snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Non-UL Chat > NFBSK Gone Wild!

Old 29 January 2019, 10:06 PM

Default “Female butt obsession is a gateway to homosexuality,” says Roosh.

https://www.queerty.com/womens-butts...mpression=true

Be warned: in the video he calls his bits a “benis” and asks if you girls use a plunger to clean your rectums (as opposed to a d0uche or bidet).

Quote:
Daryush Valizadeh (aka. “Roosh V”), a so-called “men’s rights activist” (MRA) who once suggested that we “make rape legal if done on private property”, recently released a video in which he stated “female butt obsession is a gateway to homosexuality.”

That’s right, straight boys: Liking women’s butts will turn you gay! BEWARE!!! IT’S A TRAP!!!

In his video, which was recorded in a kitchen, Valizadeh says, “I officially declare myself a boob man. I am now all about the boobs because being a butt man is just a gateway to homosexual activity.”
For those coming in late, Roosh was at one point influential. Both H.Bomberguy and Natalie Wynn have videos on him. Also I started a thread about him elsewhere, because he can’t bake.
Old 29 January 2019, 10:21 PM

If the headline were true, Sir Mix-A-Lot would be queerer than a football bat. Either way, SMAL's video has 1,000,000,000 times as much thoughtful analysis as Valizadeh's blog.
Old 30 January 2019, 12:56 AM

"He was popular on YouTube" doesn't tell much to people who don't make a habit of following YouTube vloggers. I think I've heard this guy get referenced in conversation once or twice, but always in the context of "what insane breed of logic is that?"
Old 30 January 2019, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
"He was popular on YouTube" doesn't tell much to people who don't make a habit of following YouTube vloggers. I think I've heard this guy get referenced in conversation once or twice, but always in the context of "what insane breed of logic is that?"
I’m not sure he ever actually joined the annals of YouTube Awful People. His platform was more focused on RoK.
Old 30 January 2019, 05:25 AM

I don't know what RoK is.
Old 30 January 2019, 05:39 AM

IMO: Yet another useless thread to feed another nitwit troll no one knows. (Second time, at least, JnP has fed this one.) "For those coming in late," we're told. Nope, no one is coming in late on any of this, I guarantee.
Old 30 January 2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocoduck_hunter View Post
I don't know what RoK is.
Return of Kings. Don't bother Googling it. Misogynistic "men's rights" site.

I've heard this man's name before but I'm not sure of the specifics. Best not to give him attention or traffic.
Old 30 January 2019, 06:44 AM

People who are infamous for pretending to be famous only benefit from this kind of exposure. I hope JnP will stop posting this stuff - especially in individual threads. I feel like we've asked politely several times. I wouldn't object to one 'Internet Creeps' thread or whatever for anyone else who may be interested in this nonsense.
Old 30 January 2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
Return of Kings. Don't bother Googling it. Misogynistic "men's rights" site.

I've heard this man's name before but I'm not sure of the specifics. Best not to give him attention or traffic.
Wasn't going to, figured it was something of the sort.
Old 31 January 2019, 03:49 AM

Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
People who are infamous for pretending to be famous only benefit from this kind of exposure. I hope JnP will stop posting this stuff - especially in individual threads. I feel like we've asked politely several times. I wouldn't object to one 'Internet Creeps' thread or whatever for anyone else who may be interested in this nonsense.
While I agree the board would be better served by just having this all in a “Internet Creeps” thread, the sad part is that these trogs are having a disturbing amount of influence on modern politics. I firmly believe that much of the alt-Right movement got its start in the cesspool of GamerGate. The GG-ers and alt-Right share similar tactics and have a disturbing amount of overlap. GG probably served to indoctrinate many.

It would be satisfying if it was simply a matter of ignoring them, but right now, MRAs, GGers, Alt-Right, [Insert Whatever New Term Here] currently have much of a major political party, along with the POTUS himself, in their corner, ignore them at your peril. If they really were just some lunatic fringe with no real power, then I’d be all “Ignore them and Don’t feed the troll.”

Though I’m not entirely sure how well ignoring trolls works in the first place. Maybe it does under some, but it seems ridiculous to just turn a blind eye while some troll shits all over everything like an inbred toy poodle. Also, speaking as someone who endured many years of bullying, ignoring bullies doesn’t NFBSKing work.
Old 31 January 2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
It would be satisfying if it was simply a matter of ignoring them, but right now, MRAs, GGers, Alt-Right, [Insert Whatever New Term Here] currently have much of a major political party, along with the POTUS himself, in their corner, ignore them at your peril. If they really were just some lunatic fringe with no real power, then I’d be all “Ignore them and Don’t feed the troll.”
UKIP in the UK, too, which while it's never been a mainstream party in the UK itself, and has been in decline, is still a lot more influential than it should be - if only in terms of name recognition. JnP started a thread on the weird alt-right takeover of UKIP, and was certainly ahead of the curve on noticing it (and its significance) compared to most people in the UK. Maybe UKIP's moment really has passed, but it seems at least as likely to me that they'll have a sudden comeback at some point when it all goes wrong (wronger than now) and the Leavers suddenly decide that everybody else has betrayed them for real...
Old 31 January 2019, 10:38 PM

Isn't it possible to keep an eye on such people without linking to them, though? or at any rate, without linking to them here. Somebody needs to watch them, but not everybody does, and having more people give them traffic than the absolute minimum needed sounds like a bad idea to me.

I don't know where the link in the OP in this thread goes, and haven't clicked it. I do take a look once in a while at We Hunted the Mammoth. I think JnP has sometimes linked there, instead of to the original posts; if the link in this OP is similarly to a watchdog site, it would be useful to say so. I don't have memorized, and am not going to have memorized, all the possible such sites. And I expect there are plenty of people reading these boards who won't recognize the Mammoth, either; so specifying what's going on in the text is a good idea in general.

ETA: We Hunted the Mammoth does indeed discuss this particular bit of nonsense.

Last edited by thorny locust; 31 January 2019 at 10:44 PM.
Old 31 January 2019, 10:50 PM

Indeed, http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com is an awesome site.
Old 01 February 2019, 12:21 AM

Didn’t have time to post this earlier, but the link TL referred to is specifically http://www.wehuntedthemammoth.com/20...homosexuality/

I actually found that site first, but when it came time to post this, I figured it was just easier to google a link.

Also, I’m not sure I want “Elastigirl” and “sex” in the same sentence.
Old 01 February 2019, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Though I’m not entirely sure how well ignoring trolls works in the first place.
I don't really know what you're going on about. I never said anything about ignoring anyone. Nor do I understand what 'works' means in this sentence. I don't see what any of that has to do with starting a bunch of new threads (or any threads at all) for this kind of nitwit.
Old 01 February 2019, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganzfeld View Post
I don't really know what you're going on about. I never said anything about ignoring anyone. Nor do I understand what 'works' means in this sentence. I don't see what any of that has to do with starting a bunch of new threads (or any threads at all) for this kind of nitwit.
You talked about undue exposure. I’m not entirely sure how that works in this case, because even people who would agree with him have noted that he’s extremely bad at presenting his arguments.

Incidentally, someone tried reporting him. Guess how well that went.
Old 01 February 2019, 04:53 AM

Roll eyes

Not opening a new thread - every time he and several other pet trolls says anything to get attention - does not equal ignoring. Also, there are a million problems in this world that we 'ignore' every day if by 'ignore' you mean "didn't start a new thread on the ULMB about it".