snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > Wild Kingdom

Old 31 March 2013, 12:00 PM

Tweetilynn's post reminds me of something I have been meaning to ask. I have in the last few years been told that I should not flush cat feces. First I was told it was because it was 'hard on the sewage system', which did not really make sense (if not feces, what are we supposed to flush into the sewer!?) Then it was the toxoplasmosis reason, based on not infecting sea otters. But then that would only be a concern west of the Rockies, right? Flushes here eventually end up in the Gulf of Mexico (with some treatment before the wastewater is discharged into a river), which has no sea otters. Sea otters are an ocean away. So is there any real reason to worry about flushing cat feces in the eastern 2/3 of the USA?
Old 31 March 2013, 01:33 PM

I suppose the toxoplasmosis might affect other sea life.

I've never heard that flushing cat feces down the toilet is hard on sewer systems, but I've heard that scoopable cat litter should not be flushed for that reason. So maybe flushing feces with too much litter (scoopable or clay) attached would be contra-indicated.
Old 31 March 2013, 02:48 PM

Bonsai Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I suppose the toxoplasmosis might affect other sea life.
If that's the case it should be said. I have only heard the toxoplasmosis claim as to sea otters. If it affects manatees or dolphins (I am assuming it is only mammalian disease), I would be fine with the warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
I've never heard that flushing cat feces down the toilet is hard on sewer systems, but I've heard that scoopable cat litter should not be flushed for that reason. So maybe flushing feces with too much litter (scoopable or clay) attached would be contra-indicated.
Anything that gets scooped out of the litter box gets bagged and disposed of in trash. But the cat that occupies this house is not as reliably house-trained as i would like, and when I have to clean up the floor, I'd prefer to flush the results.
Old 31 March 2013, 03:08 PM

I was just speculating on the sea life, thing, Mack, not accusing you disregard for dolphins. I noticed the sea otter warning came from an organization that specializes in sea otters.

And I do so the same thing with those little out-of-place surprises.
Old 31 March 2013, 03:30 PM

I just checked the Wikipedia article on toxoplasmosis - pretty much any warm-blooded creature can catch it, and an estimated 1/3 of people are infected, with non-acute symptoms.
Old 11 June 2013, 01:57 PM

Icon05

Resurrecting this thread to ask: why can leave home and Flanders doesn't go nuts, but if we're at the dog park and I need to get something out my car, someone had to hold her until I get out of the enclosure? She goes crazy even though she can clearly see me at all times and it doesn't take that long for me to get something out of my car. She doesn't think I'm leaving her does she?
Old 11 June 2013, 02:01 PM

Possibly, in the sense that being away from her pack leader seems different to her when she is in what she perceives as her territory vice outside of it.