snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 08 November 2018, 03:27 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
I do generally support unions, but they are a special interest group, and their interests are not always in synch with public interests.
Thank you. This needs to be said, and IMO, people need to remember this when making decisions.

Seaboe
Old 08 November 2018, 04:37 PM

Rabbit

Well, my wife and I did our part to flip the House of Representatives.

Michigan's 8th Congressional District

There was quite a shift in the state as well.

Pink wave hits Michigan from gov's office to Congress to Legislature
Old 08 November 2018, 04:46 PM

My red district stayed that way, unfortunately; though the House race looked close enough for a little while halfway through the night for 538 to take notice.

NY State as a whole did better, though: we finally solidly flipped the Senate, giving us Democrats in both state legislative houses; which may get us state single-payer health care, at least.
Old 08 November 2018, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Turns out there were 8000 or so absentee ballots. Xochitl got over 6000 of them. She won!
Congratulations, RichardM.

My district went blue, and sent a woman to the house. We got a new district from the state supreme court a few months ago, and the new district is a LOT nicer, in that it is more compact. The old map split my county into like 4 districts, in order to spread out the Democrats voters.
Old 08 November 2018, 05:44 PM

Baseball

That reminds me, there were a few states that ordered maps to be redrawn. Now that the election is over, the redrawing can begin, and 2020 will look a lot different.

I know NC was one that delayed redrawing until after the election.
Old 08 November 2018, 08:09 PM

I was, in general, extremely happy with what occurred in Michigan. I'm in the 11th and my parents are in the 8th and both flipped from Red to Blue. Both districts had been gerrymandered to favor the Republicans years ago. My state senator flipped red to blue as well, although I was just thankful to see our current Senator go (term limits) because, I'm not joking, he is arguably a worse human being than Trump. (Patrick Colbeck, in case you're wondering.)

The only race I was disappointed in was our local school board seats. It's nonpartisan, and I highly suspect that a large number of people didn't know anything about the candidates, so rather than leaving it blank they just voted for the "whitest" sounding names. Those of us who are actually involved in the district and care about the outcome can't figure out any other reasonable explanation for who got elected.
Old 08 November 2018, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
What surprised me was that the southern suburban area we moved to 20 years ago, which has ALWAYS been firmly and solidly in Rupublican hands, kicked out one-term incumbant Jason Lewis, a former far-right radio talk show hack and elected Angie Craig, who narrowly lost to Lewis two years ago. It's the first time since I moved here that the US representative from this district has been a Democrat.
Certainly most of the chatter I was hearing before the election was that it was the suburban districts that were turning blue. They may align with the Republicans on many issues, but a lot of them are finding Trumpism to be just too much, particularly the racism and other extremely divisive rhetoric.
Old 08 November 2018, 11:50 PM

Looks like Florida's going to be recounting its governor, senator, and agricultural commissioner races. There are still votes being counted, which have already flipped our agricultural commissioner race from the election night results, although a recount is still required due to the narrow margin. If we can flip at least one of those races, I'll consider it a victory, although Republicans will insist on making the job hell for any Dem who wins.
Old 09 November 2018, 05:38 AM

Default Fla. Gov. Scott sues counties, accuses 'unethical liberals' of trying to steal electi

Fla. Gov. Scott sues counties, accuses 'unethical liberals' of trying to steal election

Quote:
Republican Florida Gov. Rick Scott on Thursday evening filed suit and asked for an investigation into ongoing ballot counts that he accused of being a partisan attempt by "unethical liberals" to steal the state's Senate election.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ccuses-n934286
Old 09 November 2018, 02:32 PM

Well, the last time a disputed election count in Florida got all the way to the Supremes, the Supremes told the state to stop counting.
Old 09 November 2018, 03:22 PM

Maybe, but coupled to the lawsuit filed in Arizona and the one filed by Kemp in Georgia, this all just sounds to me like the GOP desperately trying to hold on to power.

~Psihala
Old 09 November 2018, 03:29 PM

Judge Court to hear dispute over vote counting in Arizona Senate race

As the Arizona Senate vote count starts to tip into Democratic terrain, a judge Friday will hear a lawsuit by the GOP seeking to limit the tally -- or expand it in the state's conservative-leaning rural areas.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/arizona...er-vote-count/
Old 09 November 2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psihala View Post
Maybe, but coupled to the lawsuit filed in Arizona and the one filed by Kemp in Georgia, this all just sounds to me like the GOP desperately trying to hold on to power.
That's also true. I was just pointing out that it might, unfortunately, work.
Old 09 November 2018, 10:18 PM

Yup.

Rick Scott wins first election lawsuit

Quote:
Florida Gov. Rick Scott, the Republican candidate for Senate who currently leads Democratic opponent Sen. Bill Nelson by 15,000 votes, has won his first lawsuit against Palm Beach County Elections Supervisor Susan Bucher. As ballots in the gubernatorial and Senate races head to a recount, Scott sued Bucher Thursday night for refusing to allow official party and campaign representatives into the ballot counting area, and having staff members determine a voter's intent without review by the county canvassing board.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rick-sc...ction-lawsuit/
Old 09 November 2018, 10:51 PM

I thought that was SOP for Florida.

Or is that only allowed when Republicans do it?
Old 09 November 2018, 11:53 PM

Scott's awfully mad for someone who is still in the lead and is going to win regardless.

Republicans control everything and always get their way, yet they're always so angry. I don't get it.
Old 10 November 2018, 12:35 AM

Because they want everyone to acknowledge how how brilliant and awesome and wonderful they are and shower them with endless accolades.
Old 10 November 2018, 02:38 AM

Mouse

Itís not enough for the Right to have everything, if they canít have the tears of losers as well.

Hence why despite controlling all three branches of government and having enough wealth to buy the world ten times over, they have to go on and on about being the most persecuted people on Godís Green Earth. When it comes to suffering for the sins of humanity, they probably feel they have Jesus beat.

Your call if the whiny self-martyrdom is as irritating as the bigotry.
Old 10 November 2018, 07:53 AM

Default Newly elected Raquel TerŠn defiant as she faces a birther movement in Arizona

Raquel TerŠn, elected Tuesday to Arizona's legislature, vowed to fight an attempt to keep her from taking office through a challenge of her U.S. citizenship.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...vement-n934536
Old 10 November 2018, 01:41 PM

Whalephant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenYus234 View Post
All you need to know really.
Pima County hates McSally. She had to be shamed into doing a Town Hall meeting then left as soon as she got asked critical questions.