snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > History

Old 25 April 2007, 01:27 PM

If we got rid of "X" the biggest victim would be TAX...

But, i suppose it would just be TA ... which is technically the same thing, at least in North america where big people get small people to give them things by holding their hand out and saying "TA"
Old 27 May 2007, 02:42 AM
Zakor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malalaise View Post
Although the people who made this prediction were most likely imagining something else,this prediction eerily fits with today's text messaging.
Yeah, text messaging sux.
Old 27 May 2007, 11:44 AM
bugeye

There was an orthographical reform movement going on at the time that was commented on by Mark Twain in 1899.

Quote:
I have had a kindly feeling, a friendly feeling, a cousinly feeling toward Simplified Spelling, from the beginning of the movement three years ago, but nothing more inflamed than that. It seemed to me to merely propose to substitute one inadequacy for another; a sort of patching and plugging poor old dental relics with cement and gold and porcelain paste; what was really needed was a new set of teeth. That is to say, a new ALPHABET.
It had apparently been going on seriously for a few years. He commented on and wrote about simplifying both the language and alphabet quite a few times before and after 1900.
Old 29 May 2007, 04:12 PM
nevermore.1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Illusion View Post
So was I actually. ICQ is really shorthand for "I Seek You," and it is what really started the whole chat phenomena, arconym shorthand and all. I probably could have found a better one for X, though.

Actually, you did pretty well with it. The X is used in place of 10, as Apple thought OS X sounded better than OS 10.
Old 30 May 2007, 06:04 AM
Rehcsif

Prediction #11: No Mosquitoes nor Flies. Insect screens will be unnecessary. Mosquitoes, house-flies and roaches will have been practically exterminated

I'd trade text messaging anyday for that one.

-Tim
Old 13 March 2008, 06:01 AM

Actually, I think the fact, that some of the predictions haven't come true, is a proof of this article really being that old. If someone would make up an article like this today, why would they add predictions, which haven't come true?