snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Diversions > Urban Legends Contest

Old 20 February 2018, 03:20 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
THIS WEEK'S QUESTIONS

1. What are "Bacillus" bacteria shaped like?
Rods, I think.
Quote:

2. What author founded National Review magazine in 1955?
Hmmm. I feel as if I should know this, but I don't. I'm going to say Hemingway, because that's the first name that popped into my head who was writing in 1955.
Quote:

3. What NBA coach, in his 22nd season with his team, is currently the longest tenured coach in any of the four major North American sports organizations?
Sports question! I seriously cannot come up with a single name other than Tom Brady, who's a player of a completely different sport.
Quote:

4. What fictional American town is closely associated with products like Powdermilk Biscuits and Beebop-a-Ree-Bop Rhubarb Pie?
Mayberry, RFD. Oh, wait, that's not a state abbreviation. Ignore that last part.
Quote:

5. What country's national day, January 26, commemorates the 1788 landing of the First Fleet, but is sometimes referred to as "Invasion Day" by minority groups?
If we hadn't just had a discussion about this, I would still have guessed Australia.
Quote:

6. Which book of the Bible includes a vision of scroll closed with seven seals?
Revelations? Ingmar Bergman made a movie about it.
Quote:

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Yasser Arafat, Peter Boyle, Stephen Fry, Joseph Goebbels, Fred Grandy, William Holden, Michael Jackson, David Miscavige, Leonard Nimoy, Prince Harry, Frank Sinatra.
That is a very interesting list, not the least because there's only one person on it that I've never heard of. I don't have a clue what they have in common.

Seaboe
Old 20 February 2018, 04:02 PM

4. What fictional American town is closely associated with products like Powdermilk Biscuits and Beebop-a-Ree-Bop Rhubarb Pie?

Lake Wobegon.
It's not aired here anymore and I miss it.

5. What country's national day, January 26, commemorates the 1788 landing of the First Fleet, but is sometimes referred to as "Invasion Day" by minority groups?

Australia

The Apocalypse

Sorry! Should be Book of Revelation

Last edited by Floater; 20 February 2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 20 February 2018, 04:31 PM

1. What are "Bacillus" bacteria shaped like?

rods

2. What author founded National Review magazine in 1955?

William F. Buckley

3. What NBA coach, in his 22nd season with his team, is currently the longest tenured coach in any of the four major North American sports organizations?

don't know

Lake Wobegon, Minnesota

Australia

Revelation

7. What unusual distinction is shared by all these famous people? Yasser Arafat, Peter Boyle, Stephen Fry, Joseph Goebbels, Fred Grandy, William Holden, Michael Jackson, David Miscavige, Leonard Nimoy, Prince Harry, Frank Sinatra.

don't know
Old 20 February 2018, 04:39 PM

1. I know what shape they are - sort of like mouse droppings, but the question implies a specific phrase that must be the meaning of Bacillus. Is it "rod-like" or something?

I don't know many of the others. I should know number 2 (was it Norman Mailer or somebody like that?), and 5 is Australia because I saw people going on about "Invasion Day" on Facebook. And 6 is The Revelation of St John I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DadOf3 View Post
7. Erm, they all spent a lot of time "in the closet"?

(eta) One thing about the juxtaposition of Fry and Goebbels made me remember that Stephen Fry wrote a novel that featured Goebbels, I think (Making History). Although it's more about Hitler - a time-travel story about killing him, so if that's the link I don't know why Goebbels would be there rather than Hitler. I don't think that extends to any of the other pairs even if it is right, though.

Last edited by Richard W; 20 February 2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 20 February 2018, 05:29 PM

Addendum to question #4: "Well, that's the news from Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average."
Old 20 February 2018, 06:50 PM

Baseball 2 for 7 this week. No chance on my guesses even.

1. Barrels?

2. Only author from that era I can think of is John Steinbeck.

3. I don't know any NBA coaches. When did Michael Jordan take up coaching. I'm going with him.

4. It's not Quahog. I'm guessing with things like that it is Mayberry.

5. I know this one. Australia. Working with Australians overseas taught me the date, but not the controversy.

6. In my Bible it would be Revelations. In my Grandmother's, it is Apocalypse.

7. All were overshdowed by older brothers growing up, but became known on their own.
Old 20 February 2018, 06:52 PM

I don't think anyone got 3 yet.
3. Is Greg Popovich still with San Antonio?

1. What are "Bacillus" bacteria shaped like? Duh, bacilli. You're welcome.
Rods
Old 20 February 2018, 09:03 PM

1. They're straight, aren't they?

2. William F Buckley.

3. No idea.

4. Lake Wobegone.

5. Australia.

6. Revelation.

7. I can't come up with anything.
Old 21 February 2018, 10:44 AM

5. What country's national day, January 26, commemorates the 1788 landing of the First Fleet, but is sometimes referred to as "Invasion Day" by minority groups? Australia.

6. Which book of the Bible includes a vision of scroll closed with seven seals? Really? This one has to be a gimme... Revelation.