snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > Moot Court

Old 29 November 2017, 09:28 PM

Default Bosnian Croat war criminal dies after taking poison in UN courtroom

Seconds after the judges had delivered their decision at the international criminal tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) on Wednesday, Slobodan Praljak shouted out angrily: “Praljak is not a criminal. I reject your verdict.”

The 72-year-old then raised a small brown bottle to his lips, and drank it in full view of the cameras filming the hearing. “I just drank poison,” he said. “I am not a war criminal. I oppose this conviction.”

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017...obodan-praljak
Old 29 November 2017, 09:51 PM

Military

I remember his name from my time in Bosnia. I was in an historically Serb held region that had been taken over by Croats. He was by far not the worst name I had heard. He was perhaps most guilty of not being able to control those who worked for him. From my recollections, he was not evil like some of the others.

I still am torn by my time in the region. It was my first deployment and I still feel like I was in a region with no good guys. However, I do think experiences I had there set me up for success on three tours to Afghanistan and two to the Levant.
Old 30 November 2017, 01:11 PM

UEL, I was in Bosnia in '96 (as a tourist) and I left thinking that there was no real GOOD side, just the various sides that had killed and displaced a LOT of their neighbors, and the sides that had killed and displaced fewer of their neighbors. It was a huge mess, and I am amazed that the area has worked as well as it has. At the time, I thought that the fighting would be back soon, after talking to people who just wanted revenge, ONE more strike, "justice by killing a lot of them", or the equivalent.