snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 16 September 2017, 05:10 PM

My new housemate moved in today. She messaged us when she was on her way so I opened up the front gates expecting a moving van but then she arrived in an Uber and she only had one bag. It was a very large bag on wheels that she could barely get up the front step but still, it was just one bag. I knew she'd been travelling overseas recently and she'd been living with her mother since she got back but I still expected her to have more belongings. She had a new bed delivered but that arrived after she'd already left to go back to her mother's for the night, I don't even know if she owns any linens or blankets or pillows.

I can't imagine having so few belongings, I like owning stuff.
Old 16 September 2017, 08:41 PM

That's kind of where I want to be, sooner rather than later: everything can fit in one big case. Not that I would want to do so. I mean, I'm not planning on going anywhere soon. I just want to let go of all the stuff. None of it means anything to me — Or at least I want to get to the point where I can say that honestly. (And not that I think anyone else should. Just something I want.)
Old 16 September 2017, 11:14 PM

I nurtured that fantasy for much of my twenties. I imagined backpacking through South America for months or years on end, owning only what I could carry. Then I had the notion of living out of a hollowed-out VW bus. I still love to look at tiny houses, and I find the idea of untethering myself from my mountain of stuff fascinating, but I've resigned myself to the fact that I actually on some level really like having a lot of stuff and probably always will.
Old 17 September 2017, 10:05 AM

When my dad's parents celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary, someone gave them 2 silver-ish glasses, designed expressly as a 25th anniversary gift. This was in 1960's. They passed them to my parents when my parents celebrated their 25th anniversary. One of the glasses leaks, so it can't even be used as a toast.

My parents wanted to bring them to us this year, as we celebrated our 25th anniversary. I told them no. They both inherited a lot of things from their parents and they want to give it to me, so it will stay in the family. I am trying to convince them this is not a good reason for me to have stuff. Fortunately sending anything here costs quite a bit.
Old 17 September 2017, 02:19 PM

I had some computer problems and couldn't get online; have got them straightened out for now at least, but I'm not sure that what's going on isn't that the old computer is developing strange glitches.

I don't expect to be able to afford to replace the computer for another couple of months. So if I disappear for a bit, that might be what's going on; if so, I'll be back eventually.
Old 17 September 2017, 05:55 PM

Jaded

Our, now over with, (knock wood) bed bug problem made me throw a lot of stuff away. I've also been letting go of some stuff lately. I'm tired of the clutter. However, DH loves to collect stuff. We now have a Coca Cola room. It's breakfast room with lots of pictures glasses and my sister is making curtains. This is OK with me because it's going to be cute and sort of retro dinerish. But, he also has a "music room" which has pictures of hundreds of performers mostly as colletors cards in special frames, pics of us performing back in the day, news paper clippings of when we played, pics of other bands we're friends with,and just generic music pics. and plaques he's bought here and there. Our stairway and landings have baseball, bowling, and sports pics, banners, news clippings. And our extra room has stuff the three kids were into when they were little, Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Mario, bowling. Eeek there's just so much.

I have a small Star Trek collection and I told him I'm over it and to sell it all, just to get rid of something. I have my dad's cracker jacks and some of my mom's jewelry, and a few special baby clothes (very few). I'm over the clutter.

I told him if the garage isn't cleared out of his never ending "Garage Sale" by the end of October I'm taking it all to GoodWill, so our car has someplace to live in the winter....It's a two stall garage and there's no room for the car.
Old 18 September 2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravo View Post
This one really got me for some reason.
You're close enough to Maple Country to get it...
Old 18 September 2017, 02:24 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Capacitrix View Post
They both inherited a lot of things from their parents and they want to give it to me, so it will stay in the family.
I'd rather have a few things that mean something (preferably to me, but also to family history) than a houseful of old stuff.

That said, most of my house is furnished with my grandparents's things. My linen closets are full of inherited linens. There are two reasons for this, neither of which are "to keep it in the family" a) when my grandparents's belongings were being distributed, I had basically no furniture, so it made economic sense for me to take it, and 2) my house was built in 1930, and the furniture suits it, and fits into the space available. As much as I love the idea of one of those plush sectional sofas, for example, if I had one there wouldn't be room for anything else in my living room.

ETA: On Saturday, my sister and I went to the Seattle Symphony Gala concert, opening the new season. Renee Fleming was singing. The concert itself was 56 minutes long (30 minutes, intermission, 26 minutes). She then came back and did three encores, one of which was a sing-along of I Could Have Danced All Night. She also announced she's going to be on Broadway next year, in Carousel (a musical almost depressing enough to be an Opera). I assume she'll play Laurey.

Seaboe

Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 18 September 2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 20 September 2017, 05:51 PM

Getting tired of the natural disaster stress. A good friend of mine on DeviantArt lives in Puebla, Mexico, and I'm going nuts waiting for her to check in that she's okay since that's epicenter of the earthquake yesterday. I know rationally even if she's fine she probably doesn't have power, and I only have her contact THROUGH that site, so I won't hear anything until she gets internet back but it's still scary.

Oh and for the Irma wrap up, family is all okay. Streets flooded in the immediate aftermath and it was about a week before they got power back, but my parent's little manufactured home survived with just a bit of bent siding.
Old 21 September 2017, 09:00 AM

Just heard from my friend, she and her family are safe but still really rattled from it all. That took a huge load off