snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Amusement Bark

Old 06 July 2017, 04:32 PM

Spit Take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadsterboy View Post
There's a commercial for Nespresso coffee makers running right now that irritates me to no end. It features George Clooney, and some other actor who I don't recognize.
I also don't know if it's actually a scene from Seabiscuit, but it's the only horse racing film that pops into my head at the moment.
Other Actor is Andy Garcia, and yes, that's "Seabiscuit."
Old 14 July 2017, 05:54 PM

There's an ad on YouTube for a "Hard Knocks"-type show, with camera crews following the coaches and players of an NFL team. Unfortunately, whoever made the ad chose to base it around a clip of the head coach telling his assistants he'd just been fired. While I admit it grabbed my attention the first time I saw it, seeing it once is more than enough... so having it pop up again and again seems rather sadistic on the part of the advertisers.
Old 15 July 2017, 01:04 AM

Mouse

All those tooth-whitening commercials as of late seem to feature a women with white teeth telling her yellow-toothed friend about this new whitener that will make her teeth all white. But the problem is the yellow-toothed friend's teeth are as jaw-droppingly white as her friends, making me wonder if they are catering to the sufferers of body dysmorphic demographic.
Old 15 July 2017, 05:42 PM

The one I love is the brilliantly white toothed woman who is deleting all the pictures of herself because her teeth are yellow in them. You'd think if they don't want to yellow up someone's teeth for their "before I whitened my teeth" scene that they, at the very least, would not have her grinning at the camera like the Cheshire Cat!
Old 16 July 2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
The one I love is the brilliantly white toothed woman who is deleting all the pictures of herself because her teeth are yellow in them. You'd think if they don't want to yellow up someone's teeth for their "before I whitened my teeth" scene that they, at the very least, would not have her grinning at the camera like the Cheshire Cat!
Someone should pitch the idea of including "yellow teeth remover" along with "red eye remover" to companies who sell graphics editors. "Make your grandchildren look like they were smiling" would go over well, too.
Old 17 July 2017, 08:30 PM

Bang Head

Superbeets, a woo/scam product, has an ad currently running that makes my hackles raise every time it comes on, because the logic... just isn't. But I suppose I'm not their target audience.

"If I told you that you could get [various amazing health benefits] by drinking an 'earthy' beverage every day, would you do it? Probably not! But what if I told you you could get the same benefits by drinking delicious Superbeets?!"

1. If you told me I could get any health benefits by drinking an "earthy" beverage, I'd be skeptical and check it out; I'd certainly find there are no particular benefits that can't be obtained with a good diet.

2. So if the "earthy" drink doesn't do any good, why should I pay extra for your woo product just because it tastes better?

"If I told you that you could fly by pinning rabid bats in your hair, would you do it? Probably not! But what if I told you you could fly by pinning hummingbirds in your hair?"
Old 17 July 2017, 09:26 PM

Speaking of woo/scam products -- Peter Popoff's Miracle Water. The first time I saw those ads I thought it had to be a parody of televangelists (I mean the name Peter Popoff totally sounds like a joke, right?). But it seems to be real, so I would classify it as a commercial I hate. And does anyone really fall for that stuff?
Old 17 July 2017, 10:13 PM

Popoff got rich off people falling for that stuff.

Commercial I hate: the new Cheerios "good goes around" commercial. The TV commercial isn't too bad, but the first version I saw was a three minute long version at the movie theater that was way too long and repetitive.
Old 18 July 2017, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
Speaking of woo/scam products -- Peter Popoff's Miracle Water. The first time I saw those ads I thought it had to be a parody of televangelists (I mean the name Peter Popoff totally sounds like a joke, right?). But it seems to be real, so I would classify it as a commercial I hate. And does anyone really fall for that stuff?
Its real, Popoff got really successful back in the day as a Televangelist who healed people on stage. His thing was calling out to people with very specific information about who they are and what they had. He cured them as most faith healers of (which is not at all).

He was debunked by James Randi who reveled that he was receiving information not from God as it appeared on screen, but a small receiver in his ear where the voice came from his wife feeding him information written by people filling out prayer cards. He lost a lot of favor after that.

Selling Holy water late nite is his new scam.
Old 20 July 2017, 08:18 PM

I hate this Home Hardware commercial

How did this couple buy this house and not know what a wreck it is? I get not knowing about Speedo guy next door, but did they not even look at it?

And I really, really hate the song. I grates on my nerves as much as that 'one day baby we'll be old song' that was in some car commercial.
Old 21 July 2017, 07:17 AM

Whalephant

Quote:

"If I told you that you could fly by pinning rabid bats in your hair, would you do it? Probably not! But what if I told you you could fly by pinning hummingbirds in your hair?"
You didn't mention if the hummingbirds were rabid or not.
Old 21 July 2017, 03:28 PM

On Hallmark Movies & Mysteries channel, they are doing a Christmas in July week. I don't care for it and won't be watching it, but understand that there's people who really enjoy the warm microChristmas and I am not going to deny them a simple harmless pleasure. The commercials, though, are real remote lungers. I usually watch DVRed shows from that channel, but always forget that a commercial break is going to come up, and without fail, the CiJ ad is the first one to run in each break. It opens with a few women singing Deck the Halls, but something about the way they sing it just grates my bum- it's not just me not prepared for Christmas music in July , but as soon as i hear the "Deeeeck~" I dive for the remote to hit fast forward as quickly as possible. It just comes on so often and despite going through the same routine each time, I fail to prepare myself during the pre-commercial break fade and then am stuck making a sour face until I skip all the way back to the program.
Old 21 July 2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitap View Post
You didn't mention if the hummingbirds were rabid or not.
Only mammals can catch rabies.

Which is why hummingbirds are clearly a better option (easier to feed too).
Old 21 July 2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
DH loves watching him....for the laughs. From what I've read, Popoff did jail time for fraud, but his followers don't seem to care; or maybe they don't know it.
Old 21 July 2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooeygun View Post
I hate this Home Hardware commercial

How did this couple buy this house and not know what a wreck it is? I get not knowing about Speedo guy next door, but did they not even look at it?

And I really, really hate the song. I grates on my nerves as much as that 'one day baby we'll be old song' that was in some car commercial.
My husband hates this one too. Mainly because of the song. I don't mind it but can someone explain to me why a singer would pronounce mountain as mountain with the "tain" pronounced to rhyme with rain? It grates on me every time.
Old 21 July 2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnStorm View Post
DH loves watching him....for the laughs. From what I've read, Popoff did jail time for fraud, but his followers don't seem to care; or maybe they don't know it.
Yeah, I mean the ads are amusing. Like I said I even had a hard time believing they weren't parody ads at first. But since they are actually serious, I hate them because Popoff is making money scamming gullible people. Ok, he says the water is free, but there has to be a catch. I imagine when you order it they really pressure you hard for a "donation" or something along those lines.
Old 21 July 2017, 06:33 PM

Frying Pan

Hey, hair gel doesn't pay for itself!!