snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Inboxer Rebellion

Old 05 December 2009, 09:31 PM

Default 3 Letters from a Veteran

Dear Senator ---,
Another request for Congress to act in Afghanistan—either declare war or bring the boys home. Spending our precious sons, to die for nothing, is not an option. If someone can sell a national policy in our best interests to Congress then Congress must do its job and declare war against a named enemy. If not, quit sending our sons to die in the poppy fields of a place that’s successfully resisted every attempt to civilize it for three thousand years.

Dear Senator ---,
Please, I’m begging you, lead the Senate’s move to legally and responsibly characterize the conflict in Afghanistan—a binary choice this is: War, or not war. Bring it to a vote soonest. Up or down. It is your most important, pressing and solemn duty.

I was engaged in another undeclared folly, one in southeast Asia that killed sixty thousand of my brothers. Go to the black wall…read their names…all had lives snuffed out too soon and for no publicly declared reason. Did our Republic learn nothing? Why are we allowing honorable young men to die today in the dregs of human history while their Commander in Chief avoids doing his sworn duty?

It’s like this, Senator —fight our enemies to win, or withdraw. Another slow bloodletting is simply too painful to endure.

To my veteran brothers:
For the second time, I've sent a plea to my senior Senator, … to do his duty.
The Chickenshit-in-Chief POTUS is AWOL after he noticed there's no politically-expedient or easy answers for the decider during war-time.
I'm broadcasting this to my friends so anyone who wants to write their elected representatives about real life and death issues, can. The insanity of Congress avoiding the war or peace decision, occupying itself with toying with socialized medicine, is frightening. Under Article One, Section Eight of our Constitution, The Congress shall have Power To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;... The Constitution is silent on healthcare.
Perhaps some letters from us will help some of them focus on what's important. Like the lives of our sons and daughters.
Old 05 December 2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
I was engaged in another undeclared folly, one in southeast Asia that killed sixty thousand of my brothers. Go to the black wall…read their names…all had lives snuffed out too soon and for no publicly declared reason. Did our Republic learn nothing? Why are we allowing honorable young men to die today in the dregs of human history while their Commander in Chief avoids doing his sworn duty?
"You're entering a world of pain, Smokey. This is not 'Nam, this is bowling--there are RULES!"