snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 24 May 2018, 06:33 PM

That's pretty much why I assumed it had do with getting a free lawyer.

Also, this guy doesn't seem to be thinking very clearly in general, IMO.
Old 24 May 2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie View Post
That's pretty much why I assumed it had do with getting a free lawyer.

Also, this guy doesn't seem to be thinking very clearly in general, IMO.
If nothing else alienating the (likely) only two people in this world prepared to offer you any help at all (let alone free room and board for 8 years) is not the smartest move someone can make. He's only 30 - he has a lot of years to go and unless something changes I am betting once he's out of that house that's the end of any parental help he might reasonably have expected. And if it were me he would be so out of the will!

Last edited by Sue; 24 May 2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 24 May 2018, 07:21 PM

Assuming that it was a private custody battle (not something involving state child welfare) there are only two things I can think of that would relate to a status of being poor. 1. Representation by a legal aid attorney? Not, AFAIK, anything you could successfully appeal about not getting, unless in that jurisdiction there is some sort of right to it. 2. Being able to file documents "in forma pauperis." (Being able to file court papers without a fee, or with a reduced fee.). Could be an issue if it was denied, he was entitled to it, and papers he wanted to file were not accepted.

Just from observation, his issues might have been related to support -- sometimes people try to avoid having to pay support by actually having no income. Often, an income will still be imputed to them unless there is some reason that they cannot work. This would not ordinarily have anything to do with custody, but some people tend to jumble all of their issues up into one thing, so it wouldn't be surprising if he did that. So he could be trying to get the court to treat him as having no income, but having that "denied" by the family law court treating him as having, say, a full time minimum wage job, if it thinks he is capable of that but just choosing not to work.

ETA: Sue, I feel for the parents as well. They certainly are not seeking the publicity they are getting, but it sounds like their son is reveling in it. I hope they can wrap up their involvement quickly.
Old 24 May 2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Just from observation, his issues might have been related to support -- sometimes people try to avoid having to pay support by actually having no income.
Been there, had the ex try that. (rolleyes for deadbeat parents, not for erwins)
Old 24 May 2018, 07:28 PM

Hiding income in order to not support your own child is despicable. Choosing to live without any income apparently out of spite . . . I don't even know what to say about it.
Old 24 May 2018, 07:40 PM

Assuming he leaves the parental home but has no income - does he qualify for welfare? I'm not sure how it works if someone has made it clear they won't work as opposed to being unable to work or unable to find work.
Old 25 May 2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
2. Being able to file documents "in forma pauperis." (Being able to file court papers without a fee, or with a reduced fee.). Could be an issue if it was denied, he was entitled to it, and papers he wanted to file were not accepted.
IANAL and I'm just adding to your comment, but in forma pauperis filings don't usually require you to prove you have no income at all... at least, the ones I am familiar with, don't.

Quote:
Just from observation, his issues might have been related to support -- sometimes people try to avoid having to pay support by actually having no income.
That's what I said, a derriere chapeau..

I am often amazed at the ethical contortions that some people will go through to deny their exes money that should be going to the support of their child.
Old 25 May 2018, 01:41 PM

Alarm, you're right -- and really none of these would require proving that you have an income of literally zero.
Old 25 May 2018, 04:20 PM

Jolly Roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarm View Post
I am often amazed at the ethical contortions that some people will go through to deny their exes money that should be going to the support of their child.
I've met more than one of such people who have worked full time low-paying jobs just so that they can deprive their kids of child support.
Old 25 May 2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachlife! View Post
I've met more than one of such people who have worked full time low-paying jobs just so that they can deprive their kids of child support.
I know of one individual who wants 50/50 custody of his children just so he can stop paying support. However, whenever it's inconvenient for him, he dumps the children on his ex. She has several examples of this, including one week where he went on vacation with his new squeeze without telling his ex.

poor kids
Old 25 May 2018, 05:04 PM

His comment about how he isn't working because he's focused on being a father made me cringe. So parents who have jobs are just faking the parenting? Anyway it sounds like he isn't parenting the child in any meaningful sense of the word. Reminds me so much of a good friend's ex who moved out of the province and eventually out of the country to avoid paying child support - didn't see his kids again until they were in their early 20s and then whined to all and sundry that his evil ex wife had turned the children against him because they didn't want to have anything to do with him.
Old 25 May 2018, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Assuming that it was a private custody battle (not something involving state child welfare) there are only two things I can think of that would relate to a status of being poor. 1. Representation by a legal aid attorney? Not, AFAIK, anything you could successfully appeal about not getting, unless in that jurisdiction there is some sort of right to it. 2. Being able to file documents "in forma pauperis." (Being able to file court papers without a fee, or with a reduced fee.). Could be an issue if it was denied, he was entitled to it, and papers he wanted to file were not accepted.
And if it did involve child welfare, his financial situation might be even less important. In LA county and, I believe (but am not certain) NY, parents in child welfare proceedings don't need to prove they're poor to get court-appointed counsel. The court may order a person of means to reimburse some portion of the cost--around here they cap it at $500, which is a fraction of a private attorney's retainer fee. There's statutory authority and case law in CA and probably NY too that poverty alone is not a reason to remove children from their parents, and sometimes a fit parent who can't provide a safe home due to poverty is eligible for some assistance from the county, but I really doubt that's what's going on here. For one thing, so long as he's living with his folks, he's not homeless, and therefore wouldn't be in need of housing vouchers or subsidies. If he's trying to play that card, he should just move out.
Old 26 May 2018, 06:42 PM

Another place I visit online was talking about this case and several people were saying that the young man in question has mental health issues and the parents are being cruel to force him out of the house. They are making the point that he can't cope on his own. Be that as it may be is there a time when parents shouldn't feel that they must provide a home for an adult child? I don't like the idea that no matter how badly someone behaves, regardless of the reason, that a parent can't take steps to get their own lives back.
Old 26 May 2018, 07:17 PM

If he actually has mental health issues that are so bad he can't live on his own, then he ought to be under treatment. But I don't think his parents are required to have him living with them while he gets it.

The judge doesn't seem to have ordered a mental health evaluation (though I don't know whether a judge can do so in this sort of case.) Is there any evidence he actually has any diagnosable condition? or are the people in question just leaping to conclusions?

Plus which, if he actually does have a condition preventing him from holding down a job and preventing him from living on his own, how would he be in any condition to be raising a child? That requires more responsibility, not less. (though it's not clear to me whether he's trying to get custody, or visitation rights; and if visitation rights, whether he wants unsupervised visitation.)
Old 26 May 2018, 07:24 PM

My inlaws are dealing with something similar Sue. Their oldest son had a stroke a couple of years ago and is partially paralyzed. He has had mental health issues that have only been exacerbated. He's 50 but often sounds like a petulant teenager. I'm not sure my inlaws will ever get their lives back.
Old 02 June 2018, 03:48 PM

He's apparently left.

30-Year-Old Leaves The Nest After Parents Win Court-Ordered Eviction

From that article:

Quote:
For now, Rotondo says he is "off to an Airbnb."
I wonder whether the Airbnb owner will eventually have to sue to get him back out of there?
Old 03 June 2018, 01:33 PM

It sounds like his actions have caused, potentially, irreparable harm to the relationship he had with his parents. He seems to blame them for his problems and to be acting like a petulant child while they, clearly, are at the end of their rope. I hope they've changed the locks.