snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Entertainment

Old 09 June 2007, 03:07 AM
Ezri

Default Amy Lee's "Snow White Queen"

I was asking a friend of mine what the song "Snow White Queen" on Evanescence's new Album "The Open Door" was about. He said that he read somewhere that it's about a woman who was stalking Amy Lee and the reason it's called "Snow White Queen" is because I guess on some online forums or something her stalker would post and her screen name would be "Snow White". He swears it's the truth, and it sounds like it could be, but until I have proof it's just a FOAF story. Anyone have any info?
Old 10 June 2007, 05:50 AM

Looks like, according to this site at least (result of a quick Google) the song is indeed about stalkers:

http://www.last.fm/user/ThereForYou/.../09/20/231102/

ETA: Of course this is user submitted, so it could be just as FOAF as your friend's story.
Old 10 June 2007, 06:29 AM

It is about a stalker. But the Snow White part comes from it being Amy's username on the Evboard.
Old 10 June 2007, 07:18 PM
Ezri

Oh Snow White was Amy's name? Then why are the lyrics "You belong to me, my snow white queen" You'd think that if she was going to sing about a stalker she wouldn't use her own name? I'm sort of confused here.
Old 10 June 2007, 07:21 PM

Borg

I had heard that the song was intended to be used in the Narnia film but the filmmakers changed their minds after it was recorded.
Old 10 June 2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezri View Post
Oh Snow White was Amy's name? Then why are the lyrics "You belong to me, my snow white queen" You'd think that if she was going to sing about a stalker she wouldn't use her own name? I'm sort of confused here.
The song is sung from the stalker's POV, even though Amy is singing it.
Old 10 June 2007, 11:15 PM
Ezri

Thank You GalateaDancer, I get it now.
Old 11 June 2007, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra View Post
I had heard that the song was intended to be used in the Narnia film but the filmmakers changed their minds after it was recorded.
You'd think all they'd have to do is read the lyrics to know it wasn't appropriate for Narnia. I'm much happier with the Alanis Morrisette song, "Wunderkind" as a kind of pop theme for the movie.
Old 12 June 2007, 10:30 PM
burymeinblack

i love the song and now that i think about it does sound stalkerish
Old 12 June 2007, 10:46 PM

Borg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidgardDragon View Post
You'd think all they'd have to do is read the lyrics to know it wasn't appropriate for Narnia. I'm much happier with the Alanis Morrisette song, "Wunderkind" as a kind of pop theme for the movie.
That was kind of my thinking, but then again the person who told me that is... well, kind of gullible. There may not be an ounce of truth to it, but it was one of the bits of trivia I have heard about the song.
Old 13 June 2007, 06:31 AM

It is not the Narnia song. The Narnia song has not been released yet.
Old 14 June 2007, 10:40 AM
finkles2000

I take your "Snow White Queen" by Amy Lee and raise you one "Possession" by Sarah McLachlan. I haven't heard the "Snow White" song, but it reminds me of the song Sarah McLachlan wrote and performed about 13 or so years ago on the excellent and classic Fumbling Towards Ecstasy. That was written from the point of view of a stalker she had. When I first heard it, I thought it was a great love song, but when I heard about the circumstances . . . whoa. Disturbing stuff. The guy, who was in prison (I think), sued her, stating that she had used his letters in the song in some form or another. But then he committed, so the lawsuit never came to fruition.
"I would be the one to hold you down . . ."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possession_%28song%29

Last edited by finkles2000; 14 June 2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 18 June 2007, 08:45 PM
Bree Cheese

Hey, we can't forget "Every Breath You Take" by The Police. Back when it came out, I had no idea it was about a stalker. Of course, I was 9 at the time. When I was in college, a fellow student told me she knew a couple who used it as their wedding song! They must have a weird relationship, because if a guy told me "every step you take, every breath you make, I'll be watching you", I wouldn't be ready to jump into his arms.
Old 18 June 2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venus View Post
It is not the Narnia song. The Narnia song has not been released yet.
I'm not really sure what you mean by this. Of course Snow White Queen isn't the theme from the latest Chronicles of Narnia movie, however TLTWTW soundtrack was released a long time ago and it has the main score as well as the "pop theme" for the movie, "Wunderkind" by Alanis Morrisette.
Old 18 June 2007, 11:07 PM

There was a rumor that Snow White Queen was originally written for Narnia. It wasn't. The song Amy wrote for Narnia that was rejected for being too dark has not been released yet.