snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Entertainment

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03 April 2007, 05:18 PM
snopes's Avatar
snopes snopes is offline
 
Join Date: 18 February 2000
Location: California
Posts: 109,644
Icon81 'Paul McCartney is dead' myth tops rock's ridiculous rumour poll

Beatles' legend Sir Paul McCartney's death riddle has topped an online poll of rock's greatest myths.

http://www.dailyindia.com/show/13047...us-rumour-poll
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04 April 2007, 01:21 AM
KingDavid8 KingDavid8 is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 4,126
Default

Isn't #4 (Angie Bowie caught her husband in bed with Mick Jagger) true? IIRC, she did say that she didn't actually see them having sex, but she did find them sleeping naked in the same bed, and assumed they'd been intimate. Or was it later proven that she made it up or something?

David
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04 April 2007, 01:24 AM
We'veBeenHad
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hmm. I listened to Revolution 9 backwards and it really does say Paul McCartney's dead (very clearly.) Is that where the myth came from?

I don't know about Angie Bowie but I saw the woman who Mick wrote the song Angie for on either Maury or Sally Jessie and she mentioned catching them in bed. She was Mick's girl, not David's, though. She was also really cool - tattoos, biker gear, tough attitude etc.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04 April 2007, 01:26 AM
Jenn's Avatar
Jenn Jenn is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: Alberta
Posts: 19,477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDavid8 View Post
Isn't #4 (Angie Bowie caught her husband in bed with Mick Jagger) true? IIRC, she did say that she didn't actually see them having sex, but she did find them sleeping naked in the same bed, and assumed they'd been intimate. Or was it later proven that she made it up or something?
http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/bowie.htm
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04 April 2007, 02:45 AM
OptimusShr
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I just thought of the "Bring out your dead!" scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail involving Paul McCartney.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04 April 2007, 03:55 AM
J.G. Walker's Avatar
J.G. Walker J.G. Walker is offline
 
Join Date: 24 November 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 373
Default Paul is (was) dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by We'veBeenHad View Post
Hmm. I listened to Revolution 9 backwards and it really does say Paul McCartney's dead (very clearly.) Is that where the myth came from?
"Revolution #9" played backwards says "Turn me on, dead man." At the end of "Strawberry Fields," a warbly voice (John's, I always assumed) says something that sounds like "I buried Paul"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04 April 2007, 03:57 AM
We'veBeenHad
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Good link, Jenn. Admittedly, the Angie I saw (not on Joan Rivers, though) merely *claimed* that the song was about her; that's not exactly proof that it's true.

And anyway why the big deal? As the one guy said in Hair "Well I wouldn't kick Mick Jagger out of my bed, but I'm not homosexual." I mean, were I single I doubt I'd have kicked either one out of my bed either
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04 April 2007, 03:59 AM
We'veBeenHad
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yeah it says Turn Me On Dead Man repeatedly; but (now I agree memory is a sketchy thing here, so I could be wrong) I was sure that before it goes into that it first says "Paul McCartney's dead." If it doesn't, my bad. I really can't test it out now.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04 April 2007, 09:03 AM
Ramblin' Dave's Avatar
Ramblin' Dave Ramblin' Dave is offline
 
Join Date: 11 May 2005
Location: Singapore
Posts: 13,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.G. Walker View Post
At the end of "Strawberry Fields," a warbly voice (John's, I always assumed) says something that sounds like "I buried Paul"
Yes, it is John, but he's saying "cranberry sauce."

ETA: Speaking of John, I'd never even heard of #5. Or #2 either, but I was only ever a lukewarm Fleetwood Mac fan. If #5 were that widespread, I have to think I'd have read it somewhere.

Last edited by Ramblin' Dave; 04 April 2007 at 09:06 AM. Reason: I should have read the link first!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04 April 2007, 11:36 AM
KingDavid8 KingDavid8 is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 4,126
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by We'veBeenHad View Post
Yeah it says Turn Me On Dead Man repeatedly; but (now I agree memory is a sketchy thing here, so I could be wrong) I was sure that before it goes into that it first says "Paul McCartney's dead." If it doesn't, my bad. I really can't test it out now.
You might be thinking of the gobbledygook between "I'm So Tired" and "Blackbird", which played backwards sounds kind of like, "Paul is dead man. Miss him, miss him, miss him." Supposedly, the gobbledygook was John mumbling "Monsiour Monsiour Monsiour, How bout another one?"

You can hear it (and other backwards stuff) here: http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking.htm

David
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04 April 2007, 11:54 AM
jw jw is offline
 
Join Date: 06 March 2006
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 5,066
Default

Paul McCartney has died a few times, it seems.

Faul lives on as Paul McCartney.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04 April 2007, 12:58 PM
diddy diddy is offline
 
Join Date: 07 March 2004
Location: Plymouth, MN
Posts: 10,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by We'veBeenHad View Post
Hmm. I listened to Revolution 9 backwards and it really does say Paul McCartney's dead (very clearly.) Is that where the myth came from?
As somebody else has said, their is no "Paul McCartney's Dead". Your mind is playing tricks on you by interpreting gibberish as real words.

Playing songs backwards will always yield random stuff (unless the artist specifically put it in backwards and then its blatantly obvious) and if your told what to look for it will almost always sound like what you expect it to.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04 April 2007, 02:44 PM
diddy diddy is offline
 
Join Date: 07 March 2004
Location: Plymouth, MN
Posts: 10,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
As somebody else has said, their is no "Paul McCartney's Dead". Your mind is playing tricks on you by interpreting gibberish as real words.

Playing songs backwards will always yield random stuff (unless the artist specifically put it in backwards and then its blatantly obvious) and if your told what to look for it will almost always sound like what you expect it to.
An addendum: Snopes linked to This site on the subject
Wikipedia's take on the evidence
At least most Beatles fans know its false...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04 April 2007, 04:52 PM
Joostik's Avatar
Joostik Joostik is offline
 
Join Date: 14 July 2003
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Posts: 1,789
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by We'veBeenHad View Post
Admittedly, the Angie I saw (not on Joan Rivers, though) merely *claimed* that the song was about her
She's so vain.

Anyway, I thought 'Jim Morrison is not dead' would be #2.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04 April 2007, 07:53 PM
UEL's Avatar
UEL UEL is offline
 
Join Date: 01 August 2004
Location: Fredericton, Canada
Posts: 9,155
Dog Paul is Dead

This is the legend that originally brought me to snopes.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04 April 2007, 08:37 PM
We'veBeenHad
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Agreed that backward masking is almost always comlete nonsense, and people hearing what they think they want to hear; it's hard to believe the Revolution 9 thing was an accident though, since it's very clear and repeats over and over. Maybe it was an accident even so. Thanks for the link to the Milner thing.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04 April 2007, 08:50 PM
diddy diddy is offline
 
Join Date: 07 March 2004
Location: Plymouth, MN
Posts: 10,928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by We'veBeenHad View Post
Agreed that backward masking is almost always comlete nonsense, and people hearing what they think they want to hear; it's hard to believe the Revolution 9 thing was an accident though, since it's very clear and repeats over and over. Maybe it was an accident even so. Thanks for the link to the Milner thing.
The problem with backwards masking is that once your told what to look for the brain fills in the gaps and you hear it regardless of if it is there or not.

It repeats though because the ending repeats. Trust me, it is not anything related to Paul McCartney. Never underestimate the power of suggestion.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04 April 2007, 10:12 PM
Mycroft Mycroft is offline
 
Join Date: 29 January 2006
Location: Portsmouth, UK
Posts: 1,309
Default


I was told that one piece of evidence was the cover of "Abbey Road" showing all four Beatles crossing the road, but Paul has bare feet, showing that he is dead.
The Rutles included the line 'Stig is dead, honestly' in "Piggy in the Middle", their version of "I am the Walrus" and had their own version of the rumour.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04 April 2007, 11:31 PM
Doug4.7
 
Posts: n/a
Ponder

I had a roommate in college who was really into the Beatles. He loved the "Paul is dead" stuff because it was so far-fetched. So this thread brings back some fond memories...

Chloe, you may work with him... (my old roommate, not Paul....)

Of course, isn't it ironic that Paul is just about the only Beatle left alive...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04 April 2007, 11:47 PM
Christie Christie is offline
 
Join Date: 28 November 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 30,909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug4.7 View Post
I had a roommate in college who was really into the Beatles. He loved the "Paul is dead" stuff because it was so far-fetched. So this thread brings back some fond memories...

Chloe, you may work with him... (my old roommate, not Paul....)

Of course, isn't it ironic that Paul is just about the only Beatle left alive...
There were four, now there are two. Does that really count as "just about the only Beatle left alive"?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.