snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Fauxtography

Old 27 May 2010, 04:57 PM

Default Fake anti-Victoria's Secret lingerie ad?

Some people are saying it's Lane Bryant putting it out but others aren't so sure. It certainly doesn't look all that professional.

Anyway, doesn't seem all that funny or original. And just seems stupid. I mean, bigger people wouldn't like it if someone spoofed a Lane Bryant ad by putting cows in bras.

Old 27 May 2010, 05:11 PM

Hello Kitty

Hating on skinny people is just as bad as hating on fat people. We can critique the unrealistic body standards in Victoria's Secret ads without insulting the models themselves, or the women who are small enough to wear VS lingerie.

(Incidentally, I bought some underpants there the other day because they were recommended to me here to avoid some problems with leg-digging I'd been having. The underpants work great, but I'm wearing their size large. It is completely ridiculous that their size large is so small.)
Old 27 May 2010, 05:13 PM

It is ridiculous. I'm small--like I usually wear a 0, or at most, a 4 at some places. I'm the only person I know for whom an XS is often too big (yeah, XXS!). But I wear a medium at Victoria's Secret. I mean, I could wear the small but it's fairly tight. It's kind of insane.
Old 27 May 2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee Evilpixie View Post
Hating on skinny people is just as bad as hating on fat people. We can critique the unrealistic body standards in Victoria's Secret ads without insulting the models themselves, or the women who are small enough to wear VS lingerie.
Indeed. I doubt the models or customers were consulted when VS determined their sizing. This average-sized woman would prefer they stay within the more recognized range, so I know what the NFBSK to buy!
Old 27 May 2010, 05:38 PM

My favorite line from the "ad" was the reference to Fox and ABC. My favorite comment was about the model: "I'd bone her."
Old 27 May 2010, 06:39 PM

Shouldn't the skeleton have two bags of silicone on the ribcage? I mean, if we are going to use the stereotype...
Old 28 May 2010, 09:23 PM

Along with the silicone, shouldn't some of her ribs be missing as well?
Old 28 May 2010, 09:58 PM

D'oh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Anyway, doesn't seem all that funny or original. And just seems stupid. I mean, bigger people wouldn't like it if someone spoofed a Lane Bryant ad by putting cows in bras.
Quote:

I don't think the ad was aimed at the models or "skinny people". I think they are taking a jab at the Victorias Secret company and how they catalog women.

I went in there one time to buy my sons girlfriend a gift certificate. I'm a heavy woman. You should have seen the looks I got. Not from other customers but from the employees.
Old 28 May 2010, 10:07 PM

Lane Bryant says they "did not produce nor endorse" this video.
http://insidecurve.lanebryant.com/bu...-vs-ad-parody/

(But they did post it.)
Old 28 May 2010, 10:09 PM

Hello Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Redhead View Post
I don't think the ad was aimed at the models or "skinny people". I think they are taking a jab at the Victorias Secret company and how they catalog women.
They replaced a model with a skeleton. I don't really see how that's not comparing VS models with skeletons.

Quote:
I went in there one time to buy my sons girlfriend a gift certificate. I'm a heavy woman. You should have seen the looks I got. Not from other customers but from the employees.
Yeah, that kind of thing is bullshit. It's totally ridiculous that their sizes are so limited, but we can point out how stupid and damaging that is without comparing their models to skeletons.
Old 31 May 2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
They replaced a model with a skeleton. I don't really see how that's not comparing VS models with skeletons.
Reading some of the comments here about their ridiculous sizing, I suppose the joke could be that to Victoria's Secret even their skinny models aren't quite 'perfect' enough so they had to get this 'new' look in stock - enter America's Next Top Anatomy Model.
Old 01 June 2010, 06:30 PM

I took the (tasteless, juvenile, unfunny) ad parody to be a stab at ABC's and Fox's refusal to air the Lane Bryant ad showing a plus-size woman in the same state of undress as most models in Victoria's Secret commericials. I think it was the producers' attempt at saying, "Cleavage is bad? OK, how about no cleavage anywhere, of any kind? How about no skin? Happy now?" (stick out tongue)

I am in Lane Bryant's target market, btw, but not a current customer. I'm limited to Wal-Mart-priced fashion at present.
Old 01 June 2010, 06:53 PM

I can't tell if Lane Bryant actually made it, though. The production values seem way too low for them, too...
Old 01 April 2011, 10:06 AM
rmorrison100

I agree with you Aimee. I think just respect the ad and don't do something insulting even if you don't like it.
Old 03 April 2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Redhead View Post
YMMV I guess, my fiancee likes their products and as such we often stop there when we are out and about near the mall. I've seen many large women in there (I am incapable of judging size from looks and honestly even if I were size of women's clothing seems to have no real meaning) and they were all treated promptly and with the same service and respect we always get. Don't misunderstand, I'm not calling you a liar, just pointing out the anecdote problem, in addition if people go in there anticipating bad service due to their weight they may see things that aren't there, or at least over exaggerate things that are (again not saying that you do, but it is something people tend to do).

-MB
Old 03 April 2011, 04:20 PM

I find VS catalogues kind of weird. It looks like they have taken their models and stretched their torsos by computer imagery. Either that or they've made them entirely thinner by the same sort of stretching process.
Their proportions are all wrong. They just look odd. I found it very hard to concentrate on the bras, to be honest. I just kept looking at the picture at a whole and thinking that something was off.
If course, there's no VS here anyway...
Old 03 April 2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
It's a parody of a VS ad and a satire on the prevailing attitudes at Fox and ABC, not a commentary on skinny women everywhere.
Old 03 April 2011, 04:55 PM

Hello Kitty

But if one is as thin as a Victora's Secret model, how exactly does an ad like this say anything other than "skinny women might as well be skeletons"? Someone on this board once made the comment "who wants an ironing board?" Yeah, sure, maybe he didn't mean me, but that's a pretty insulting thing to say.
Old 03 April 2011, 05:08 PM

I am with Aimee. It may be a parody and satire, but that does not prevent it from also being a slam on VS models, and by extension women who are able to shop at VS.

It is also a kind of body-hate zen: decry unrealistic images that make women feel bad about themselves by using unrealistic images that make women feel bad about themselves. Fight the socially implied insult to average-to-heavier women by insulting thin women.
Old 04 April 2011, 08:34 AM

I'm a violin player and I'm also very very angry at the film Spinal Tap for they way they portray musicians as being stupid. RARRR why they gotta be hating on people like me??? I practiced really hard to be good at the violin, screw those guys for calling me stupid!

Also I'm really angry at the Monty Python sketch about the Ministry of Silly Walks because I occasionally transport myself via the use of my legs. RARR why didn't Monty Python think about how I'd feel when they made that sketch?!? How inconsiderate of them!!!