snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Police Blotter

Old 16 July 2017, 08:22 PM

Default Kidnapping and the victim's death

I'm in a little debate at the moment and I wanted to ask here since there are people with greater familiarity with the US legal system.

Scenario: a character in a story has become a vigilante and murders people she has deemed to have gotten away with their crimes. She drugs and kidnaps someone, intending to kill him but then finds new evidence that exonerates him. In the meantime, he wakes up and, disoriented from being drugged, tries to fight her which results in his death because of the location they're in (he falls off a railing and drowns).

So this has caused a bit of a debate over what the vigilante's culpability in the other character's death was: was it murder or not?
Old 16 July 2017, 09:05 PM

The kidnapping is a felony, if a death happens while you are committing a felony, its considered murder.

ETA: Aside from the legalities, its still murder, IMO.
Old 16 July 2017, 09:10 PM

Ponder

Q: If a bank security guard pulls a gun on a robber who didn't want to kill anyone and who actually just decided they were going to return the money right before the guard pulled the gun, is it self-defense if the robber shoots the guard?

A: Only if you're a sovereign citizen.

Of course felony murder laws vary (or may be absent) by jurisdiction, so I wouldn't hang my hat on that for the OP (that said, IANAL, but I'd wager it's murder in every jurisdiction). After all: they're the one who drugged the victim, right? Even if it was just the disorientation from the drugs that caused the fall, not because they were pushed by the murderer.

Last edited by ASL; 16 July 2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 16 July 2017, 09:33 PM

It's an argument over a fictional story so there really isn't a jurisdiction to check. But that's pretty much what I thought was going to be the case.
Old 17 July 2017, 12:15 AM

Technically it isn't a kidnapping since there wasn't any intent to extort money. I think something like illegal confinement is correct.
Old 17 July 2017, 12:44 AM

I do not think extortion is necessarily part of the definition of kidnapping.
Old 17 July 2017, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
was it murder or not?
According to who? Are we talking in the legal sense? Because in that case it would be "the highest charge that the DA's office think they can make stick" which may or may not be murder depending on a whole bunch of other factors. It might end up being manslaughter or some lesser crime if they don't feel they could make a murder charge stick, or whether they offer a plea bargain, etc etc..
Old 17 July 2017, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Technically it isn't a kidnapping since there wasn't any intent to extort money. I think something like illegal confinement is correct.
Depends on the law but not really. Even those laws that require some nefarious purpose almost always include various ones, such plans to harm the person as in this case, or any kind of other crime, not only extortion.
Old 17 July 2017, 03:44 AM

The basics of kidnapping at common law--which is what most US jurisdictions have as a jumping off point, at least, are unlawful asportation and confinement against the person's will.

And yes, in many if not most US jurisdictions the OP scenario would be felony murder. There's a chance it could fit an intentional murder charge, perhaps, depending on the exact law. If the cause of the victim's death was the drugging, and she intended to kill him when she drugged him, I'm not entirely sure that the fact that she did not intend for that to be the means of killing him would matter. (And of course this assumes that there would be a way to reliably know what actually happened and what was in her mind, when.)

But, if I shoot someone with the intent to wound them enough that I can strangle them slowly, and I miss and kill them with the bullet, why wouldn't that be intentional murder?
Old 17 July 2017, 05:34 AM

Another point to consider: In both the OP scenario and erwin's shooting one, the only evidence that the murder that happened was not deliberate would be the testimony of the person who has committed at least one felony and is on trial for murder. Even if the law recognized a difference, convinving a jury of the change of heart would be well nigh impossible.
Old 17 July 2017, 02:50 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy101_again View Post
Technically it isn't a kidnapping since there wasn't any intent to extort money..
Technically, it is kidnapping, because the person was detained and carried away against his or her will.

Seaboe
Old 17 July 2017, 04:49 PM

Baseball

I suppose it depends upon the jurisdiction for legal definitions.

I know someone who was kidnapped by the common definition, but because no ransom was sought, the charge was "Forcible Confinement".

Now, this is a data point of one. And I am not aware of the legal wranglings around the situation (and no little of the actual situation). It may be that this was a charge that would stick, or this was an easy conviction etc.

On the other hand, it might be the legal terminology for the crime of kidnapping. If I had gone to law school, I might know.
Old 17 July 2017, 07:30 PM

Can you reveal the jurisdiction? There are multiple reasons I can think of that an apparent kidnapping might result in a conviction for something called forcible confinement. I'm kind of curious about which one(s) might apply. But I understand if you don't want to give specifics.
Old 17 July 2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
Technically, it is kidnapping, because the person was detained and carried away against his or her will.

Seaboe
From your link;
Quote:
Generally, kidnapping occurs when a person, without lawful authority, physically asports (i.e., moves) another person without that other person's consent, with the intent to use the abduction in connection with some other nefarious objective. Under the Model Penal Code (a set of exemplary criminal rules fashioned by the American Law Institute), kidnapping occurs when any person is unlawfully and non-consensually asported and held for certain purposes. These purposes include gaining a ransom or reward; facilitating the commission of a felony or a flight after the commission of a felony; terrorizing or inflicting bodily injury on the victim or a third person; and interfering with a governmental or political function (Model Penal Code 212.1).
The other qualifications are pretty much variants on ransom/reward in that they involve the kidnapper obtaining something other than just the person abducted.
Old 17 July 2017, 09:44 PM

One of the other qualifications in that link is:
Quote:
terrorizing or inflicting bodily injury on the victim or a third person.
That isn't obtaining anything (except maybe satisfaction), and pretty much fits what the OP had. It does not have to involve a variant on ransom/reward. Taking someone to a shack in the woods to keep them tied up and assault them would still be kidnapping.
Old 17 July 2017, 11:00 PM

Also in the link, "with the intent to use the abduction in connection with some other nefarious objective." Pretty sure "murder as vigilante justice" would be considered a nefarious objective.
Old 18 July 2017, 02:28 PM

Glasses

People, you can be kidnapped without ever leaving the room you're in. All it takes is someone with a gun (or a knife, or simply the will and ability to beat you to death) who won't let you leave. It happens. Google "kidnapping without leaving the room."

I have read cases (I will see if I can find one) where nothing was demanded; the victim was simply terrorized and prevented from leaving. No demands for money or anything else were made by the captor.

Seaboe
Old 18 July 2017, 02:58 PM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Can you reveal the jurisdiction?
Canada. My acquaintance was kidnapped in Canada.

I know each of the states has its own criminal code, and there is a federal one too. I can't speak to any of that.

In fact, I am already well out of my depth for Canada too. Assault, seen lots of it. Can articulate well about it. Not so for kidnapping.
Old 18 July 2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
People, you can be kidnapped without ever leaving the room you're in. All it takes is someone with a gun (or a knife, or simply the will and ability to beat you to death) who won't let you leave. It happens. Google "kidnapping without leaving the room."
That definitely depends on the jurisdiction. In some, asportation is a required element. Holding a person against their will where you found them is a different crime.
Old 18 July 2017, 03:50 PM

Glasses

I need to stay out of this thread. Sorry.

Yes, erwins, it does. The case I found was (I believe) in England.

Seaboe