snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Soapbox Derby

Old 17 October 2015, 12:34 AM

Default Westboro Baptist Church Will Picket Outside Kim Davis’ Office

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendl...ake-christian/
So apparently the WBC will be picketing Kim Davis. I'll admit the strangeness of it all made me chuckle.
Old 17 October 2015, 12:42 AM

A bit late to the party, aren't they?

~Psihala
Old 17 October 2015, 01:35 AM

Mouse

Interesting but before you get too gleeful, the WBC has a history of threatening to protest but never actually showing up. So those of you looking to enjoy the sheer WTFery, I would advise you not to get your hopes up.
Old 17 October 2015, 03:18 AM

Icon05

Quote:
Interesting but before you get too gleeful, the WBC has a history of threatening to protest but never actually showing up.
Was that in response to my post? If so, I don't understand.

Besides, even if they don't show, I'd have thought they would have wanted to stage something like this while most of the media's attention was still on her. It's been a bit since her name has appeared on the news sites.

~Psihala
Old 19 October 2015, 11:01 PM

Icon13 Westboro Baptist Church protests Kim Davis

The Westboro Baptist Church, a Kansas group known for its caustic anti-gay rhetoric, took aim at Kim Davis on Monday, accusing the Kentucky county clerk of hypocrisy and adultery.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...avis/74220666/
Old 20 October 2015, 04:33 AM

Wow, where's the popcorn?
Old 20 October 2015, 04:44 AM

I'm just wondering if that's a sign the universe is going to implode in on itself...
Old 23 December 2015, 09:52 PM

Soapbox Ky. gov removes clerks' names from marriage licenses

In his first major policy action, Kentucky's new governor issued an executive order to shield religious county clerks such as Kim Davis from being identified on marriage licenses.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/p...iage/77826806/
Old 23 December 2015, 10:14 PM

I read the article but maybe it's my cold or something and I missed it but does this change anything with regard to issuing same sex marriage licenses?
Old 23 December 2015, 10:25 PM

I don't think so. As I read it, it just just affirms Kim Davis' tactic of refusing to put her name (or any clerks' name) on the licenses.

~Psihala
Old 24 December 2015, 01:15 AM

Seems like some saw this as a kind of compromise. The real question is whether it's legal and, if not, whether that would have any effect on the validity of the licenses so issued.
Old 13 January 2016, 08:48 PM

D'oh! Congressman Who Gave SOTU Ticket Says He Didn't Know It Was for Kim Davis

When news broke Monday night that Kentucky clerk Kim Davis would be attending the State of the Union, one question remained.

Who invited her?

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/congr...ry?id=36267664
Old 13 January 2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
“Our staff heard from the Family Research Council that Ms. Davis and her family hoped to attend the State of the Union address and so we offered a ticket,” Jordan told ABC News in a statement later on Tuesday.
This would seem to contradict the statement that they didn't know who the tickets was going to, no?

ETA:I think that any American should have the right to attend the SOTU address if they can get their hands on a ticket. That being said, what the heck was the motivation here?
Old 13 January 2016, 11:18 PM

". . . as a counterweight to the President's message," according to one of her lawyers (scroll to bottom for quote).
Old 14 January 2016, 12:42 AM

Ah. In that case, NFBSK them.

Ahem.

Ms. Davis, you're not a martyr to your cause - you're a mean-spirited, hypocritical doofus whose 15 minutes should really be up by now.
Old 07 November 2018, 11:05 AM

Default Kim Davis, clerk who refused to issue gay marriage licenses, voted out of office

Kim Davis, the Kentucky clerk who made national headlines in 2015 when she was jailed after refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses, lost her bid for reelection to Democrat Elwood Caudill Jr. In the Democratic primary last May, Caudill defeated David Ermold, who had sued Davis after she refused to issue a marriage license to him and David Moore.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/kentuck...ay-2018-11-06/
Old 07 November 2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicgeek View Post
Ahem.

Ms. Davis, you're not a martyr to your cause - you're a mean-spirited, hypocritical doofus whose 15 minutes should really be up by now.
Hopefully, her 15 minutes are up. The pessimist in me says she'll be a PCM icon for quite a while still.
Old 07 November 2018, 03:13 PM

Yeah, the fact that she's still in the news two years after I made that post is telling, isn't it? Let's hope that we can see a continued push toward common human decency in our political landscape in the next few years.
Old 07 November 2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Winston O'Boogie View Post
Hopefully, her 15 minutes are up. The pessimist in me says she'll be a PCM icon for quite a while still.
How does one distinguish a Pseudo Christian Moron from and Actual Christian Moron? I reject that there is any such distinction and would argue that it all comes down to "our" moron vs. "their" moron, kind of like orthodoxy vs. heresy.
Old 07 November 2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
How does one distinguish a Pseudo Christian Moron from and Actual Christian Moron? I reject that there is any such distinction and would argue that it all comes down to "our" moron vs. "their" moron, kind of like orthodoxy vs. heresy.
There's enough internal contradiction in the bible that people can (and do) craft their own particular versions of orthodoxy, but to me (although I'm not the one who used the term in this instance), it comes down to individuals who proclaim their Christianity as a motivation for their stances/actions, while simultaneously directly contradicting the teachings of Jesus as found in the New Testament.

Last week, a friend had posted the following quotation from Jesuit priest James Martin:
Quote:
What Jesus never said: "Feed the hungry only if they have papers." "Clothe the naked only if they're from your country." "Welcome the stranger only if there's zero risk." "Help the poor only if it's convenient." "Love your neighbor only if they look like you."
A self-proclaimed Christian commented: "Jesus did not say let people take advantage of you or to put your people at risk" (lack of punctuation in the original comment)

I responded with: "Jesus begs to differ. Luke 6:28-30: 'Bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from anyone who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. Give to everyone who begs from you; and if anyone takes away your goods, do not ask for them again.'"

The commenter responded with a small diatribe beginning with, "Well that may work for you..."

Well, no, it's actually pretty NFBSKing difficult. But it is what Jesus said, at least according to the scriptures that are the foundational teachings of your self-professed religion. Other people offered further scriptural quotations, only to be told similarly, "It just doesn't always work that way"

Which is fine. Then don't comment (out of nowhere) on someone's thread by stating, incorrectly, what "Jesus did not say."

If there is a conflict between the way one lives their life and the way one's chosen faith instructs that living, maybe an appropriate response is either to:

A) Rethink personal adherence to one's faith, if the teachings aren't actually correct or relevant to one's life, or
B) Admit that the tenets of one's chosen faith are difficult to live out, and maybe aren't the best yardstick when making public policy for everyone.

It's option B that I think justifies the "PCM" designation in many cases - if someone cites their Christian faith as the motivating factor behind their political lives, then it's fair game to call them out any direct inconsistencies between those stances and the actual teachings of Jesus as laid out in the bible.

Please note that I'm not debating the accuracy/validity of the bible, or the merits of name-calling - just quibbling with the idea that there is no distinction between an irritating person of faith and an irritating person who appears to be ignorant of the faith they publicly espouse. We call out hypocrisy and internal inconsistencies in various facets of life; I don't think that religion should be exempted from that.