]

I resposnded: "Wow is right. Clouds behind the moon? When did that happen?"

No big deal. Folks I know are used to a bit of snark.

What followed though were comments saying it might be "Photoshopped" and awesome, but is it real? Cool. Wish I had seen that.

Sometimes I really wonder about the ability of people to distinguish fantasy from reality.

Saddest of all is that this was probably a really cool picture without the moon pasted over the sun.
Old 31 August 2015, 07:59 PM

When I was travelling through Namibia last year, one of our guides claimed that on one particular night of our trip, the moon would experience a rare phenomenon and rise and set twice during the same night. I was never able to discern if he was joking or if he really thought that was possible. Worse, though, was the fact that I seemed to be the only tourist on the trip who knew that it was bunk. I gave up trying to explain it to my fellow travelers. A couple from Hawaii then said, in all seriousness, that the face of the moon was completely different when they viewed it every night from where they lived on the Big Island. I just gave up and walked away shaking my head.
Old 01 September 2015, 02:13 PM

Glasses

Poor Ferdinand has an ear infection (the vet said "there's a party going on in there"--two different bacteria and yeast), plus it seems he has allergies (his eyes get red and itchy), so now he has ear cream and eye drops in addition to his usual pill. He doesn't like the ear stuff, but isn't as expressive about it as that dog on YouTube.

His birthday party is this coming Sunday (with possible canine guests along with the humans), and it was supposed to be outside. However, it's beginning to look as if it will be an indoor party after all. I'll still need to mow the lawn, however. If it stops raining long enough. This is not a complaint about the rain, this is an acknowledgement of my procrastination. I could've mowed it on Friday but was too lazy.

Seaboe
Old 01 September 2015, 06:24 PM

The two children I care-give for have to be in daycare a couple days a week now because both of their parents are working weekdays at least temporarily. I've done all I can so that I can take care of them three days a week, but I can't cover all 5 days and keep my job. Today is their fist day of daycare and I know the 2 year old is having a terrible time. Its breaking my heart and I just want to quit my job to take care of them full time.
Old 03 September 2015, 09:41 PM

My boss has the weirdest sense of humor. Today I asked him if he minded if I watched him operate on a dog. He said "There's a 5 admittance fee."
I said, fine, just take it out of my wages. So he shouted at the receptionist to take five quid out of my wages.

So I stepped out of the OR for a second and came back in. I asked: Do I get a stamp so I don't have to pay again?
He said, "Yeah I'll give you a stamp, come here!"
So I did. Then he stamped on my foot.

I wanted to punch him but I was laughing to hard.
Of course I sent this story to notalwaysworking.com
Old 04 September 2015, 02:30 PM

Glasses

I've replaced the missing bolt in my wheel barrow, changed the broken tire on the hand truck and bought a new reel of line for the weed whacker. Now I just have to do something with all of them.

The newspaper had the monthly temperature and rain chart in the paper on Wednesday. Normally, we get .88" of rain during August. This year, we got more than 3". However, 2" of that fell on two days, one in the middle of the month, one at the end. If you subtract those two days and add up the rain from the other 4 (yes, it rained on only 6 days in August), it adds up to a whopping .9", right in line with normal.

The best news is that this rain has brought our water for the year to within an inch of normal. Oh, and it might snow in the mountains this weekend. Maybe. If the *ods smile.

Seaboe
Old 04 September 2015, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
A couple from Hawaii then said, in all seriousness, that the face of the moon was completely different when they viewed it every night from where they lived on the Big Island. I just gave up and walked away shaking my head.
To be fair, it would be almost the other way up, which can make it look quite different.
Old 04 September 2015, 09:23 PM

Baseball

I am working with quite a few people from the southern hemisphere. We had a full moon last week and had the huge binoculars out looking at it. One of my Aussie colleagues commented that Tycho is on the bottom of the moon, where it appears on the top of the moon at home.

He also got a kick out of the North Star. He had heard of it but never saw it before.
Old 05 September 2015, 01:52 AM

I saw the animals together, and realized that my cat is pretty much the same size as the neighbor's dog. Not an extremely small dog, either; it is a half grown Scottie. Of course they moved before I could get a picture of them.
Old 05 September 2015, 04:40 PM

No

I have to mow the lawn, but I have to wait until Ma comes home with the gas containers. I'm sure when she comes home that she'll yell at me for not mowing the lawn. Because, you know, common sense isn't with her recently.

Honest, I try to bear all her yellings and not take it personal. She's beyond stressed with how little money she gets from social security, wondering how she's going to pay bills. We've discussed having to try a food pantry to suppliment what little we got. Figures, now it's going to be to cold soon to plant veggies.

*Sigh* She left three and a half hours ago to pay bills, get gas and go to the grocery store for a few items we need. Where is she, man?

Trish "I can't take much more of her shouting sprees" DaDish
Old 05 September 2015, 09:28 PM

I took a week off of work last week to remove my front lawn and replace it with something more drought tolerant. Here are the before and after pictures:

Old 06 September 2015, 10:41 AM

Whalephant

My security guard at work and I were having a random conversation that started with Kim Davis in Kentucky and somehow ended up being about rich men and mistresses. He said he had no clue how rich men handled going out with more than one woman at a time; he had a hard enough time handling his relationship with his girlfriend (mainly he meant time and learning her likes and dislikes and the like).

I said "well, you could have an affair with a guy instead" and he stopped then nodded. "Yes! A man! That could work! I could have my mistress be a man instead!" I pointed out that when his girlfriend got suspicious and asked if there was another woman he could then truthfully say no. "Of course!"

I'm amazed they let me talk to employees sometimes.
Old 06 September 2015, 12:27 PM

The funniest thing to me about that, kitap, is that many strong same-sex friendships are essentially romances, but without the sex. Couple that observation with the fact that for most extramarital affairs (i.e. a lengthy relationship rather than one-night stand events), the sex is not nearly as important as the emotional connection, and you can see outside friendships as essentially affairs in that they provide a social and emotional outlet that is not being found within the marriage. That view has been played with many times in media; for instance in Mike & Molly, plenty of jokes were based on Mike and Carl's relationship being far more intimate, though not sexual, than a simple friendship.
Old 08 September 2015, 02:28 PM

Glasses

WildaBeast, I can hardly tell the difference between the two shots (mostly because of the light). Hope your new front lawn is rakeable. That's a beautiful tree.

Poor Ferdinand is not feeling well today, and he had a miserable night. He got into some brownies while I was out yesterday afternoon, so I had to make him throw up as soon as I got home. His tummy was clearly not happy all night (which meant neither of us slept well), although he ate some apple I'd left him about 3 hours after he'd tossed his cookies, and that stayed down (as did his medicine, which he got about 1/2 an hour after throwing up). He was happy to see breakfast this morning, and ate with almost his usual enthusiasm. Nonetheless, I left him barricaded in the kitchen, just in case he throws up again.

He had a fine time at his party, although I think he was pretty peopled out by the end. He sat on my lap and cried under his breath for a while during the evening.

Seaboe
Old 08 September 2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
WildaBeast, I can hardly tell the difference between the two shots (mostly because of the light). Hope your new front lawn is rakeable. That's a beautiful tree.
I was afraid of that (that the lighting would make it difficult to see, that is). There are plants there in the shadows, really. Although it's mostly wood chips now, but the plants will get bigger. The bad thing about the tree is that someone had it topped at some point before I bought the place, so instead of a few large branches it has a bunch of small, saggy branches that droop down in the spring under the weight of the leaves and I have to prune it every year so people can actually walk under it.
Old 09 September 2015, 08:17 AM

Baseball I'm chewing on dust

Day time photo from my balcony here in Israel. The Sea of Galilee (one of four names for the lake) is in the low ground. The Golan Heights are the hills on the other side of the water.

A night time view from the same balcony. You can get an appreciation for how big the heights are (1300 metres from lake to top)

Picture taken yesterday afternoon, but still looks the same today.

I think I have a kilo of Saharan dust in my lungs right now.
Old 11 September 2015, 03:13 AM

Icon24

Great pictures UEL, thank you for posting!

Whenever new emloyees start work in our fair company, they indtroduce them on the company intranet, and give a brief description of their duties, followed up with a short history of where they come from, where they studied, etc. Usually, at the end, they describe the person's likes and hobbies. Envariably, they write "In his spare time, Chucky enjoys running, hiking, camping, biking, fishing, etc." You know, nice well regarded healthy activities.

Meh.

I'd enjoy a little honesty. "In his spare time, Jim-Bob enjoys swilling beer and watching NASCAR."
Old 11 September 2015, 07:57 AM

Whalephant

I am apparently clinically dead.

My workplace offers "biometric wellness check-ups" once a year that if you participate rewards you by reducing your health insurance payment by about $25 a paycheck, so a healthy amount.

Basically some nurses come in and takes your height, weight, a non-fasting glucose reading and a few other things. Including taking your pulse. The RN (who already had a hard time getting my blood pressure reading) could not find my pulse. On either arm. She gave up.

The only logical conclusion is that I'm clinically dead.

Needless to say I was a bit alarmed when I got my mail later in the day after that and in it- and I absolutely swear I am not making this up- was something from a local funeral home.
Old 11 September 2015, 08:09 AM

Don't panic, kitap. Being undead is not such a bad thing, from what I can glean from looking up the problem online. But you really should try to check to be sure you are not a character in a teen romance novel.
Old 11 September 2015, 08:54 AM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
Don't panic, kitap. Being undead is not such a bad thing, from what I can glean from looking up the problem online. But you really should try to check to be sure you are not a character in a teen romance novel.
I am 51-surely too old to be in a teen romance novel?

I wonder if this changes my tax status...
Closed Thread