snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Old Wives' Tales

Old 08 October 2007, 10:11 PM

Ambulance A shrill whistle will hurt an obscene caller

Is there any truth in the old idea that blowing a shrill whistle will hurt an obscene caller through the telephone. I read it again tonight in a novel, but I thought that modern phones had some sort of system that limited the pitch that can be heard.
Old 08 October 2007, 10:14 PM

I don't think it's so much as hurting their ears as just making an annoying sound as a deterrent. A dial-up modem or fax machine would be just as annoying as a whistle - at least for me.
Old 08 October 2007, 10:21 PM
Doug4.7

Icon09

When my wife & her sister were getting calls from some idiot, the only thing that stopped them was me coming over and answering the phone in the most "tough" voice I could come up with. He hung up right away and they never heard from him again.

Funny side note, this was well before we were married, so I was still just a boyfriend. The guy would call late at night, so I slept on the couch. Wouldn't you know it, but my Mom called my apartment and my roommate said I was sleeping over at my (then) girlfriend's house. So she called my GF's house to talk to me.

I never told her there was no "monkey business" going on that night.
Old 09 October 2007, 12:10 AM
Bee

Sorry to further the hijack, but side note to Doug: Lately I've been reminiscing with Mom and telling her about all those stories where I really *wasn't* doing whatever they thought I was doing. It's been amusing. I've also been asking about some of those parental desicions that seemed unfair at the time (and still do). They find this amusing because the events I remember are ones that barely register in Mom & Dad's memories, but they have other times they thought they made questionable parenting decisions that I don't even remember. It's entertaining and makes me feel a lot more relaxed about being a parent one day.

Bee
Old 09 October 2007, 12:21 AM

I would think that an obscene caller wouldn't be affected by a whistle (except a wolf whistle) any more than any other. That being said, if I heard a shrill whistle on the phone, I would get pissed at the other person and want to do much worse.

* disclaimer. Diddy does not make obscene phone calls unless the other person (female) want's one and is willing to pay for long distance...
Old 11 October 2007, 06:47 PM

Blowing a loud musical instrument like a tuba or some other kind of horn in to the phone might work. It might take a time or two of repeating this but the creep might get the hint.
Old 11 October 2007, 06:50 PM

Sounding my rape alarm down the phone seemed to prevent further repeat calls at home. At work I got a series of obscene calls (direct dial from an outside line to my extension). Answering my phone in a butch voice or getting a male colleague to answer all outside calls stopped it, though other colleagues who called into work from private lines wondered why I was speaking in a deep voice.

All my calls, unless I'm expecting a call, are now intercepted by an answerphone that I use for call screening.
Old 12 October 2007, 02:51 AM

In my past experience with prank callers, a whistle did jack squat.
Old 12 October 2007, 03:03 AM

An air horn will may not completely stop the caller, but it will sure piss them off.

-D.
Old 12 October 2007, 09:27 AM

When I worked as a teleresearcher very briefly between proper jobs, someone had a whistle blown loudly at them by the person they called. They were sat on the otther side of the room to me, and I could hear the whistle from where I was sat, and yes, they said it hurt, and it took a few minutes for their hearing to come back to normal.

We were using headsets rather than a normal phone handset though, I guess that probably made it worse, as with a normal phone you could pull it away from your ear much more quickly.

Scout.
Old 15 October 2007, 05:08 PM

I had good luck using my basketball referree whistle on the obscene phone callers, myself....

Magdalene
Old 15 October 2007, 05:13 PM

I believe the most up to date advice is just to say nothing, place the phone down for a few minutes, then hang up.

The obscene caller wants to rattle you, to un-nerve you and get a reaction. That's what they get off on. Even the most negative reaction such as blowing a whistle or an airhorn down the phone will give the caller what he wants - that he's got to you.

Do nothing, say nothing, the caller gets nothing, and won't bother again.

Just my tuppence - well me and the malicous call section in the front of the BT phonebook.
Old 15 October 2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddylizard View Post
Do nothing, say nothing, the caller gets nothing, and won't bother again.
I wish! I got several calls daily at work in spite of hanging up. Our best guess was that the caller worked at another site and got his kicks from irritating me. A female colleague at another branch got the same thing. It's only when we got males to answer the phone every time it was an outside call that it stopped.