snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 30 October 2018, 04:02 PM

When I lived in Irvine, a residential area that was denser than most due to the university, I was disappointed no one went trick or treating in my condo complex. It wasn't gated in any way; it was laid out like a collection of small houses on quiet streets with lots of front doors facing in to courtyards, perfect for the littlest goblins, I thought. Once year I hung out at a friend's house and found out where they were all going. This friend rented a house with several other students in a neighborhood that went all out-- elaborate decorations, music, they even closed the street to vehicle traffic. Kids didn't go all the way up to the doors because it was such a mob scene; people sat at the end of their driveways with multiple giant buckets of candy as a steady stream of kids ran by and snatched handfuls. Some didn't even get off the phone to say "trick or treat!" It was fun, but made me nostalgic for my childhood of just going around to the houses in walking distance.
Old 30 October 2018, 04:10 PM

I'm looking to live in a neighborhood where we get as many as 200 trick or treaters each year. I love seeing the sidewalks alive with kids and families. It always reminds me of my childhood.
Old 30 October 2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervus View Post
half the fun is the freedom to run around with no adult supervision...
I'm intrigued by this part about no adult supervision. We always had an adult chaperone while trick or treating when I was a kid, and that seemed like the norm for my area.
Old 30 October 2018, 06:00 PM

In my 'hood most kids come with parents.

- Parents wait on the sidewalk while kids come to the door.

- Some parents drive from block to block and wait with the motor running at the end of each block. This is more common when it is cold or raining.

- Some parents come to the door, I have a few each year who have their own bag, many claim to have a sick kid at home.

- A small minority are unaccompanied kids, usually between 12 and 17 years old.
Old 30 October 2018, 06:36 PM

I walk around with my kids, but usually stay on the street. I have to drive my kids to an area to trick-or-treat, so I don't want to just sit in the car. Plus, it gives me a chance to talk to the various parents I know in the area. I do miss going out in a big pack of kids and coming back with pillowcases full of candy. Those were good times.
Old 30 October 2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
I'm intrigued by this part about no adult supervision. We always had an adult chaperone while trick or treating when I was a kid, and that seemed like the norm for my area.
When I was trick-or-treating(1970s), adult supervision was encouraged, even though I lived in a large mobile home park and never went out into the streets.

My complex is doing it tonight, for whatever reason.
Old 31 October 2018, 12:20 AM

Adult accompaniment for little kids, yeah. By the time I was in middle school, we were allowed to go without adults as long as there were at least three of us in a group. Age 12 was the best; I went with some kids from school and covered (what felt like?) several miles in one exhausting night. At one point I realized I had no idea where we were, but fortunately the others did and we got back, albeit late, without getting lost.
Old 31 October 2018, 03:27 PM

Glasses

I went trick or treating on my street, and on a few short blocks radiating off my street. Given that my street was probably 1 mile long, end to end, that was plenty of candy, and plenty of walking.

I am wearing my 18th century gown today, only without the corset, and the snaps (one in particular) won't stay snapped (my uncorseted front clearly is a different shape than my corseted one--duh). I'm pretty sure I won't make it to the end of the day, since I also can't pick up anything I drop.

Seaboe
Old 31 October 2018, 05:54 PM

When I was a kid we lived in a subdivision that was in the middle of an otherwise fairly rural area. There weren't really any other "neighborhoods" that one could walk to, and leaving our subdivision would have meant walking on busy roads with no sidewalks and cars going 45-55 mph, which we weren't allowed to do. So we were pretty much confined to our own subdivision for trick or treating.
Old 04 November 2018, 11:37 AM

Whalephant

A couple was checking in tonight and asked for a third key for their teenage son, who was waiting in the car. I handed it to them, telling them they can have some fun by telling him that if he loses it it will cost $25 to replace, since they might as well make a little profit off him. They burst into laughter and the husband said "I like how you think!"
Old 04 November 2018, 01:25 PM

We are over 1,000 posts, so I started a new thread:

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=97108
Old 04 November 2018, 01:42 PM

Would you say you’ve... hijacked this thread?