snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 05 June 2018, 02:16 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
6. On an season finale in April, TV attorney Rachel Zane married her longtime boyfriend Mike and left to form a new class action law firm in Seattle, a device used to bid farewell to what actress?
What, no answer?
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these movies? Beauty and the Beast, Being John Malkovich, Chocolat, Desperado, The Great Wall, Interview with the Vampire, Master and Commander, Out for Justice, Pulp Fiction, Thor: Ragnarok, The Witches of Eastwick, Yojimbo.
Each has a male lead who enjoys the styling choice that never goes out of style: a ponytail.
Okay, where's Zardoz on that list? Not that he claimed it was an exclusive list, but how can you have ponytails without Zardoz?--I'm sorry, I just checked, and it was a braid. Oops.
Quote:

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. In what world capital's La Boca neighborhood did the tango originate in the 1890s?
Well, the obvious answer is Madrid, but just to be different, I'm going to say Lisbon.
Quote:

2. What famous threesome is sometimes paraphrased by scientists with the maxims "You can't win," "You can't break even," and "You can't even quit the game"?
I thought this was all one law, the conservation of energy, but I'll go with Newton's laws.
Quote:

3. In 2017, Sally Hawkins starred in two movies opposite a humanoid animal character who gets pulled out of a South American river. Name both movies.
Sorry, can't.
Quote:

4. In most versions of the Greek myth, what woman is not born to her mother in normal human fashion, but hatches from a swan's egg?
Is this Helen?
Quote:

5. The U.S. would have had its second bachelor president ever if what divorcee had won either of the 20th-century elections in which he was a major-party candidate?
Adlai Stevenson? I'm not very up on presidential candidates.
Quote:

6. What does The Village Voice call its annual music critics' poll, a spoonerism for two venerable genres of American music?
Jock & Razz? I'm doing very poorly this week.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these literary works? Darkness at Noon, Delta of Venus, The Festival of Insignificance, Life of Pi, Lolita, Lord Jim, On the Road, Out of Africa, The Remains of the Day, Things Fall Apart, Waiting, Waiting for Godot.
I'm going to guess that it's something to do with the titles. What, I don't know.

Seaboe
Old 05 June 2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
(eta) Steve's answer also definitely applies to one or more of them, but all? On The Road?
Kerouac's parents were from Quebec so he grew up speaking French. I think Ishiguro was born in Japan, and wasn't Martell born in France? or Spain?
Old 05 June 2018, 02:33 PM

Thanks to Seaboe Muffinchucker I see that I left off the answer to question 6 while I was diligently not including the answer to our question 7 for this week.

6. On an season finale in April, TV attorney Rachel Zane married her longtime boyfriend Mike and left to form a new class action law firm in Seattle, a device used to bid farewell to what actress?
That's how Suits got rid of Meghan Markle. Oh, I get it, just because you're the Duchess of Sussex now, you're too busy to star in a not-very-good legal drama on USA?

Sorry about that!
Old 05 June 2018, 02:41 PM

4. I think Leda's daughter is Helen
Old 05 June 2018, 03:12 PM

Baseball

1. I believe that is Buenos Aires. At least my Argentinian buddy tells me Tango started there.

2. The Three Stooges?

3. I have no clue.

4. I'm guessing Artemis or Aphrodite

5. Not a Scooby.

6. I'm guessing what a spoonerism from context: Banjo Trumpets (eta, I see by reading the others that I have no clue what a spoonerism is and I don't know what the Village Voice is either)

7. All were originally written as a contribution to a writing contest.
Old 05 June 2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Kerouac's parents were from Quebec so he grew up speaking French. I think Ishiguro was born in Japan, and wasn't Martell born in France? or Spain?
I can't remember our rules for looking things up if we're using actual books rather than Google, but according to the author's biographical summary in the front of my copy of Life of Pi, you're right - Yann Martell "was born in Spain and currently lives in Montreal". I don't know why I thought he was Anglo-Indian. Perhaps I was confusing him with his character...
Old 05 June 2018, 05:39 PM

Canada

For Question #7, Lord Jim was written by Joseph Conrad, whose first language was Polish, and his second language was French, so that matches with other novels like "The Remains of the Day" or "Life of Pi" which were written in English, but not written by native-english speakers.

However, "Life of Pi" and "Lord Jim" have being lost at sea a prominent part of the novel, but that is not at all a part of "The Remains of the Day", so I concur with the notion that these are all English novels written by a non-native speaker of English.
Old 05 June 2018, 06:47 PM

Glasses

UEL, some famous spoonerisms are:

All the pies are occupewed, may I sew you to a sheet? (All the pews are occupied, may I show you to a seat?)

You have hissed all my mystery lectures, I saw you fight a liar in the quad; in a word, you have tasted the whole worm! (You have missed all my history lectures, I saw you light a fire in the quad; in a word, you have wasted the whole term).

Neither of the above were probably said by the Rev. Spooner, but AFAIK, he did call Queen Victoria the Queer Old Dean.

Seaboe
Old 05 June 2018, 10:11 PM

1. In what world capital's La Boca neighborhood did the tango originate in the 1890s? Havana, Cuba?
Old 06 June 2018, 02:43 AM

1. In what world capital's La Boca neighborhood did the tango originate in the 1890s? Madrid?

2. What famous threesome is sometimes paraphrased by scientists with the maxims "You can't win," "You can't break even," and "You can't even quit the game"? Laws of thermodynamics

3. In 2017, Sally Hawkins starred in two movies opposite a humanoid animal character who gets pulled out of a South American river. Name both movies. Shape of Water and Paddington 2?

4. In most versions of the Greek myth, what woman is not born to her mother in normal human fashion, but hatches from a swan's egg? Leda was the one seduced by the swan; can't recall who her kid is.

5. The U.S. would have had its second bachelor president ever if what divorcee had won either of the 20th-century elections in which he was a major-party candidate? Was Dewey divorced? I think he was a 2-time candidate.

6. What does The Village Voice call its annual music critics' poll, a spoonerism for two venerable genres of American music? Rats - I should really know this one. WAG - Razz & Jock?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these literary works? Darkness at Noon, Delta of Venus, The Festival of Insignificance, Life of Pi, Lolita, Lord Jim, On the Road, Out of Africa, The Remains of the Day, Things Fall Apart, Waiting, Waiting for Godot. Another WAG - A character is referred to by a different/incorrect name due to a misunderstanding?
Old 12 June 2018, 04:19 PM

Teacher

Tuesday Trivia comes to you today from San Francisco (or "Frisco," as locals call it), where I'm on tour for my new book. If you're in the Bay Area, come see me tonight in Menlo Park or tomorrow in Sausalito. (I'm also doing a thing in the Misson Thursday night if you're a member of the social network IVY.) Locations and times at https://ken-jennings.us3.list-manage...5&e=ae80d09393.

LAST WEEK'S ANSWERS

1. In what world capital's La Boca neighborhood did the tango originate in the 1890s?
The tango is Argentine, and was born in Buenos Aires. Well, also across the river in Montevideo, as Uruguayans will remind you. But mostly Buenos Aires.

2. What famous threesome is sometimes paraphrased by scientists with the maxims "You can't win," "You can't break even," and "You can't even quit the game"?
This parody of the laws of thermodynamics is sometimes attributed to beat poet Allen Ginsberg, of all people.

3. In 2017, Sally Hawkins starred in two movies opposite a humanoid animal character who gets pulled out of a South American river. Name both movies.
The Shape of Water was the Oscar-winning one, but the other Hawkins-loves-South-American-animals entry, Paddington 2, might just be a better movie.

4. In most versions of the Greek myth, what woman is not born to her mother in normal human fashion, but hatches from a swan's egg?
Helen of Troy was no ugly duckling. She was conceived, according to Euripides and Homer, when her mother Leda was visited by Zeus in the form of a great swan.

5. The U.S. would have had its second bachelor president ever if what divorcee had won either of the 20th-century elections in which he was a major-party candidate?
Adlai Stevenson divorced his wife Ellen in 1949. Little was made of it politically, but he was a bachelor at the time of his two 1950s presidential campaigns, and wound up never remarrying.

6. What does The Village Voice call its annual music critics' poll, a spoonerism for two venerable genres of American music?
The Pazz & Jop poll, compiled every year since 1971, usually contains almost no jazz but quite a bit of pop.

7. What unusual distinction is shared by these literary works? Darkness at Noon, Delta of Venus, The Festival of Insignificance, Life of Pi, Lolita, Lord Jim, On the Road, Out of Africa, The Remains of the Day, Things Fall Apart, Waiting, Waiting for Godot.
Each of these works--stylish, fluid prose in every case--was written in a language that was not the writer's native tongue. I wanted to include an Isaac Asimov book as well, but his memoir implies that he learned English at the same time as he learned Yiddish--not afterward, as many sources state. (I also wanted to include a Jhumpa Lahiri work, but she hasn't produced a new novel since her buzzed-about switch to Italian.)

THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS (as always, Question 7 is delayed by a week)

1. What complicated molecule comes in varieties including messenger, transfer, and ribosomal?

2. McCormick & Company, which owns brands like Old Bay and Zatarain's, is the world's largest manufacturer of what?

3. Liberia is the only foreign country with a capital named for a U.S. president. What's the only foreign country with a capital named for a British prime minister?

4. What Chinese word fills both blanks in this famous quote? "The ______ that can be expressed is not the eternal _____."

5. The original "Frick and Frack," whose name caught on in American slang, were famous for what sport?

6. The first seven Americans to win the Nobel Peace Prize were all statesman-diplomats, with the exception of what woman?

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these companies? American Greetings, Burger King, Conair, Dell, Dole, Heinz, Hilton, Jo-Ann, Levi's, Panera, Walgreens, Yahoo.
Old 12 June 2018, 04:27 PM

1. What complicated molecule comes in varieties including messenger, transfer, and ribosomal? RNA

2. McCormick & Company, which owns brands like Old Bay and Zatarain's, is the world's largest manufacturer of what?Spices

3. Liberia is the only foreign country with a capital named for a U.S. president. What's the only foreign country with a capital named for a British prime minister? WAG - Marshall Islands?

4. What Chinese word fills both blanks in this famous quote? "The ______ that can be expressed is not the eternal _____." WAG - "Zen?" (Which I don't believe is actually Chinese, but a transliteration or something, so I may be totally off-base here.)

5. The original "Frick and Frack," whose name caught on in American slang, were famous for what sport? WAG - tennis?

6. The first seven Americans to win the Nobel Peace Prize were all statesman-diplomats, with the exception of what woman? Another WAG, and the timing seems wrong, but I'll go with Clara Barton

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these companies? American Greetings, Burger King, Conair, Dell, Dole, Heinz, Hilton, Jo-Ann, Levi's, Panera, Walgreens, Yahoo. - Managed not to peek at the answer when posting, but I haven't a clue.
Old 12 June 2018, 04:27 PM

1. What complicated molecule comes in varieties including messenger, transfer, and ribosomal? RNA

2. McCormick & Company, which owns brands like Old Bay and Zatarain's, is the world's largest manufacturer of what? Spices. Does one manufacture spices? I thought they were grown. McCormick processes them, though.

4. What Chinese word fills both blanks in this famous quote? "The ______ that can be expressed is not the eternal _____." Tao?
Old 12 June 2018, 04:36 PM

3. Liberia is the only foreign country with a capital named for a U.S. president. What's the only foreign country with a capital named for a British prime minister? Pittsburgh?

5. The original "Frick and Frack," whose name caught on in American slang, were famous for what sport? Automobile repair advice?
Old 12 June 2018, 04:46 PM

6) I'll guess Pearl Buck
Old 12 June 2018, 05:08 PM

I'm not sure I know enough to be worth replying this week!

1. DNA - at least that one's obvious. (And I still managed to get it wrong).
2. Sounds like it must be a type of alcoholic drink but those aren't brands I know - rum maybe?
3. New Zealand (Wellington)? I think he was Prime Minister later in life.
4. If it wasn't a Chinese word I'd say "truth". Tao? (Interesting that this and the other word I could guess are both also Greek letters).
5. I don't know.
6. I don't know but I'll take a wild guess at Marie Stopes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these companies? American Greetings, Burger King, Conair, Dell, Dole, Heinz, Hilton, Jo-Ann, Levi's, Panera, Walgreens, Yahoo.
All of them are family-owned businesses with a son or daughter named after one of their locations, such as Paris Hilton, Kitt Green Heinz, Brooklyn Panera, Slough Burger King and so on...
Old 12 June 2018, 06:39 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS (as always, Question 7 is delayed by a week)

1. What complicated molecule comes in varieties including messenger, transfer, and ribosomal?
RNA, IIRC.
Quote:

2. McCormick & Company, which owns brands like Old Bay and Zatarain's, is the world's largest manufacturer of what?
herbs and spices. Probably flavoring extracts, as well.
Quote:

3. Liberia is the only foreign country with a capital named for a U.S. president. What's the only foreign country with a capital named for a British prime minister?
The country that popped into my head was Jamaica. I have no idea if it's the correct answer, but when has that ever stopped me? ETA: I suspect Richard W. has it right.
Quote:

4. What Chinese word fills both blanks in this famous quote? "The ______ that can be expressed is not the eternal _____."
Well, I'm going to say question (although answer would work, too, IMO).
Quote:

5. The original "Frick and Frack," whose name caught on in American slang, were famous for what sport?
Hmmm. I'm going to say baseball, just because.
Quote:

6. The first seven Americans to win the Nobel Peace Prize were all statesman-diplomats, with the exception of what woman?
Helen Keller.
Quote:

It's probably something about their logos, although I can't think of anything all the logos have in common.

Seaboe
Old 12 June 2018, 07:40 PM

Thanks, musicgeek, for posting this today. Sorry I neglected to do so this morning. I read the email and thought I'd posted it. I only realized I hadn't a few minutes ago.
Old 12 June 2018, 10:03 PM

Baseball 1 for 7 this week

1. Right off the bat, I'm doing good.

2. And I swing and miss. Toffee?

3. I'm drawing a blank. I'm stuck on Churchill, but I know that it's not a capital.

4. Yang?

5. Baseball?

6. Something tells me that I know this one. But....

7. All shifted their head of operations out of the US to take advantage of better financial situations in other countries.

And I swung and missed on most.
Old 13 June 2018, 09:47 AM

1. What complicated molecule comes in varieties including messenger, transfer, and ribosomal? DNA

2. McCormick & Company, which owns brands like Old Bay and Zatarain's, is the world's largest manufacturer of what? Spices

3. Liberia is the only foreign country with a capital named for a U.S. president. What's the only foreign country with a capital named for a British prime minister? New Zealand?