snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Science

Old 15 November 2017, 08:28 AM

Of course they generally use tech better suited for identifying whether a given person is likely to be a parent, which is a different problem. I would submit some do use better tech and some don't. That's why (unlike DNA ancestry) there's a accreditation process. Not all parentage vendors are accredited. (Also the price is not orders of magnitude different. Depends on the company and the test.)

In any case it's more like comparing one telescope to see the planets and a different one to see the moon. Sure, you get better pics of the moon but it's not necessarily because the scope is better.

Last edited by ganzfeld; 15 November 2017 at 08:35 AM.
Old 15 November 2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Yes. Indeed if you read the legal literature nad court cases the ability to prove non-parent hood is generally considered to be scientifically irrefutable. It can only be refuted on procedural grounds but EVERYTHING in a legal case is refutable on those grounds.

The reliability to prove parenthood is almost as strong and I would argue that even that is stronger than virtually anything else in a trial. Eyewitnesses are notoriously unreliable. Confessions are notorious unreliable. Even finger prints are no longer considered to be foolproof, like they once were, because there is a fair amount of subjectivity in fingerprint matching.
Fingerprint failure rate roughly 0.1% in this study http://www.pnas.org/content/108/19/7733

Also, https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/a...so-scientific/
Teeth marks, hair, even fingerprints are considered less reliable than DNA.
I tried clicking on the underlined "scientifically irrefutable," but you seem to have forgotten to link your cite there.
Old 16 November 2017, 05:47 PM

Icon102

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleHunter View Post

I'm pleased to know these companies are full of it.

Being that part of my family is Irish Catholic, even primary records aren't too useful. It's really tough telling all those Marys apart.
Well there's Proud Mary, the Virgin Mary, Mother Mary, Cross-eyed Mary; Mary with her little lamb; the Quite Contrary one, et al.

My paternal uncle was way into genealogy long before it was cool. He gave me parents this thick green book that just listed names and dates. The most interesting part was the page where my name was listed. Other than that, it was a real eye-glazer. I do know that my dad's ancestors hailed from England, Wales and Scotland and my mom's ancestors were German. So I'm a Scots-Irish woman waving a German flag. Must explain why I like Dobermans.
Old 16 November 2017, 06:30 PM

I've recently had a DNA test done, and just signed up for a second. In the process I also signed up for Ancestry.com, for one month.

Ancestry allows each person to build their own family tree. It provides access to a whole lot of supporting documents. These are all legal documents which will give one a half dozen or more generations of family history. That's enough to trace several of my ancestors to 'the boat'. From my own stand point that's enough.

The DNA test I had done tells me about my 'deep ancestry' which compares my DNA that to people in general regions of the world. In my case all my ancestors fall into four regions of Europe, the smallest of which accounts for 5%. I don't know what the smallest percentage they show would be or if there is a maximum number of regions they will show for an individual.

The test also shows a trace of some of my DNA markers which follow a path all the way back to human origins in Africa. Although I believe the information is accurate, its not clear to me why there are only two of these markers. Essentially, I am seeing a trace of two 'random' ancestors.
Old 16 November 2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
Well there's Proud Mary, the Virgin Mary, Mother Mary, Cross-eyed Mary; Mary with her little lamb; the Quite Contrary one, et al.

My paternal uncle was way into genealogy long before it was cool. He gave me parents this thick green book that just listed names and dates. The most interesting part was the page where my name was listed. Other than that, it was a real eye-glazer. I do know that my dad's ancestors hailed from England, Wales and Scotland and my mom's ancestors were German. So I'm a Scots-Irish woman waving a German flag. Must explain why I like Dobermans.
My ancestors are from France... Poitiers (circa 1614) on one side and Berry/Guyenne (circa 1668) on the other