snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Computers

Old 03 June 2008, 11:20 AM

At an old job, we were having an issue with one company, Infotrieve. I thought it was appropriate that the spellchecker kept coming up as Infuriate.
Old 03 June 2008, 11:26 AM

I went to high school with a girl whose last name was Harless. The yearbook printed her name as "Hairless". We never knew if it was an error or if someone on the yearbook staff did it on purpose.

Quote:
The mistakes were found on four of the yearbook's 176 pages
I dislike this statement. That sounds like a really low rate of error, but how many errors were on those four pages?
Old 03 June 2008, 02:29 PM

Cheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious View Post
If a printing error changed my name in the yearbook to "Max Supernova" there's no way in hell I'd let them change it.
Oh, if only we could change our screen names here.

ETA: But as per my boss' suggestion, I'm now Max Supernova on Facebook!

Last edited by Canuckistan; 03 June 2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 03 June 2008, 02:50 PM

I was going through one of my elementary school yearbooks not too long ago and noticed an interesting error. Two boys in my grade had similar last names, all the letters were the same except one started with a "C" and the other with a "P". Glancing through I saw a picture, saw its label, and thought "wait, that's not Jason P., that's Tim C.!" What is really stupid is that the students are listed alphabetically, and the photo for Tim C. was in its proper alphabetical order, so the name starting with "P" surrounded by others starting with "C" really stood out as wrong. I can't quite imagine what would lead to the error where they would use the wrong name if they at some point knew the right name or he would have been misalphabetized. I checked to see if they were switched, but both boys' pictures were labeled Jason P.
Old 03 June 2008, 03:00 PM

Back in the day (pre hard drive when floppys actually were floppy) my spellchecker/grammar checker always wanted to change my last name to "Wildly". I guess i was meant to be an adjective instead of a noun.

That would explain a lot about my life.
Old 03 June 2008, 05:25 PM

Am I the only one who finds that spellcheckers are way more trouble than they are worth? They miss anything that is a real word and try to change every technical term I use.

dew"dewy"ey
Old 03 June 2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
I was going through one of my elementary school yearbooks not too long ago and noticed an interesting error. Two boys in my grade had similar last names, all the letters were the same except one started with a "C" and the other with a "P". Glancing through I saw a picture, saw its label, and thought "wait, that's not Jason P., that's Tim C.!" What is really stupid is that the students are listed alphabetically, and the photo for Tim C. was in its proper alphabetical order, so the name starting with "P" surrounded by others starting with "C" really stood out as wrong. I can't quite imagine what would lead to the error where they would use the wrong name if they at some point knew the right name or he would have been misalphabetized. I checked to see if they were switched, but both boys' pictures were labeled Jason P.

My brother is in one of his yearbooks twice - as John Latiam and Latiam John.
The second picture is his retake.
Old 04 June 2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
I am now writing a novel in which the main characters are named Max Supernova, and Ingod Wetrust.
What's wrong with Heywood Jablome?
Old 04 June 2008, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey View Post
Am I the only one who finds that spellcheckers are way more trouble than they are worth? They miss anything that is a real word and try to change every technical term I use.

dew"dewy"ey
Yep,they can be really aggravating, but if it picks up a couple of my typos, I consider it justified. I do NOT use a spellchecker on message board posts. It's an informal forum. I think spellcheck should be used on any formal work, and on posts to a message board where posting is part of a school assignments. I think it should be used on anything of great length (if you're typing five pages, it does not matter whether it's an essay or a letter to your mother about your two-year-old child's birthday party or a blog entry, spellcheck) and if you know you are highly prone to spelling errors or typos, yes, you should use it even on some shorter stuff.

For people who can spell fairly well and type fairly well, a spell check may do exactly what you describe, but it makes improvements on a lot of work.....just not all work by all people.

Incidentally, my school's website has a built in spellchecker, which will not accept the abbreviation 'yo' (as in 2yo) but instead wants to turn it into, among other options, 'ho'.

And since my last name is a correct spelling of a real word, it doesn't affect me so nyah.
Old 04 June 2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey View Post
I've got very lazy since spellcheckers came in. I used to be a good speller, but not any more.
Old 04 June 2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
MS spellchecker is carp.

This is precisely why I don't trust spellcheckers ... I've written one blog post too many that were full of mis-spellings that the spellcheck didn't pick up because I'd spelled a word as another word. Grrrr.
Old 05 June 2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mags View Post
Way to make schools really trust using you as a publisher, there. I would think if it happens all the time, every year, you might want to have your editors, I don't know, be a little more careful with spellcheck?
And stickers? OOh, if someone screwed up my yearbook I would be mad about covering it with a sticker. I'd want a new yearbook. When my school got all ours with our Hebrew names spelled left to right we sent 'em back and got new ones.
Old 23 June 2008, 12:33 PM

I am acting against somebody at the moment whose name is always spellchecked as "Nazi". I mean, my client has some issue with her, but I don't think she would go that far.
Old 23 June 2008, 02:54 PM

I'm surprised to learn from this thread that people use spellcheckers with auto-correct turned on. I've never done that, largely because of things like proper names. I have it on, but it just underlines those words it doesn't recognize, and I can correct them or not.

It's a lot like the grammar function. No way do I trust MS Word's grammar checker enough to just take all its suggestions. In fact, I usually find myself arguing with it, until I realize that the computer doesn't really care what I think. Then I stop muttering and just do it my way.

And Mosherette is of course right; spellcheckers don't make sure you use the right word, only that you didn't type a non-existent word. So, proof-reading is still required.

The really amazing thing to me is, any decent publishing company should know all this.
Old 23 June 2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater View Post
What's wrong with Heywood Jablome?
He used to be listed in our city phone book, 10 or so years ago.
Old 25 June 2008, 03:31 PM

When writing about Harry Potter, I discovered that my spellchecker wants to change "Slytherin" to "Lutheran." Given that JKR is a Presbyterian, I'm finding this somewhat serendipitous.
Old 26 June 2008, 01:23 AM
Maddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spam & Cookies-mmm View Post

I dislike this statement. That sounds like a really low rate of error, but how many errors were on those four pages?
Many. This is my cousin and sister's school. Every uncommon name was mispelled, many with hilarious results. From what I heard, none of the students were really upset. Max, who is my cousin's friend, certainly wasn't and was very pleased with the error.

This is exactly what I would expect coming from my old high school! I'm so proud.

Her name is Cassie Carbaugh, by the way. Not Kathy. Another error!

Last edited by Maddie; 26 June 2008 at 01:26 AM. Reason: My own spelling mistake :O
Old 09 July 2008, 05:00 AM

Teacher Spellcheck

I never leave mine on autocorrect either, but I do use the "enter into dictionary" choice. For example, when a new term starts I type a list of my students, usually around 90 of them, and pass it around for corrections. I then enter any underlined names into the dictionary as a "first last" unit. This prevents me from misspelling names on the countless lists, forms, letters generated during the year. Stacie, Stacey, Stacee and even Stayci appreciate it.
Old 09 July 2008, 05:04 AM

Australia

My surname consistently gets changed to pesterer. Some people find this eerily prescient.

Dropbear
Old 11 July 2008, 08:41 PM

I don't want to mention his actual full name but my best friend Jonny in Juniour High School had his named changed under his year book picture to Jenny Jacket. That stuck for a while.