snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 27 February 2009, 09:09 PM

Both of my children were born with blue eyes. My daughter's turned green when she was around 18 months, and so far my son's have stayed blue. He's only 14 months though so we'll see. He seems to be following in her footsteps with hair color but he's still got so little hair that it's hard to tell.
Old 03 March 2009, 12:00 AM

Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
In my case - born blue-eyed, stayed blue-eyed. The same with both my sisters. Only mum has brown eyes.

I remember the "brown eyes" inheritance (i.e. the simple monogenic dominant/recessive version) being used as plot device in a Jonathon Creek story. I can't remember if Creek said it was very unlikely for blue-eyed parents to have a brown-eyed baby, or if he said it wasn't possible (the crux being the brown-eyed person was adopted and her real parents were very, very important in society).
Yes, it's impossible. However at least six genes are responsible for eye color, and their color depends on the amount of dominant ones you receive. Brown eyes require four dominant genes, and the most blue eyes can have is one. (the pattern goes something like this: six dominant genes mean dark brown/black eyes, five brown, four light brown, three hazel, two green, one blue or gray and zero light blue) The different shades depend on the loci of the dominant ones. Blue eyes literally lack pigment.

I was born with blue eyes and they stayed blue. So did my sister, obviously. My mother has green eyes (as do both her sisters) and her mother has blue. I have never seen a color picture of my maternal grandfather, but due to this I suspect his eyes were some shade of brown. My father's eyes are a dark blue.

Sister "which leaves you with little options" Ray
Old 03 March 2009, 01:25 AM

My husband and his sister both have brown eyes. Theor mother has blue eyes, and their father's eyes were light colored as well. I remember this because it was a long-standing joke in the family- where'd the kids get those eyes? MIL's sister had brown eyes, though, and both hubby and his sister resemble FIL way too strongly for it to be a case of them being the milkman's kids.
Old 04 March 2009, 06:21 AM

I'm black and if my parents are to be believe, my two siblings and I all had blue eyes when we were born. My Chinese/mixed black nephew also had blue eyes.

KaiTheInvader, I didn't know black people could have blue eyes. You learn something new every day. Thanks for sharing that!
Old 05 March 2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Ray View Post
Yes, it's impossible. However at least six genes are responsible for eye color, and their color depends on the amount of dominant ones you receive. Brown eyes require four dominant genes, and the most blue eyes can have is one. (the pattern goes something like this: six dominant genes mean dark brown/black eyes, five brown, four light brown, three hazel, two green, one blue or gray and zero light blue) The different shades depend on the loci of the dominant ones. Blue eyes literally lack pigment.
Actually, it's possible. Uncommon, but it's possible.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...derquest_x.htm

That said, I hope my hypothetical kids have blue eyes. :P I have brown eyes, my fiance has that very, very pale blue color that most Scandinavians have. My dad and mom have brown eyes, but her mom's dad's were blue so there's a chance I have some blue-eye genes in there somewhere.
Old 05 March 2009, 04:26 PM

I was in a supermarket one day, and noticed a little Maori girl of about 18 months-two years old [I'm lousy at telling kids ages]. She had brown curly hair, dark olive skin, and ice-blue eyes.

Another time I noticed a little girl in the library. She was a goldy-blonde, but she had olive skin, dark eyes, and clearly had some Asian in her. She could well be redhead in a few years.

It was quite a startling combination.
Old 07 March 2009, 09:14 PM

My brother was born with blue-ish eyes, but they turned to a dark brown within a few months.
Old 07 March 2009, 10:29 PM

I was born with brown eyes, and always have had brown eyes... they were actually darker when I was younger, then they lightened a bit.
Old 12 March 2009, 05:54 AM

Icon220

My siblings and I were all born with blue eyes. However, mine decided to switch between blue and green until I was in 5th grade.

We're an odd bunch really, I guess. My mother and sister are dishwater blond, and my (late) father and brother had very dark hair. I ended up red-headed.
Old 12 March 2009, 12:38 PM

I was born with blue eyes, and when I was about six weeks old, my mom said they started to get brown, then they went back to blue.

I was a fair skinned, blue-eyed redhead for awhile there. If you look at my kindergarten picture, my hair is a sort of coppery color, then as I get older, it gets darker until 7th grade when it's finally black.

My mom has dark brown eyes and dark brown (mistaken for black) hair, and an olive skin tone. My dad has light brown eyes, black hair, and fair skin. So my blue-eyed redheaded self didn't match, and of course we had the one bitchy neighbor (doesn't everybody) who felt the need to comment on it. My dad's response was, "Yeah, I can't get over how much she looks like my sister." (My Aunt M, who is a blue-eyed redhead.) Shut up the neighbor lady right quick.

Magdalene
Old 12 March 2009, 09:39 PM

Goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalene View Post

I was a fair skinned, blue-eyed redhead for awhile there. If you look at my kindergarten picture, my hair is a sort of coppery color, then as I get older, it gets darker until 7th grade when it's finally black.

My mom has dark brown eyes and dark brown (mistaken for black) hair, and an olive skin tone. My dad has light brown eyes, black hair, and fair skin. So my blue-eyed redheaded self didn't match, and of course we had the one bitchy neighbor (doesn't everybody) who felt the need to comment on it. My dad's response was, "Yeah, I can't get over how much she looks like my sister." (My Aunt M, who is a blue-eyed redhead.) Shut up the neighbor lady right quick.

Magdalene
Of course, both of those are recessive traits, so it's possible for either to pop up with no recent family history.

Sister "but people like that don't ever get genetics" Ray
Old 13 March 2009, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullMetal View Post
well my son was born with blue eyes, but my wife has blue eyes. I was born with Purple Eyes. they settled into brown after a few years.
I remember my younger sister was born w/ purple eyes that turned brown. I have blue. It would be kind of cool if purple was a lifelong color - or is it? I've heard Elizabeth Taylor had violet eyes, but they seemed deep blue to me.