snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 07 December 2013, 04:07 AM

Chef Baker discriminated by denying gay couple wedding cake

A Colorado bakery owner illegally discriminated against a gay couple when he refused to bake a wedding cake for the pair because of his Christian religious beliefs, a judge has ruled.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9B602S20131207
Old 07 December 2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
because of his Christian religious beliefs
You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means.
Old 07 December 2013, 06:07 AM

He's probably not really a Scotsman either.
Old 07 December 2013, 07:05 AM

Indeed. I for one refuse to use pCm ever again. Why must a Christian moron necessarily be a pseudo Christian? I daresay I have grown sick of the notion of tolerance as an essential component of Christianity when the history of organized religion, to include Christianity, is replete with examples of systemic intolerance.
Old 07 December 2013, 07:38 AM

Oh, I'm not denying that there are plenty of people like him out there.* That said, in no way do they speak for all Christians. He and I clearly have different ideas of what that means. Which of us are the "true" Christians? While I'm not about to hold myself up as a shining example, I really don't think this passes the "what would Jesus do?" test either.

* And yes, that includes a depressingly sizable number of Christian leaders.

Last edited by Meka; 07 December 2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09 December 2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meka View Post
While I'm not about to hold myself up as a shining example, I really don't think this passes the "what would Jesus do?" test either.
Jesus, who spent most of his ministry on the road with twelve guys, associated with prostitutes and *gasp* tax collectors, and gave impassioned speeches about the fact that people who make a show of their "devotion" would probably not earn his father's good will.

I think Meka and I are in agreement.

It's not about "Christians" it's about christians who are vocal about their faith, but apparently haven't been troubled to read the instruction manual.
Old 04 June 2018, 05:01 PM

The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday handed a victory on narrow grounds to a Colorado Christian baker who refused for religious reasons to make a wedding cake for a gay couple, stopping short of setting a major precedent allowing people to claim exemptions from anti-discrimination laws based on religious beliefs.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/su...ple/ar-AAydEGF
Old 04 June 2018, 05:09 PM

NPR's coverage this morning stated that the court ruled on very narrow grounds. They really didn't rule either way on whether or not it's legal for a business to refuse to provide services to gay people on religious grounds, but simply that this specific baker didn't get a fair hearing from the Colorado Civil Rights Commission.
Old 04 June 2018, 05:22 PM

So SCOTUS basically side-stepped the issue?
Old 04 June 2018, 05:26 PM

From the article:

Quote:
"The outcome of cases like this in other circumstances must await further elaboration in the courts, all in the context of recognizing that these disputes must be resolved with tolerance, without undue disrespect to sincere religious beliefs, and without subjecting gay persons to indignities when they seek goods and services in an open market," Kennedy said.
Good luck with that. The problem is exactly that some people's sincere religious beliefs require them to subject gay persons to indignities.

Also, is this bit

Quote:
former commissioner Diann Rice said that "freedom of religion, and religion, has been used to justify all kinds of discrimination throughout history, whether it be slavery, whether it be the Holocaust."
supposed to justify the claim that

Quote:
the Colorado Civil Rights Commission showed an impermissible hostility toward religion
?

Because that doesn't read to me as hostility toward religion. It reads to me like a plain statement of fact.

If Rice said that all or even most religion does so, that would be hostility. I don't know what else was in the commission's statements; maybe there was something that does back the claim.
Old 04 June 2018, 05:30 PM

One might say so. (ETA: in response to GenYus). One might say the same about their decision in Azar vs. Garza (the immigrant teen abortion case.) I’m wondering if the liberal justices are trying to split the baby to at least avoid creating bad precedent under the current circumstances.
Old 04 June 2018, 05:32 PM

ETA: (Regarding thorny locust's comment about the hostility of the commission.)

It was much more than that. From the decision (pdf):

Quote:
As the record shows, some of the commissioners at the Commission’s formal, public hearings endorsed the view that religious beliefs cannot legitimately be carried into the public sphere or commercial domain, disparaged Phillips’ faith as despicable and characterized it as merely rhetorical, and compared his invocation of his sincerely held religious beliefs to defenses of slavery and the Holocaust. No commissioners objected to the comments. Nor were they mentioned in the later state-court ruling or disavowed in the briefs filed here.
Old 04 June 2018, 05:34 PM

The hostility is addressed on pages 2-3 of the ruling. The bit you quoted is part of it.
Quote:
As the record shows, some of the commissioners
at the Commission’s formal, public hearings endorsed the view that
religious beliefs cannot legitimately be carried into the public sphere
or commercial domain, disparaged Phillips’ faith as despicable and
characterized it as merely rhetorical, and compared his invocation of
his sincerely held religious beliefs to defenses of slavery and the Holocaust.
No commissioners objected to the comments. Nor were they
mentioned in the later state-court ruling or disavowed in the briefs
filed here. The comments thus cast doubt on the fairness and impartiality
of the Commission’s adjudication of Phillips’ case.

Another indication of hostility is the different treatment of Phillips’
case and the cases of other bakers with objections to anti-gay messages
who prevailed before the Commission.
Old 04 June 2018, 07:17 PM

OK; they had additional context to go by.

Though I'm still not sure whether

Quote:
compared his invocation of his sincerely held religious beliefs to defenses of slavery and the Holocaust
refers to some additional language by that commissioner, or whether they're saying that they think it's automatically hostility to religion in general to point out that people did indeed invoke sincerely held religious beliefs to attempt to defend slavery.
Old 15 August 2018, 11:06 PM

Default Colorado baker who refused to make cake for gays sues again

A Colorado baker who refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple on religious grounds — a stance partially upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court — has sued the state over its opposition to his refusal to bake a cake celebrating a gender transition, his attorneys said Wednesday.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...-case-57196056
Old 15 August 2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
he status of being male or female ... is given by God, is biologically determined
I guess that means that God is definitely not omnipotent and/or omniscient as there are a number of people whose genes do not fit into the binary choices male or female.

PS. I'm going to be in Colorado soon, I wonder if I should go order an abortion cake so this guy can have the whole set.
Old 16 August 2018, 12:25 AM

For that matter, there are people who are born with visible characteristics that aren't neatly either male or female.

Not to mention lots of other species, which he presumably thinks were also created by God, in which it's entirely standard to be both male and female at once, or to switch genders during one organism's lifetime.

-- and I think he'd also need a divorce cake; though it's possible that he doesn't object to that, which is actually mentioned in the Bible.
Old 16 August 2018, 12:37 AM

If it weren't for the fact that it would require forking money over to this guy, I'd love to see some experimentation to see where he actually draws the line. I.e., have someone go in and order some innocuous but specific cake (like the pink with blue icing design described) and only tell him after the cake is complete that it's to celebrate a [same-sex wedding/gender transition/etc.] and point out the significance of the design elements to that event. Or better yet, if someone could pull it off, get him to design the cake without revealing the details he'd object to, like getting him to design a wedding cake without revealing the fact that it's for a same-sex couple. Just because I'm curious to know what the reaction would be.

Would he throw a hissy fit, refuse to sell them the cake, and trash it? If so, he would be clearly discriminating against the customer based on their identity rather than declining to make a cake design he found offensive, since he was willing to make the cake when he didn't know the event. Would he grit his teeth and complete the transaction? (Unfortunately, since he's already been in legal fights over it, it would now be ambiguous whether he was willing to sell a cake that didn't overtly reference what he had religious objections to or if he simply recognized a set-up that could be used against him in court.) Could he manage it without slipping in some kind of offensive commentary?
Old 16 August 2018, 01:41 AM

I wonder what would happen if a Jewish or Muslim person tried to buy a religious-themed cake from him?
Old 16 August 2018, 06:40 PM

Maybe we could come up with some Humanist or Atheist equivalent of a Bar Mitzvah or Confirmation ceremony (at which a young person accepts responsibility for his own actions and affirms that any consequences arising therefrom are not supernaturally influenced, or something) and see how merchants are with ordering cakes or whatever to celebrate it.