snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Closed Thread

Old 29 July 2012, 06:30 PM

Icon18 Letters you wish you could send

Dear President Obama:

Do you realize that your SSN is registered to a dead man? That paper of record, The Globe says so. You may want to consider subscribing to this rag--I'm sure you can use a laugh or two. Not as good as the late Weekly World News, but not too shabby either.

Someone who has been to the grocery store within the past few days.
Old 29 July 2012, 06:43 PM

The numbers do get re-used. There aren't enough numbers to give everyone a new one indefinitely, so you get the old one from a person who has been dead a while sometimes.

I know that isn't your point. Just a thought, though.
Old 29 July 2012, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avril View Post
The numbers do get re-used. There aren't enough numbers to give everyone a new one indefinitely, so you get the old one from a person who has been dead a while sometimes.

I know that isn't your point. Just a thought, though.
Actually they don't. Reused numbers are fraud. The Social Security Administration has plenty of numbers:

From the SSA FAQ

Quote:
Q20: Are Social Security numbers reused after a person dies?

A: No. We do not reassign a Social Security number (SSN) after the number holder's death. Even though we have issued over 453 million SSNs so far, and we assign about 5 and one-half million new numbers a year, the current numbering system will provide us with enough new numbers for several generations into the future with no changes in the numbering system.
Old 29 July 2012, 07:30 PM

99,999,999 social security numbers are available. If they've issued 453,000,000 so far, there's obviously some reused numbers out there.

ETA: NM. Nine digits, not eight. Half the numbers are still available.

Last edited by Auntie Witch; 29 July 2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 29 July 2012, 07:36 PM

So they're lying?

ETA: How Stuff Works
Quote:
What happens to my social security number after my death?
According to the SSA, SSNs are not recycled. Upon an individual's death, the number is removed from the active files and is not reused. Recycling numbers might become an issue someday, but not any time soon -- statisticians say that the nine-digit SSN allows for approximately one billion possible combinations.
ETAA: We simluedited.

Last edited by Gibbie; 29 July 2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 30 July 2012, 01:14 AM

Icon18

You know who you are:

No, $250 for a one-time investment that will actually save me money in the long run is not "a lot to spend on a hobby," especially when I know you drop at least half that on your Halloween costume virtually every year. The only difference is that my hobby is one that you do not personally participate in, and therefore you have decided that it does not and should not matter to anyone, ever. Grow up, recognize that other people are allowed to have opinions, and take your condescension elsewhere.

-Tabby
the princess with claws
Old 30 July 2012, 05:05 AM

Icon09

Dear Ms Kimberly Sanchez:
So you want to share your MySpace photo, and you chose to send it to the Friends of the Wheaton Dog Park group on Yahoo?! Oooookaaaay. MySpace?! Seriously? Rest assured that my dog park friends and I got a big kick out of your photo, especially the two pups under your low cut dress.

Amused member of the above group.
Old 30 July 2012, 08:38 AM

Mom,

If you ask our friend M to take home some stuff we borrowed from her, and she asks if she really needs to take it back today, the answer is "I would really prefer it if you did."
If the answer is a passive agressive "Well, you don't have to.", you lose the right to bitch and moan about it to Dad and me after M leaves.
This goes for any situation where you fail to stand up for yourself and feel the need to bother us with it later.
Your excuse is that you are not as assertive/brave as Dad and me. Well, boohoo, I wasn't as assertive/brave as I was a few years ago, and it bothered me, so I worked (and still am working, I am still shy) on it.
That is juat the point, isn't it? If something bothers you, you don't often deal with it, you just bitch about it to innocent bystanders.

And while I'm writing this, two more things.
1. Brother is 28. He is supposed to be an adult. Butt out. If he f*cks up, it's hi responsibility. Stop telling him what to do. You don't know if he's going to screw up without you instructing him on every little thing, because you never stop doing it.

2. Knock before you go into my bedroom. Father knows it, brother knows it, hell, even 8 year old cousin just showed me he knows it!

Love,
Your daughter, who has actually tried to tell you this in person multiple times. But you are not listening, are you?
Old 30 July 2012, 12:05 PM

Dear everyone that ever used the phrase "I'm too smart for me own good."

No you aren't. Just... no.
Old 31 July 2012, 01:16 PM

Former Co-Worker,

I get that you're eligible to come back, and that you want to.

However, your emails to me where you say, and I quote, "I just want to know what sort of situation I'll be walking into when I come back".....hold off a minute here.

*You* might want to come back. That does not mean you *are* coming back, no matter how convinced you are this will happen. When I handed in my notice, your name came up, and the boss said outright that she has no confidence that you could do my job--that in fact, she's finding evidence to suggest that you couldn't do *yours*. In addition, nobody else in our department thinks your could do my job. Overall consensus seems to be, "She could only do hers if you held her hand the entire time and told her step by step what to do." Nobody will be able to do that with mine for you.

I am not leaving because I have an issue with the boss. I, like you, am a contractor here. I was offered a permanent position with another company. Had the company I'm contracting with offered one, I would have stayed. Do not assume I am leaving because I am unhappy.

If you're already so convinced you won't be happy working for the boss, then why try to come back at all?

Regards,
Magdalene
Old 02 August 2012, 05:53 AM

Dea person (people) that keeps flooding the toilet in the second stall in the ladies room:
How big and or/clip arty do the signs saying do not flush your girlie items down the loo have to be before it sinks in?
People are tired of not beiong able to use it, and having to roll their pants up and sanitize the bottoms of their shoes because of all the fouled water that spill over into the other stall and the bathroom itself.

Dear people that kept taking down my "stall is broken" notes on the second stall's door, peeing, andn then flushing, thereby inusring more pee water goes every where and makes the bathroom smell bad,
Do you also go around sitting on freshly painted park benches and touch stove burners too?
Old 06 August 2012, 03:03 PM

A couple from this morning:

To the two state employees complaining about the size of your pay increases this year:

At least you get automatic "cost of living increases." I've never gotten one, and I've never heard of anyone in the private sector getting one either. We discussed this a while ago on another thread.

To the person whose wife came in late the first day on the job and was terminated for it:

Look, I understand, it was an unexpected traffic jam and it wasn't your wife's fault. But her employer didn't know that. This isn't a known employee with a perfect attendance record. They were afraid that calling in saying you're going to be late and then coming late was going to be a typical occurrence. It's not the impression you want to make on the first day.

Thanks.

Bill
Old 06 August 2012, 03:32 PM

Dear manager,

Please deal with the co-worker who calls in with BS excuses and isn't actually a fit for the group. You've already stated that you feel she's a good processor but not a trouble shooter. You've also said that you don't know how much longer she's going to last.

Also, please don't ask the rest of us if we want to include her in the training we're about to get. It's not our responsibility to make that decision - it's yours. That being said, why would we say that she should be included when you've indicated that she won't be with the group long term? It's a waste of everyone's time to provide her with additional training.

I know you don't want to be a bad guy, but you seriously need to crack down on her about her absences. You also need to start monitoring her timecard and not rely on the office manager to do it. It's highly likely that she's not reporting all of her absences.
Old 07 August 2012, 01:15 AM

Baseball

Dear Ivan Nova,

The next time Miguel Cabrera comes up to bat?

WALK HIM.
Old 07 August 2012, 06:26 AM

Dear absolutely devastated customer,
I wish nothing but the best for you, and I hope that the job leads I gave you help.
I meant what I said to you-you get through this by putting your head down, squaring yourself, and putting one foot in front of the other. One day, you're going to look up and say "I'm not good, but I'm better."

What I didn't say,and maybe I should have, because it might have made you smile a bit, was take the time to read anything and everything by Mr. Rogers. Sounds cheesy, I know, but if you think about it, he never puts a price on his love. He doesn't know you, but you know if he did, he'd love you all the same.

Take care of you, and your kidlets, and know that someone somewhere does give a damn.
Old 07 August 2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
To the person whose wife came in late the first day on the job and was terminated for it:

Look, I understand, it was an unexpected traffic jam and it wasn't your wife's fault. But her employer didn't know that. This isn't a known employee with a perfect attendance record. They were afraid that calling in saying you're going to be late and then coming late was going to be a typical occurrence. It's not the impression you want to make on the first day.

Thanks.

Bill
And while it may not be much comfort now does she really want to work for a company that would fire someone without even giving them a chance? I know I wouldn't. I want managers who understand that even the best laid plans can get screwed up through no fault of one's own.
Old 07 August 2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
And while it may not be much comfort now does she really want to work for a company that would fire someone without even giving them a chance? I know I wouldn't. I want managers who understand that even the best laid plans can get screwed up through no fault of one's own.
Agreed. I've had two different jobs where something went horribly wrong on the first day. One job, I was also caught in a traffic jam--I knew I wasn't far from work, but I didn't know the area well (it was on the other side of the metro area from where I lived) enough to know another way to get there. I called the manager to let him know where I was, and he was able to guide me through another route in. I was still late, but he was understanding that these things happen.

Another one, I was on my way in, saw a huge pothole in my path, and couldn't avoid it without going into one of the next lanes and hitting another car, and wound up with a snapped axle. Had to call that manager to explain as well. He was understanding, too--in fact, when I told him where I was, he knew exactly what pothole I meant. He said he'd seen it that morning and had been thinking it was going to get somebody soon. He was just sorry it was me. So I was pretty much a whole half-day late on that first day.

Magdalene
Who hopes that trend doesn't continue her first day at a new job coming up in three weeks
Old 07 August 2012, 05:29 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
One of the best examples of that is Pascual Perez, who had his best 2 seasons as a major league pitcher after having missed his first start because he got lost on Atlanta's beltway, I-285, circling around and around, not realizing he needed to turn onto one of the interstates that actually go into downtown:

Quote:
The Braves may not have known exactly what they were getting in the rail-thin Perez, but it didn’t take long to find out. On August 19, 1982, Perez was scheduled to make his debut start in Atlanta. As game time approached, Perez was nowhere to be found. When Perez finally showed up – well after the game began – he explained that he drove around I-285 three times looking for the ballpark before finally running out of gas. Here’s how the story was reported in Sports Illustrated:

“When I get lost, I been in Atlanta for four days,” says Perez. “I rent a car and get my driving permit that morning, and I leave for the stadium very early, but I forget where to make a turn right.”
http://riveraveblues.com/2012/02/the...pitcher-63799/
Old 07 August 2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
At least you get automatic "cost of living increases." I've never gotten one, and I've never heard of anyone in the private sector getting one either. We discussed this a while ago on another thread.
Not only have I gone several years at a time without a raise, at my previous job I received a 10% pay cut. And every one of those years without a raise, my health insurance costs went up, so the net effect was a pay cut (not 10%, though).
Old 07 August 2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
You should try for a state job, then.
Closed Thread