snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 29 May 2013, 10:13 PM

Hello Kitty Long-lost feline found

Quote:
When Jacki Sharp lost her beloved cat, Dallas, 13 years ago, she never stopped thinking about the feline friend that helped get her through some rough times.
http://www.petaluma360.com/article/2...ne-found&tc=ar
Old 29 May 2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
The veterinarian tracked Sharp down using a microchip that she had implanted in Dallas when he was a kitten. The devices, which are about the size of a grain of rice and are used on dogs, cats and other pets, carry a unique identity number, which is linked to the owner's contact information.
Is it possible to alter (deliberately or by mistake) the information on these chips? Is it possible that the cat isn't the same animal that vanished 13 years ago, and was misidentified?
Old 30 May 2013, 12:03 AM

Yes it is. A friend was just telling me how while in grad school she was contacted by animal control in her home town saying her cat was dead. Her cat was right there in front of her. The chip Id numbers were switched. (My lost cat story seems to bring other stories.)
Old 30 May 2013, 01:08 AM

It would, however, seem like a fairly long coincidence for the chip to be misidentified but to be found in a cat who looked enough like the missing one to be mistaken for it, and who was also found in the area in which that cat disappeared.
Old 30 May 2013, 02:02 AM

The owner is raising money to help with his vet bills.

I can't imagine losing a cat for so long
Old 30 May 2013, 05:53 AM

So that cat was feral for 13 years? That's pretty amazing in itself.
Old 30 May 2013, 06:35 AM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
So that cat was feral for 13 years? That's pretty amazing in itself.
I would suspect that the cat had a temporary home for a good chunk of those 13 years. In 1993, I was in Winnipeg and there was a similar story, same amount of time away, and a unique identifier. The woman who owned the cat thought that the cat had survived 13 years on its own before being found.

However, someone recognised the cat from the photos in the paper and came forward. Here, the cat had adopted a family and moved in. When he got lost years later, that was when he was reunited with his first owner.

I did not follow the story beyond that, I just hope the humans could allow the cat to live in peace and quiet rather than fight over who really owned that cat.
Old 30 May 2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aud 1 View Post
Yes it is. A friend was just telling me how while in grad school she was contacted by animal control in her home town saying her cat was dead. Her cat was right there in front of her. The chip Id numbers were switched. (My lost cat story seems to bring other stories.)
I'd imagine in that situation it was more likely that the chips got switched before they were implanted, and weren't verified. Or the number could be correct, but the information in the chip company's database was mis-entered.
Old 30 May 2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallah View Post
Is it possible to alter (deliberately or by mistake) the information on these chips? Is it possible that the cat isn't the same animal that vanished 13 years ago, and was misidentified?
Aside from Aud's story, animal microchips are basically RFID tags, and most of them adhere to international standards for RFID tags. With the right equipment and a bit of know-how (both of which could be easily acquired from the internet) someone could re-write a tag.