snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Sightings

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23 May 2008, 11:33 AM
DobbinDodger
 
Posts: n/a
Default UK television falls for the infamous canyon jump pic

Unbelievably, two years later, GMTV here in the UK ran an item this morning on this chap;

http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/canyonleap.asp

As a good lurky snopester, I sent them the link via their contact form. Quality journalism at its best there!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23 May 2008, 11:42 AM
izanami's Avatar
izanami izanami is offline
 
Join Date: 15 June 2005
Location: Yorkshire, England
Posts: 65
Default

I am glad someone mentioned that, I couldn't believe it when I saw it on GMTV news this morning!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23 May 2008, 11:43 AM
Friends of Alfred's Avatar
Friends of Alfred Friends of Alfred is offline
 
Join Date: 11 November 2004
Location: Birmingham, UK
Posts: 4,068
Default

Metro ran with it as well - made me smile on the train this morning. I wondered how long it would take to get to this board
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23 May 2008, 12:13 PM
Tarquin Farquart's Avatar
Tarquin Farquart Tarquin Farquart is offline
 
Join Date: 20 November 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 16,354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friends of Alfred View Post
Metro ran with it as well - made me smile on the train this morning. I wondered how long it would take to get to this board
Metro isn't exactly known for its quality journalism.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23 May 2008, 12:17 PM
llewtrah's Avatar
llewtrah llewtrah is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2001
Location: Chelmsford, UK
Posts: 16,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobbinDodger View Post
Unbelievably, two years later, GMTV here in the UK ran an item this morning on this chap;

http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/canyonleap.asp

As a good lurky snopester, I sent them the link via their contact form. Quality journalism at its best there!
Next thing you know, they'll be featuring cabbits.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23 May 2008, 06:05 PM
marc137
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Next thing you know, they'll be featuring a fox with manges
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23 May 2008, 06:49 PM
E. Q. Taft's Avatar
E. Q. Taft E. Q. Taft is offline
 
Join Date: 30 July 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,236
Icon101

They probably got it from the Telegraph. (The newspaper, not the device.)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23 May 2008, 07:02 PM
Richard W's Avatar
Richard W Richard W is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: High Wycombe, UK
Posts: 26,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
Metro isn't exactly known for its quality journalism.
It's in The Guardian too, though... Mind you, The Guardian does show a picture from a different angle that shows the ledge that "might have arrested a fall".

The caption says the pictures were "released for the first time", so I wonder if Mr. van der Vorst only just got round to flogging them in the UK?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23 May 2008, 07:18 PM
Andrew of Ware's Avatar
Andrew of Ware Andrew of Ware is offline
 
Join Date: 22 April 2003
Location: Ware, Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 8,017
Default

Strange. The on-line [I]Telegraph [I]article mentions the fact that he would only have fallen a few feet and then goes on to tell the story debunked by snopes. The printed version of the story is clearer. It shows the three photos of the man leaping and a smaller one of the connecting ledge. The short article tells the debunked story in brief and then mentions the ledge.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23 May 2008, 07:32 PM
Tarquin Farquart's Avatar
Tarquin Farquart Tarquin Farquart is offline
 
Join Date: 20 November 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 16,354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
It's in The Guardian too, though... Mind you, The Guardian does show a picture from a different angle that shows the ledge that "might have arrested a fall".
I think the Guardian just about gets away with it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 23 May 2008, 08:55 PM
Richard W's Avatar
Richard W Richard W is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: High Wycombe, UK
Posts: 26,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarquin Farquart View Post
They also have a blog article and comment thread entitled "That Grand Canyon leap: have we been had?"; somebody in the comments has linked to the snopes article.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 23 May 2008, 08:58 PM
llewtrah's Avatar
llewtrah llewtrah is offline
 
Join Date: 13 December 2001
Location: Chelmsford, UK
Posts: 16,363
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Q. Taft View Post
They probably got it from the Telegraph. (The newspaper, not the device.)
More likely from the device - they're that slow on the uptake!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 23 May 2008, 08:59 PM
Tarquin Farquart's Avatar
Tarquin Farquart Tarquin Farquart is offline
 
Join Date: 20 November 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 16,354
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewtrah View Post
More likely from the device - they're that slow on the uptake!
GMTV or the Torygraph?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 23 May 2008, 11:54 PM
DobbinDodger
 
Posts: n/a
Default

If I get a reply from GMTV (ha) I'll fill you in.

I'm also waiting for approval for my registration on their forums

It must be a slow news weekend is all I can think. The internet is a boon to the lazy journo, but also a trap for the unwary hack.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 24 May 2008, 01:27 AM
Richard W's Avatar
Richard W Richard W is offline
 
Join Date: 19 February 2000
Location: High Wycombe, UK
Posts: 26,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DobbinDodger View Post
It must be a slow news weekend is all I can think. The internet is a boon to the lazy journo, but also a trap for the unwary hack.
Given everybody suddenly used the story at once, I think the original photographer may have just decided to try to sell his photos in the UK. There must have been some event that made all the papers and some TV stations pick it up, rather than a random piece of filler found on the web. And they are interesting photos, and it's not really "false" either.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 27 May 2008, 01:16 PM
Don Enrico's Avatar
Don Enrico Don Enrico is offline
 
Join Date: 05 October 2004
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 7,633
Default Grand Canyon Leap on German Media Watchblog

The German media watchblog www.bildblog.de links to the relevant snopes.com page in this article.

Background: In this article of 05/26/08, the online version of infamous German tabloid BILD claims to have "investigated" and "discovered" that the pictures that "fooled the world" are fake. bildblog.de exposes that this discovery was made by others (like snopes.com) already in 2007.

bildblog.de is a much read media watchblog, so don't be surprised about a rise in pageviews and/or mails from Germany, snopes!

Don Enrico
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02 June 2008, 01:08 AM
DobbinDodger
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
Given everybody suddenly used the story at once, I think the original photographer may have just decided to try to sell his photos in the UK. There must have been some event that made all the papers and some TV stations pick it up, rather than a random piece of filler found on the web. And they are interesting photos, and it's not really "false" either.
It certainly is false, without the context of the last pic in the sequence.

Did you see the section on GMTV? They presented it exactly as the original email forward did - as an amazing feat of courage with huge risk of death from a very long drop. Had they shown them all, I would agree with you, but then it's not as sensational a story, so they may not even have run with it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.