snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Business Bytes

Old 09 December 2014, 01:36 PM

Default Study: left-handed people make less money than righties

"The paper, written by Joshua Goodman, an economist at Harvard's Kennedy School, is the first study to document the income gap between right-handed and left-handed people." Article here.
Research paper here. After reading the article and the paper, my chief response is that correlation does not imply causation. As a lefty, I'm not surprised that brain physiology plays a part in handedness. To me, this paper reads like, "2 + 2 = green" in terms of how the author connects the data points with his conclusions.
Old 09 December 2014, 01:42 PM

Not sure what you mean. The author is agnostic about the reason for the correlation:
Quote:
This paper documents the gaps between left- and right-handed individuals but
leaves for future work the question of whether such gaps are caused by left-handedness
or instead arise from other factors for which left-handedness is simply a proxy.
Old 09 December 2014, 08:07 PM

I think we covered the topic here previously, but I've often heard that bank tellers have a high proportion of lefties.
Old 09 December 2014, 08:49 PM

Tellers, okay maybe. But what about bank robbers?
Old 09 December 2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Tellers, okay maybe. But what about bank robbers?
I don't know about robbers, but the people who catch them seem to be disproportionately right handed. I worked with dozens of Law Enforcement people over the years, only two of them were lefties.
Old 09 December 2014, 10:34 PM

Is that because they don't issue left-handed pistols?
Old 10 December 2014, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Is that because they don't issue left-handed pistols?
I thought those were ambidextrous. One of the lefties wore his gun on the right - but he fire with a two handed grip. When he drew he just put pulled the gun with his right hand and put it in the left. He practiced shooting right-handed, too. I think most LE people practiced shooting with their off hands.
Old 10 December 2014, 01:06 AM

Baseball

In many aspects I'm left side dominant. I kick, play hockey, use the computer mouse, eat, shoot, bat, golf, run my survey equipment and use ATM keypads all left handed. The only thing I do right handed is throw and write. When I queried my Dad about this years and years ago, he said I throw right because all he had for us growing up was his old baseball glove which fit on my left hand. As for writing, I'd copy my Mom and Dad with the pencil and my teacher at school. This was just after the forced "write with the right" system my uncle (9 years older than me) experienced. So, there was no coerced hand changing.

As for shooting, my natural inclination for rifles is to shoot left handed, but for the military I eventually learned to shoot right handed. Two reasons:

- when I joined in '88, we were using the FN C1 rifle. It fired a 7.62mm bullet. As a semi-automatic, it would eject the casing out the right side. To be precise, to the right and to the rear. If you are left handed, it ejected the casing right into your forehead. Those things burned. So, I switched hands. Then we got new rifles and I shoot both sides with that one.

- When I was in Quebec as a very young officer, I joined our regimental biathlon team. The Anschutz rifle we used could only be fired right handed. I put close to 10 000 rounds down range with that, all right handed.

So, for now, I'm a better shot with my "wrong" arm than I am with my natural arm.
Old 10 December 2014, 01:38 PM

See, for me, I shoot long gun left handed because I am left eyed and it is much easier to get the proper position shooting left. But pistols I shoot right handed as my right hand is dominant for most sports. Only for Frisbee and writing am I left handed.

Funnily enough, I learned to initially throw left as both my parents are left-handed and all we had was gloves for the right hand. But after they noticed that I threw better with my right, they found a left glove for me.

And many modern pistols are ambidextrous, but not all departments may issue those. For example, a Glock (quite common for LE I understand) is ambidextrous in that there is no safety to be thumbed off but the magazine release is designed for right-handed use and would have to be modified or the user would have to learn an alternate technique.
Old 10 December 2014, 04:27 PM

I always had dexterity confusion, too. I write and eat right-handed, but use tools with either hand, preferring left. (I was shocked the first time I heard someone say they could only hammer a nail right-handed). I pick up a ball with my left hand, but I can't throw well with either hand.

I always wondered if my ambidexterity had anything to do with my ADD. It might sound neat to be able to use either hand, but it really a matter of "jack of all trades, master of none". I'd give anything to be single-handed and competent at something.

Old 10 December 2014, 04:38 PM

As others have noted, most firearms tend to be right handed in that the bolt on a rifle is usually on the right side; semiautomatics eject to the right; many but not all pistols have safties that are operated with the right thumb; etc.

However, there is an old story that Samual Colt and John Brown, developers of the famous Colt Peacemaker pistol were left handed. The reasoning is that the loading port on these revolvers is on the right side. Thus, a lefty can open the port, eject a spent cartridge and put a new one in without having to transfer the gun to his non-firing hand. Believe it or not.......
Old 10 December 2014, 07:33 PM

Australia

This has to be the oddest thought I've had this year, but I'm sure that after 53 years on this planet my left palm is still...well...ahem...virginal.

Is it why my willy tilts slightly to port, and my snail trail is a bit bald on the right hand side?

(I've said too much, carry on about guns.)
Old 10 December 2014, 08:19 PM

Well, after all this time, you wouldn't want to be cheating on your best date.
Old 11 December 2014, 02:10 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Chestnut View Post
I always had dexterity confusion, too.
IMO, it's not dexterity confusion, it's simply that handedness is a range, not a switch. There are people who are so right- or left-handed that they cannot do anything with the non-dominant hand, and there are those who are ambidextrous (or ambisinstral).

Unlike UEL, I mouse right-handed even though I'm left-handed for the most part. However, I cannot use a track pad with my right hand. I don't have the necessary fine motor control.

Oh, and talking about professions(?) with a bent for one hand or the other, ISTR that the number of left-handed presidents is statistically aberrant.

Seaboe
Old 11 December 2014, 05:51 PM

I can think of 3 presidents off hand that are or were left handed, Obama, Bush the first, Gerald Ford and I think maybe even Reagan although I am not sure about him. I think there are at least 1 or 2 others.

This article (http://americanhistory.about.com/od/...eft_handed.htm) confirms Reagan and adds Bill Clinton, Harry Truman and James Garfield.
Old 11 December 2014, 06:33 PM

So, since 1968, the only two presidents that were not left handed were Nixon and Dubya.

In two years, I am voting for whoever if left handed. If we get another Rightie, we're doomed.
Old 11 December 2014, 06:36 PM

I'm fairly ambidextrous as well, though I'd say I'm left handed if asked. I write left handed, and do most fine motor tasks that way. I mouse right handed, and use a touchpad that way, which I find very convenient because I can write and mouse at the same time. I grew up throwing, shooting, playing tennis, etc. lefty, but just noticed that when throwing a small ball straight up and catching it (to amuse babies), I've been favoring my right hand. I'm guessing it's from my serve in tennis, but not sure. I use scissors with either hand. And I can write poorly but legibly with my right hand. Oh, and I think I'm right eyed and right footed.

There are some other things that correlate with left handedness, IIRC, which might play a role in the earnings difference.