snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 22 October 2014, 11:09 PM

Deer Rare albino deer bagged by 11-year-old

An 11-year-old Michigan hunter last week killed a rare albino deer while on a hunting trip with his father. This week, the story is generating a wide range of emotional feedback on Facebook. Gavinís father, Mick Dingman, told WZZM 13 that he and his son had spotted the white deer several times in recent the years, and that other hunters had talked about trying to bag the animal. An admittedly nervous Gavin used a crossbow from 30 to harvest the 12-point trophy buck, and the news quickly spread in hunting circles.

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/outpo...d-11-year-old/
Old 23 October 2014, 12:00 PM

Yes, by all means, kill the rare animal for bragging rights.
Old 23 October 2014, 12:02 PM

Isn't albinism - in wild animals, at least - a generally harmful mutation (barring adaptations to Arctic/snowbound conditions)? If so, good job helping to clean up the deer gene pool, kid.
Old 23 October 2014, 12:09 PM

Based on the information in the article, this was done less out of an altruistic desire to promote deer health than to get the white deer. Then again, I may be biased, as I object to hunting just to kill stuff, rather than hunting for food. YMMV.
Old 23 October 2014, 12:20 PM

There's no evidence that it wasn't eaten.
Old 23 October 2014, 12:23 PM

Roll eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crius of CoH View Post
If so, good job helping to clean up the deer gene pool, kid.
Right... Killing one deer with a gene combination that has likely reoccurred, for whatever reason, for millions of years is somehow going to improve the deer gene pool - even though, if it's really supposed to be so harmful, there wouldn't be any reason to kill it at all.
Old 23 October 2014, 01:43 PM

I would think the hunter would have been just as glad getting any legal deer; the opportunity for the white buck presented itself and he took it.

Ganz, as far as I am aware, besides the eye problems of albinism, the main drawback for the animal is that a white version does not blend into the woods very well and therefore is more vulnerable to predators. So the harm is not relative to health in the absence of predators, but a vulnerability to predation. Of course, in areas with longer snow seasons the white coat could be more useful than harmful. "Improving" the gene pool is a very nebulous concept, as what is useful in the on-going and ever-shifting conditions can easily change. I think Crius is wrong in saying the gene pool is being cleaned up, in that variation is useful in maintaining a healthy gene pool. However, there is nothing worng with the hunter making the kill, as deer have greatly overpopulated in most of the eastern US (the whole US?), and Michigan, I know from numerous articles, has a very large and stable deer population. Lacking predation from wolves and other predators, the deer would suffer if the population were not controlled. The health of the species would probably be better overall with natural non-human predators, but that is not an option right now.

I appreciated this part:
Quote:
The boy’s description of his big moment: “My dad was just like, ‘Take a deep breath. Are you sure you can take the shot? If you’re not 100 percent, we don’t want to injure it.’ ”
The boy's father is teaching his son well to be a responsible and humane hunter, making sure he can make a clean kill rather than take a chance on merely injuring the animal and causing it to suffer.
Old 23 October 2014, 03:28 PM

I can only speak from personal experience, but most of the folks in my neck of the woods are more than happy to eat deer. I had some last night, in fact. I've not heard anyone killing deer "just for fun' (I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I've not heard of it).

I got my lesson a long time ago when I was 10 or so... Me and friend, back in northern Quebec, went frog killing with our pellet guns... Our dads were none too happy about it, so, guess what we had for dinner that night: that's right, frog legs. Sure taught me a lesson about "Don't kill it if you don't want to eat it".

OY
Old 23 October 2014, 03:56 PM

If you are an ethical vegetarian, I can respect that (even if I don't share it). If not, where you think your morning bacon, noon hamburger, and evening lambchop came from?

Venison is delicious.
Old 23 October 2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by she-geek View Post
Then again, I may be biased, as I object to hunting just to kill stuff, rather than hunting for food. YMMV.
What in specific makes you think the meat will go to waste? Just because the family is having the animal taxidermy'd doesn't mean the venison won't be eaten.
Old 23 October 2014, 04:41 PM

Moose

The way the article is written, it isn't surprising to me why its generating the responses that it is.

The way it is worded, it paints the hunters as simply wanting the bragging rights for taking down an animal with a rare genetic trait. It doesn't mention what became of the meat one way or another. Not being a hunter myself, I can't assume it was consumed, and I can't assume it wasn't. A single line in the story would have cleared that point up.

~Psihala
Old 23 October 2014, 05:06 PM

Sorry for my shorthand, but I stand by my statement. Deer are vastly overpopulated and need thinning for their own general health and survival; albinism isn't a survival trait and even a slight effort at slowing it's spread is better than just ignoring it; even if the hunt was for "bragging rights", it's quite likely that the meat would not go to waste, since venison is very popular throughout the country; even if it was tossed, well, I'd not be happy someone killed an unusual creature merely as a trophy, but YMMV (as we do like to say here), and who's to say my viewpoint is the right one as compared to the OP deerslayer?
Old 23 October 2014, 05:10 PM

I guess my immediate reaction was that it was poor sportsmanship. Like shooting fish in a barrel and then bragging abiut your catch.
Old 23 October 2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I guess my immediate reaction was that it was poor sportsmanship. Like shooting fish in a barrel and then bragging abiut your catch.
That would be more akin to "shooting a deer in a pen", really.

OY
Old 23 October 2014, 05:48 PM

There's an entire herd of white deer at the former Seneca Army Depot in the Finger Lakes. The entire area was fenced for security while the depot was active, and the genetics spread within the herd, which was protected from most predation by the fence. Some limited hunting was allowed while the depot was active, but authorities apparently were taken by the white deer and discouraged hunting those; these days there's a limited hunt and some white deer may also be taken, but the herd's being managed so as to perpetuate the white trait. Future use is unclear but there's a sizeable movement to save the white deer; they're trying to get the area (no longer in military use) kept as a reserve for the deer and a tourist attraction.

As far as I know that herd is otherwise in good health and surviving without problems; so I think the main problem with the genetics is the increased visibility to predators -- actually I just looked it up; they're leucistic, not albino, so their eyes are normal.

I agree that the bit ATNM quoted shows a proper attitude.
Old 23 October 2014, 07:34 PM

I know anecdote etc. but I've yet to meet any hunter who doesn't use the meat. I even had a friend who took as many as he could one year and donated the extra meat to a homeless shelter. Venison also gets donated to food pantries too. I'm sorry such a beautiful animal had to die. I'm rather sad every time I see one over a hood or hanging from a tree. They're all beautiful, but if someone offers me the venison I take it gratefully. Sadly, without the hunting it could be pretty ugly here. The father was teaching the kid the correct attitude for hunting, and it was done with a cross bow. That can't be easy.
Old 23 October 2014, 07:57 PM

Sue:

I don't see shooting a mature deer with a bow as "shooting fish in a barrel". To me (a very seldom hunter), that would be a significant accomplishment for a hunter. It takes skill to take game with a bow; hardly "shooting fish in a barrel".

And I enjoy venison. I've never known a hunter who didn't use his game as food.

Yes, I think deer are pleasant to look at, but here in Ohio, where they are greatly prolific, they are almost like rats. A couple years ago, east-bound along I-70, we saw an average of 1 dear killed by vehicles per mile, for nearly 50 miles.
Old 23 October 2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat Warrior View Post
... east-bound along I-70, we saw an average of 1 dear killed by vehicles per mile, for nearly 50 miles.
So you really like the deer, eh? (that one is so easy to do)

I am unfamiliar with how hard crossbow hunting is. I know I would have been impressed if he had used a compound bow, as the strength needed to pull the bow and hold it steady is beyond many adult men.
Old 23 October 2014, 08:32 PM

The article says they are doing a "full body mount." Is the meat usable then? I would think no, but I have no experience with taxidermy.
Old 23 October 2014, 08:36 PM

I am not an expert by any means, but I think it would be possible, though difficult. Off to google.