snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 30 April 2018, 03:42 PM

Glasses

With all the talk about loans...

There's been a change in the 401(k) laws concerning hardship loans that makes them more attractive (it actually concerns when you can restart contributions).

I hate 401(k) loans. They are, IMO, a major reason why 401(k)s don't work as well as they should. It's like saying "hey, boss, can I have some of my pension now?"

Seaboe
Old 30 April 2018, 05:22 PM

401K loans make people think they are making a smart financial decision by 'borrowing from themselves', but they can have ugly long term repercussions.

Speaking of hardship, IIRC, most 401K loans are due immediately if one changes employers.
Old 04 May 2018, 02:28 PM

Default May the 4th be with you!

Happy Star Wars Day!!
Old 05 May 2018, 05:02 PM

Canada

This was the Canadian Army's poster for yesterday.

I think it was very well played. I had nothing to do with it, although I wish I had.
Old 07 May 2018, 03:41 PM

A good friend of mine was telling me that she is going back to university in the fall. I am impressed and happy for her but it got me thinking and I realized the very last thing in this world I want to do is go back to school! I can't decide it that's because I have spent more than enough of my life in a classroom (I went up to master's degree level) or if I have no intellectual curiosity left or if I just can't face the idea of studying and tests and deadlines.
Old 07 May 2018, 07:43 PM

Glasses

It's the last for me. I went to college for 8 years straight (4 years undergrad, 4 years graduate schools). That was enough. Anything that intrigues me I can learn on my own, studying at my own pace, without the tests and deadlines.

ETA: I could have sworn I put a post in here (Unhijackable) about yesterday's visit to my sister's, which included her nephew tripping and breaking his arm just before Sunday dinner (he ate before heading off with his partner to urgent care), and my beloved Ferdinand preferring my sister's lap to mine while we were watching TV. It's the first time he's ever chosen another lap when mine was available.

Seaboe

Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 07 May 2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08 May 2018, 05:44 AM

I posted here a month ago about the person I was training not being up to snuff. I did speak to her about the expectations for the job, and she didn't improve; she didn't even start putting in the hours I told her were necessary. I shared my concerns with my boss, who was initially not too worried and decided to spend some more time training her herself in the office (instead of relying only on me to show her the ropes in court.) But even after that, this person still wasn't getting it, and still wasn't putting in the hours. My boss had a more serious sit-down with her again last week and was shocked and disappointed by her lack of preparation on cases. I, meanwhile, have been growing more and more concerned now that she's finally doing what I asked her to do weeks ago and writing out the arguments--after months of working here as a paralegal (awaiting bar results for the second time) she's still making rookie mistakes, and can't put together a coherent argument. My boss and I compared notes today and realized we had each gone over at least one case with her step by step before she went over it with the other, and she still didn't get it after having it spelled out on that particular case. I came home today and vented to my husband, who doesn't even practice in this area of the law but has heard me talk about cases, and even he could see what was wrong with her analysis.

My boss and I both tried really hard to make things work with this girl, but it looks like itís just not working out. I'm saddened but also relieved. I love training, but this has been exhausting. I start training someone new on Thursday.
Old 08 May 2018, 06:22 AM

Good luck with the new trainee! And don't fret about the old one - some people realise to late that they picked the wrong career.

Out of curiosity: What is your area of the law? I'm a lawyer myself, but don't work as an advocate, but in the Hamburg state gouvernment.
Old 08 May 2018, 06:42 AM

I work in juvenile dependency, representing parents when the government tries to take their kids away. It's a very specialized area of the law--different evidentiary rules and procedures--and we labor under intense caseloads with high stakes. Itís not the most difficult job in the world, but you sure can't half-ass it.
Old 08 May 2018, 03:37 PM

Esprise Me, yours is a very difficult area of law. I hope you are not judged by the cases you "win" but rather by the success of the children involved.
Old 08 May 2018, 03:48 PM

I've never half-assed a job but I know there's been plenty of times when I didn't give the entire ass. Maybe 95% of a complete ass, sometimes as low as 75% (which is definitely not a sufficient amount of ass).
Old 08 May 2018, 04:10 PM

I'm going to Seattle for a few days next week. Since I hate heights I'll be avoiding the Space Needle, but if anyone has any other recommendations of fun things to do, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 08 May 2018, 04:27 PM

If you have time, there's a great wildlife cruise in the San Juans that I went on last year. I don't remember the company name, but I could get it from my daughter if you're interested. Between the trip from Seattle to the islands, and the cruise, it's more or less an all-day thing.

If you don't have that much time, I recommend taking the ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge Island. You'll have to get off at the island, but you can get right back on again. There's not really much for a tourist in Bainbridge Island, but you get a nice boat ride and see beautiful scenery.

I also liked the ferris wheel, but I'm guessing you wouldn't like that.
Old 08 May 2018, 05:12 PM

Steve, the Pike Place fish market is a very touristy thing to go to, but still fun. Experience Music Project (now called Museum of Pop Culture) was also fun.

Esprise Me, it sounds like you really did a lot to help someone who doesn't want or appreciate the help. Good luck with the new trainee.
Old 08 May 2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutter Monkey View Post
I've never half-assed a job but I know there's been plenty of times when I didn't give the entire ass. Maybe 95% of a complete ass, sometimes as low as 75% (which is definitely not a sufficient amount of ass).
GM, if you've never found a job that you've half assed it's because you didn't try hard enough...
Old 08 May 2018, 07:29 PM

But if he didn't try hard enough, then he must have half-assed it.

Which means he did half-ass it, so he must have been trying hard enough.

Which means he wasn't able to find a job to half-ass, so he wasn't trying har... gg023fn=q-0cfmf0vnm0jv;svqvjghhqe9
Old 08 May 2018, 07:38 PM

Glasses

Steve, if you have a car, visit the Fremont Troll. Also in Fremont (although not very close to the troll) is a statue of Lenin.

If you're into plants and can get there, the rhodies in the Washington Park Arboretum are blooming, and it's lovely. They've recently redone a number of the trails.

If you're stuck downtown, there's always Underground Seattle.

GM, was the ass involved a rat's ass?

Seaboe
Old 08 May 2018, 08:09 PM

I've done the Underground Seattle tour twice, and IME, it's more entertaining when there aren't kids on the tour (some of the juicier tales of pioneer days aren't exactly family-friendly). IDK how you'd go about deliberately finding a tour with no kids, though.
Old 08 May 2018, 08:40 PM

Thanks, all. We're staying near the Pike Place fish market so I'm sure we'll check that out. And it looks like the Bainbridge ferry leaves from near that there. The Underground tour sounds fun too. We won't have a car so we probably won't get out to Fremont. But we don't have too much time in the city, so it sounds like that's enough to do.
Old 08 May 2018, 09:01 PM

Is that what a gutter monkey is--a monkey with the ass of a rat? I've always wondered.

I've enjoyed this tangent. Thanks everyone who weighed in; I feel a little better about the whole mess.