snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Crash and Burn

Old 11 December 2015, 07:11 PM

Flame Hoverboards Put On No-Fly List, As Airlines Cite Fire Concerns

Quote:
Citing a potential fire hazard, major U.S. airlines are banning hoverboards from their cabins and cargo holds. Announcing its ban, Delta acknowledged the toy's "presence on many gift lists this holiday season" but said safety comes first.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...-fire-concerns

Technically, it's their batteries that are banned, but as I understand it the batteries are not removable so effectively the Hoverboards are banned entirely.
Old 11 December 2015, 08:03 PM

Well, if you have a hoverboard, why do you need to get on the plane in the first place?
Old 11 December 2015, 08:06 PM

What if you have to travel over water?
Old 11 December 2015, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhound View Post
Well, if you have a hoverboard, why do you need to get on the plane in the first place?
Well I know that you are joking (I hope at least) the current "hoverboards" I use the quotes since they don't really hover like the movies, are more like maglev devices since they rely on a special surface to us. You cannot go just anywhere with them.
Old 11 December 2015, 09:14 PM

Actually the ones the article is talking about (which are apparently the hot new toy this Christmas) have wheels -- they don't even hover at all, which makes your quotation marks all the more appropriate. They're basically kind of like Segways without the handlebars. I guess their marketing people just called them "Hoverboards" to cash in on the hype surrounding "Back to the Future Day".
Old 12 December 2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
Well I know that you are joking (I hope at least) the current "hoverboards" I use the quotes since they don't really hover like the movies, are more like maglev devices since they rely on a special surface to us. You cannot go just anywhere with them.
I corrected your statement.

And what Wilda said, they are a variant on the Segway. Except the small volume means very high energy density batteries that have a nasty habit of exceeding their ability to radiate heat (i.e., they burst into very difficult to extinguish flames.)
Old 12 December 2015, 01:28 PM

I think diddy is referring to this:

http://www.crealev.com/product/float...ard-display-2/

or this: http://www.kfbb.com/story/29413636/toyota-hoverboard

~Psihala

Last edited by Psihala; 12 December 2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12 December 2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Yea. The description that Wilda is referring to should not in any way be called a overboard. It stays on the ground. And if what jimmy101_again says is true, it sounds like that the banning is a good idea. They could be a big problem.

To what Wilda is saying, I think its really deceptive to call it a hoverboard - especially since critics donít even call devices like the Hendo board hoverboards and they arenít even on the ground.

Just a pet peeve of mine.
Old 12 December 2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy View Post
To what Wilda is saying, I think its really deceptive to call it a hoverboard - especially since critics donít even call devices like the Hendo board hoverboards and they arenít even on the ground.
"The Daily Show" did a bit about that recently. The gag was that Jessica Williams was all excited, thinking that it was going to be like a "Back to the Future" hoverboard only to see the actual device and get all angry and say "this isn't a hoverboard, it's a Segway without the stick.