snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 18 June 2016, 09:52 AM

erwins, all of that makes a lot of sense to me.

I do wonder to what extent the low number of attacks in Florida has to do with many people knowing not to let small children splash around in the shallow edges of bodies of water; something which IME is commonly done in areas where alligators etc. are not generally part of the environment.
Old 18 June 2016, 12:07 PM

If you make a search for images of aerial views of sharks near people and/or beaches, you'd wonder why there are not a LOT more shark bite episodes. Even so, most shark bites are not attacks, but reactions when a swimmer steps on them basking in the shallows. Neither alligators nor sharks generally are prone to attack humans.
Old 18 June 2016, 01:42 PM

Goldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Turtle Named Mack View Post
Even so, most shark bites are not attacks, but reactions when a swimmer steps on them basking in the shallows.
I'm wondering where you learned that. Every source I've ever read says that shallow water attacks are only common because there are so many more people in shallow waters and the reason for the bites are the same as in the deep: sharks mistake the person for prey. I've never heard of sharks basking. (Basking sharks are a name of a fish but they aren't biters.) Almost all sharks in shallow waters are swimming around to find prey - not basking or waiting to be stepped on. Deep water attacks are way more common on a person-in-the-water basis and are usually on people doing surface activities, such as surfing, again usually curiously taking a bite or mistaking for prey.
Quote:
Neither alligators nor sharks generally are prone to attack humans.
This is true.
Old 18 June 2016, 02:56 PM

I agree that what ATNM said about sharks isn't the case, but it is not too far off for alligators. The information from Florida Fish and Wildlife was that humans, even small ones, are too big for alligators to generally consider us as prey. Alligators generally react to humans by moving away as they approach. They think that something like half of all bites happen when a swimmer or wader accidentally contacts an alligator that was hanging out underwater or swimming by. So they are thought to be defensive or surprise reactions to essentially being (unintentionally) hit or kicked or stepped on.

Thorny Locust, I don't think that small children are restricted in that way in Florida any more than they would be anywhere else as a general rule. Alligators are not usually very active during the day, and avoid humans. I think those are much more the reasons that small children playing in shallow water are not attacked. Now, if alligators are actually present and parents know that, then of course the situation is different.
Old 20 June 2016, 01:45 PM

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lane-gra...re-boys-death/

Quote:
The family was staying at Disney World's Coronado Springs Resort, which is three-and-a-half miles from the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa, where two year-old Lane was killed.

But a year earlier, Hiden says he warned a hotel manager, and even showed her a photo he took of one of the gators.

"And the response, I couldn't believe it," Hiden said. "It was, 'Those are resident pets, and we've known about them for years. And they're harmless, they're not going to attack anybody."
If that's true, an attitude at Disney that the alligators were "resident pets" may have increased the chances of attack. Whether that was a common attitude, or was one manager trying to calm down an upset customer, I don't know. I can easily see how, if alligators were indeed commonly present but no one had ever been hurt before, people might start to assume that it just plain wasn't going to happen.
Old 20 June 2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorny locust View Post
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lane-gra...re-boys-death/

If that's true, an attitude at Disney that the alligators were "resident pets" may have increased the chances of attack. Whether that was a common attitude, or was one manager trying to calm down an upset customer, I don't know. I can easily see how, if alligators were indeed commonly present but no one had ever been hurt before, people might start to assume that it just plain wasn't going to happen.
I very much doubt that is true. It contradicts what the county sheriff and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission say about how Disney handles alligators, and it would be extremely inconsistent with my perception and understanding of how much Disney tries to control all aspects of what happens on their property.

Cites: http://m.wesh.com/news/disney-wildli...s-say/40075110

http://m.wesh.com/news/so-child-drag...t-spa/40058064

Disney has special permits from FWC allowing them to deal with alligators themselves, without seeking a permit from FWC each time, and they have full time staff that deal with them. I actually am a little concerned by just how much authority they have, what the oversight is and how many alligators are being killed (rather than relocated) just for being in that lagoon. I have zero concern that Disney is taking a laissez-faire attitude toward alligators on their property. If Disney decided that guests' experiences would be enhanced by seeing alligators, they would build some animatronic ones in the perfect spot for it. They would not let wild gators roam around their property and call them pets.

Last edited by erwins; 20 June 2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old 24 June 2016, 01:00 PM

Alligator

Saw on the news last evening that the beach has been reopened and yes, there are lots of warning signs around it now. IIRC the beach will be closed at night.
Old 08 August 2016, 07:51 PM

Alligator Disney builds stone wall at lake where alligator killed boy

Workers are building a stone wall around a Walt Disney World lake where an alligator killed a toddler earlier this summer.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/disney-b...y-lane-graves/
Old 09 August 2016, 03:33 PM

Alligator

Well I'm sure The Donald is happy that someone's building a wall!