snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 31 October 2017, 09:30 PM

And there's this:

Quote:
The Coast Guard made radio contact with a vessel that identified itself as the Sea Nymph in June near Tahiti, and the captain said they were not in distress and expected to make land the next morning.
This whole thing is starting to sound like they're trying to set themselves up as the stars of a survival movie.
Old 31 October 2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEL View Post
Their claim that their boat was too big rests on the fact that the owner added 6 tonnes of fibreglass to the hull to strengthen it (but shark attacks were tsill an issue, I guess) gave it an 8.5 draft. That is too deep. She also claimed that the 50 foot length made it too long to manoeuvre in the harbours.
Are you saying that 8.5 feet is too deep or is that what they claim? And how the heck to you add 6.5 tons to a vessel that size? That's probably double the empty hull weight. And why? 50 footers are well built and should be able to handle all but the strongest seas as they are. If they did add that much weight, that would certainly explain all the other issues they had.

And if g-you can't maneuver a 50 foot ship (sail or motor) in a standard harbor, g-you shouldn't be sailing a 50 foot ship.
Old 31 October 2017, 10:09 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
Are you saying that 8.5 feet is too deep or is that what they claim?
They claimed it was too deep. It was in another article where they claimed their draft was 8.5 feet.

How do you add 6 tonnes? I have no clue. I have dreams of sailing, have done some sailing, but don't know enough about anything to know if 6 tonnes is too much.
Old 31 October 2017, 10:34 PM

6 tones is a lot. Depending on the exact model, it would be about 1/3 again the empty weight of the vessel. Think how a Chevy Impala would handle if you welded 1,200 lbs of armor to the body and then loaded it with about 100 lbs of food**.

* For comparison, the armor kits for a Humvee are as light as 750 lbs.
** Scaled to match curb weight of Impala vs empty displacement of a 50 ft Catalina.
Old 01 November 2017, 11:16 PM

Baseball

http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/lost-at-...ries-1.3658724

A consolidated list of their inconsistencies in the story and what changes to the narrative they have made.

In regards to the emergency beacon, at least one expert thinks the women did not know how to operate it, or how it functioned.
Old 01 November 2017, 11:45 PM

One of them knew how to alter the keel, but not how to operate the beacon? That’s an odd gap in her education.
Old 03 November 2017, 05:21 PM

Baseball

https://unreasonablydangerousonionri...ge-2/#comments

A rather comprehensive dissection of the story by an experienced sailor. Most of the comments are pretty good too as they are mostly sailors.

One even commented on the length of the roots of the woman's hair not being 5 months long, but more like 1 month.

I'm really curious about the slime on the side of the boat.
Old 04 November 2017, 10:50 AM

UEL, that was a great link.

To me that growth on the side of the boat would be consistent with a number of months at sea with the boat being in motion, but in my opinion would be more consistent with a boat which was drifting rather than actively sailing through the water. If it had been completely stationary such as at anchor, I would expect a thicker line of growth in a more even line along the waterline.

This pink yacht is a solo non stop around the world yacht which has been at sea at this stage for about 7 months, actively sailing through both the tropics and colder waters for comparison with the growth on the side.

To add a little perspective to the original story, here is one of my own experience.

The other pictures (sorry for the poor quality) are of a yacht we encountered in the Southern Indian Ocean. At this stage it had been at sea for about 3-4 months. It had been making way through the water (sailing) for most of that time. It had been knocked down (rolled over onto it's side with the mast in the water) at least once. We found it unexpectedly nearly 1000 miles from the nearest land, sails furled and drifting. It was an absolutely calm night.

A boarding team headed over because it was not responding to hails and we expected the worst, but it was all good news.

The skipper was very experienced but a little "eccentric" - he had no radio, no charts apart from an A4 map of the world, and an old handheld GPS. He had no torch, no flares, EPIRB, or other safety equipment. The engine worked intermittently. He had a sail plan and explained exactly where he was going and how he was going to get there. He was running a bit low on food, all he had was pasta and rice and a few other bits and pieces.

As the skipper was a little disheveled and we were concerned for his welfare, our doctor came aboard and had a chat and gave him a quick exam (with his consent) and confirmed that he was fit and of sound mind. We also asked if we could pass any messages for him, and subsequently spoke to his sister in the US who said that he often headed off on voyages like this one (he was on his way to Australia this time).

A safety check of the yacht showed it was actually in fairly good shape (dry bilges, nothing broken etc). We gave him a torch and batteries, food and fuel, and he headed on his way.

Being able to sail around the whole world on a yacht on the high seas I think is one of the great freedoms we have, and I get disappointed with some reckless or inexperienced sailors who bring bad press to the rest.
Old 04 November 2017, 11:41 AM

When we follow the article that the boat must have been weighted down for some time - is there anything you would reasonably smuggle in that area? Anything they would have taken from their last port of call to some other, maybe bigger vessel offshore?
Old 04 November 2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
One even commented on the length of the roots of the woman's hair not being 5 months long, but more like 1 month.
The blond looks to me like she has more than one month of grey in her roots, so I’m not sure about this argument. But their description of tigershark behavior is poppycock. It’s utter fiction, and not even good fiction. If I saw that in a movie I’d be laughing out loud at the absurdity of it.
Old 04 November 2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I agree the story is full of holes, but I'd take that particular comment with a huge grain of salt. Hair growth rates vary widely among individuals, so "one month of roots" is, by itself, a meaningless concept. Plus if they were talking about the blond woman, I question how well someone could distinguish blond from gray in the available pictures.
Old 05 November 2017, 12:12 AM

I don't know about the shark behaviour. I just saw tiger sharks attacking a car. In a documentary. Titled "Sharknado"...

Old 05 November 2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Being able to sail around the whole world on a yacht on the high seas I think is one of the great freedoms we have, and I get disappointed with some reckless or inexperienced sailors who bring bad press to the rest.
This is one of the few points that the critiques of the women's story misses. It is entirely possible to sail for weeks or months with a single person on board. So only having one experienced sailor on board wasn't necessarily a non-starter in terms of a months long voyage.
Old 11 November 2017, 03:51 PM

Default Women Rescued After Five Months at Sea Claim They Were Rammed by Taiwanese Vessel

In a belated revelation, Jennifer Appel and Tasha Fuiava said they were attacked by would-be rescuers and were never actually "lost at sea."

https://www.snopes.com/2017/11/09/wo...months-at-sea/

They want to be con artists, but they’re just so bad at it.
Old 11 November 2017, 05:07 PM

First they claimed she swam aboard the other boat while being towed, now they're saying she used a surfboard.

I find both possibilities equally implausible.
Old 12 November 2017, 10:13 PM

I think the two women could have a great future in the Turnip's administration.