snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > The Doctor Is In

Old 21 November 2017, 06:04 PM

Default The Last Of The Iron Lungs

https://gizmodo.com/the-last-of-the-...ngs-1819079169

Quote:
In 2013, the Post-Polio Health International (PPHI) organizations estimated that there were six to eight iron lung users in the United States. Now, PPHI executive director Brian Tiburzi says he doesn’t know anyone alive still using the negative-pressure ventilators. This fall, I met three polio survivors who depend on iron lungs. They are among the last few, possibly the last three.
I wish the anti-vaxxers* could meet these people and see what they have to go through every day. As my grandmother was a polio survivor, I own my bias.

*Of course, I'm talking about the ones who don't vax because fear of TEH AUTIZM!!1!1, not those who legitimately can't vax due to medical reasons.
Old 21 November 2017, 08:28 PM

That is a fantastic article. Thank you for sharing it. The anti-vac people drive me crazy. My stepmom posted an anti-vac article the other day (FDA Admits Vaccines Cause Autism!!!) and when I posted, again, the snopes article about how that is total BS, I asked how many more people need to die before they stop passing along crap like that. Now, for some reason, my step mom is ticked.
Old 21 November 2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
*Of course, I'm talking about the ones who don't vax because fear of TEH AUTIZM!!1!1, not those who legitimately can't vax due to medical reasons.
I wouldn't call people who can't get vaccinated for genuine medical reasons anti-vaxxers. They're just unvaccinated; there's a difference.

Of course, if they go around telling people who don't have such reasons not to get vaccinated, then they'd be both unvaccinated and anti-vaxxers.

-- The polio vaccine came out when I was four. One of my earliest memories is of being in a car full of other little kids, all of us being taken to be vaccinated as soon as our parents could manage it. I had friends who were slightly older who were survivors. (The non-survivors, of course, I never got a chance to be friends with.)
Old 22 November 2017, 02:24 PM

This is one case where you can read the comments. The woman profiled in the article answers some questions in the comments (like why can't she use a more modern solution).
Old 22 November 2017, 09:33 PM

Marvelous, interesting article. Thanks for posting.
Old 23 November 2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post

-- The polio vaccine came out when I was four. One of my earliest memories is of being in a car full of other little kids, all of us being taken to be vaccinated as soon as our parents could manage it. I had friends who were slightly older who were survivors. (The non-survivors, of course, I never got a chance to be friends with.)
I remember being vaccinated at school. My memory is that is was an inoculation but my sister is convinced it was given to us orally in a sugar cube. I don't know which of us is remembering right. I do know we were vaccinated! My mother was a nurse and had spent some of her early nursing career in a polio hospital. You can just imagine what her opinion of anti-vaxxers is.
Old 23 November 2017, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I remember being vaccinated at school. My memory is that is was an inoculation but my sister is convinced it was given to us orally in a sugar cube. I don't know which of us is remembering right.
I don't remember the vaccination itself; just being in the car on the way there and, I think (although fuzzier) being in a very large room with even more little kids (and their associated adults) at the place where they were going to give us the vaccine.
Old 23 November 2017, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I remember being vaccinated at school. My memory is that is was an inoculation but my sister is convinced it was given to us orally in a sugar cube. I don't know which of us is remembering right. I do know we were vaccinated! My mother was a nurse and had spent some of her early nursing career in a polio hospital. You can just imagine what her opinion of anti-vaxxers is.
There are two different types of polio vaccinations. IPV, which used inactivated poliovirus and is given by injection, and OPV, which used a weakened poliovirus and is given orally. I remember an old Peanuts cartoon from sometime in the late 1950s or early 1960s, where Lucy had been given the oral polio vaccine on a sugar cube (the punchline being her dentist protested her eating sugar cubes).

Either way, anti-vaxxers are lunatics.
Old 24 November 2017, 08:58 PM

I have a very vague memory of drinking something out of a tube that I have always though was to immunize for polio. I seem to remember there was more than one dose, given in separate appointments. But, as I say, vague.
Old 25 November 2017, 03:37 AM

Royalty

I got the oral vaccine as a child on a sugar lump. But when I got the vaccine as an adult, it was a liquid and I got a fun sized box of (British) Smarties as a reward.

I worked with sewage and the company decided to vaccinate all staff against several diseases as a precaution. I remember getting both the polio and diphtheria ones. I can't remember which others we got at the time.
Old 25 November 2017, 08:01 PM

I seem to recall the first polio vaccination that I got was the injected Salk vaccine.

Then it became an oral dose, the Sabin vaccine. I don't remember getting an injected polio vaccine after that initial one in the mid 1950s.
Old 25 November 2017, 09:31 PM

I vaguely remember eating a sugar cube. I was a fussy kid and I didn't like it; I'm pretty sure my mom made sure I ate the whole thing...she was always on to me.
Old 27 November 2017, 03:47 PM

Glasses

I'm pretty sure I got a shot, and I'm pretty sure it was at school. While standing in line, we talked about fainting (one girl bragged about getting two stitches because she cut her chin when she fainted) and my teacher talked about hating shots and finding it easier to relax if she didn't watch what was happening. She's the one who told me that relaxing the muscle made shots hurt less, which I've always remembered and tried to remember to do (because she was right).

I have no clue what year it was, although it had to have been between 1966 and 1970. I had female teachers in 1-4th grades.

Seaboe
Old 29 November 2017, 02:21 PM

I remember getting both vaccines when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade. They were being given to all of the students in grade school. We all lined up by grade in the All Purpose Room; I remember being freaked out by the automated shot. IIRC, some of the moms who were volunteering had to flush some of the girls out of the bathroom. No pun intended.

Dawn--lets hide in the bathroom! No one will ever find us!--Storm
Old 29 November 2017, 02:32 PM

I was given a liquid vaccine, in early elementary school I think. They didn't put it on a sugar cube, they just had us open our mouths and tilt our heads back and they dropped it in. IIRC, I moved my head and some of mine ended up on my chin.