snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > SLC Central > SLC

Old 20 June 2018, 12:11 AM

That reminds me, there used to be someone around here with a Tesla Roadster (the original one that used a Lotus body). I'm not sure how many of those they made, but they seem to be a lot less common than the much more ubiquitous Model S.
Old 20 June 2018, 08:12 AM

I've never seen one of those Tesla Roadsters, and there are plenty of S's round here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Off View Post
Not in Selsey. There are a few down that neck of the woods!
Sounds like you might know (something about) the car or owners! Anyway, in that case I'm sure it was an actual AC Cobra.

I think part of the confusion (if there is any) is that I wasn't claiming to have seen a Shelby Cobra. Those were sold in the USA, whereas this one was seen in England, right-hand-drive, had a UK registration and (as far as I remember) had the letters "AC" on the back. I don't think it had anything to do with Shelby. There may be stricter criteria for whether a Shelby counts as genuine - whether the man himself would have been involved somehow, or whatever - and I can imagine the ones that Shelby personally built being rare. But for this one, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't just be an AC Cobra rather than a replica.
Old 20 June 2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRocket View Post
Saw a Fisker Karma on the way to work today. There's no mistaking that unique horizontally shaped split grill. Neat as I can tell, a bit over 2,000 were produced, so there aren't that many of them.
I saw one of those in Luxembourg (City) a few years ago. I'd never heard of them before but they're pretty odd-looking so I noticed it. I can never remember its name though - thanks for reminding me!
Old 20 June 2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
I've never seen one of those Tesla Roadsters, and there are plenty of S's round here.

Sounds like you might know (something about) the car or owners! Anyway, in that case I'm sure it was an actual AC Cobra.
More the residents down that way make the chances of it being original a little bit higher. Itís somewhat of an enclave of the wealthy and famous.
Old 20 June 2018, 01:24 PM

Yesterday I saw a Polaris Slingshot just like the red one here (scroll down): https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonfo...ers-for-grins/

Very strange looking open roadster look autocycle. Apparently in some states the driver and passenger would have to wear motorcycle helmets.

I've seen 3 wheeled motorcycles before of course. I just don't recall seeing this sort of set up, with bucket seats and a steering wheel, etc.
Old 20 June 2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
More the residents down that way make the chances of it being original a little bit higher. Itís somewhat of an enclave of the wealthy and famous.
... And my parents! It's my home town... OK, Patrick Moore used to live here and Brian May was known for hanging out with him, and I believe Paul Weller from The Jam's mum used to live here, but it still sounds a bit odd to me for being an enclave of the wealthy and famous. West Wittering, maybe...!
Old 20 June 2018, 02:21 PM

Glasses

Yesterday I saw a blue Corvette Stingray to go with the blue mystery car and the blue Jag.

I also saw two Tesla SUVs (don't know which model that is), one of them driven by a real asshat, unfortunately. By asshat in this context I mean one of those people who sees the other cars on the road as put there to inconvenience him.

Seaboe
Old 20 June 2018, 03:06 PM

Carroll Shelby considered any car a true Shelby if he got paid for it. Consider the Dodge Shelby Omni.
Old 20 June 2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
Carroll Shelby considered any car a true Shelby if he got paid for it. Consider the Dodge Shelby Omni.
Funnily enough I was talking to my dad earlier about brand names changing hands and whether they're still "real" and so on (he was talking about a brand of tools he used to like, whose name was bought by a much cheaper and lower-quality company), and I told him I'd seen an AC Cobra in the village a couple of days ago, thinking to mention the conversation about how to tell if they're real or not, and he immediately said, "Oh, Shelby?"... so even in the UK it seems they're immediately associated with Shelby and I don't really know enough to express an opinion...
Old 20 June 2018, 03:51 PM

I just read the Wiki article ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Cobra ) about the AC Cobra. I did not realize that AC in England, actually made the AC Cobra independently of Shelby although I am sure they shared engineering.
Old 20 June 2018, 05:34 PM

Saw a 70s era Nissan/Datsun Z car in a nice shade of green. Couldn't tell the exact model.
Old 20 June 2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
I also saw two Tesla SUVs (don't know which model that is), one of them driven by a real asshat, unfortunately. By asshat in this context I mean one of those people who sees the other cars on the road as put there to inconvenience him.

Seaboe
That's the Model X. It has some interesting design elements, like the "falcon-wing" rear doors, and a panoramic windshield that extends much higher/further back than usual. (Both of which have been problematic.)
Old 20 June 2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post
... And my parents! It's my home town... OK, Patrick Moore used to live here and Brian May was known for hanging out with him, and I believe Paul Weller from The Jam's mum used to live here, but it still sounds a bit odd to me for being an enclave of the wealthy and famous. West Wittering, maybe...!
Well I was refering to the whole penninsular... I think Keith Richards can still be seen wobbling about on his bike, and Nicholas Lyndhurst is often bombing about in a Ferrari!
Old 20 June 2018, 08:03 PM

Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meka View Post
Saw a 70s era Nissan/Datsun Z car in a nice shade of green. Couldn't tell the exact model.
This was several years ago, but I once saw an early Z with a metal license plate frame(the dealership is now defunct), so I assume it was the original owner.
Old 20 June 2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
... and Nicholas Lyndhurst is often bombing about in a Ferrari!
I once saw Nicholas Lyndhurst in a wetsuit, about to go for a shore dive at the (now disappeared) Selsey Lifeboat station. You're right, he lives around here somewhere - in West Wittering I think...!

And having started the What Cars...? thread to avoid hijacking Odd Things, I've now hijacked my own thread to talk about the various celebrities we might have spotted wearing wetsuits.
Old 20 June 2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittykins View Post
This was several years ago, but I once saw an early Z with a metal license plate frame(the dealership is now defunct), so I assume it was the original owner.
I can beat that. Last winter I took some pictures of a 1964 Rambler Classic parked on the street in my neighborhood (I posted one of them in Unhijackable at the time). It had a license plate frame from from Dick Allen Rambler in Inglewood, California. If they're not defunct then they must be selling some other car brand now, since the cars haven't been called Ramblers since the late 1960s. Since license plates usually stay with the car when it changes owners in California I'm guessing the frame stayed, too.

I think the person who owned that Rambler may be a serial old car buyer. I used to always see it parked in the same spot in front of an apartment building around the corner from my house. Then one day it was gone and an older Jeep Wagoneer, I'm guessing probably one from the 1970s or earlier, was in that spot. Now the Jeep is gone and there's a less interesting 1980s GMC pickup there. Prior to the Rambler showing up there was a mid-1960s Chevy panel truck there. The Rambler was the nicest of that string of vehicles, by far.
Old 21 June 2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
I just read the Wiki article ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Cobra ) about the AC Cobra. I did not realize that AC in England, actually made the AC Cobra independently of Shelby although I am sure they shared engineering.
Car Nerd Time!

So, all Cobras were built at the AC factory in England. Cars for the North American market (with a CSX chassis prefix) were shipped to the Shelby facility in California as complete, painted, trimmed rolling cars without engines or transmissions. There, the engines and boxes were installed, any manufacturing defects and shipping damage rectified, and the cars road tested and set up before delivery. Cars for the rest of the world (COB - British RHD cars - and COX prefixes) were finished in the AC factory with engines and boxes imported from the U.S.

CSX cars didn't carry any external AC badging - only on the steering wheel and pedals - and had the famous Shelby badging as well as ones that said "Powered By Ford". COB and COX cars had both AC and Shelby badging (but lacked any mention of Ford).

The whole thing causes a lot of confusion - Americans will usually call them "Shelby Cobra" and Brits say "AC Cobra". Both are generally considered correct, at least if you're speaking about Cobras generally, and only the truly pedantic will argue with you about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
If they're not defunct then they must be selling some other car brand now, since the cars haven't been called Ramblers since the late 1960s. Since license plates usually stay with the car when it changes owners in California I'm guessing the frame stayed, too.
You are probably correct, but vintage metal license plate frames are definitely a collector item and a popular classic car accessory - people will buy them for their cars even though they weren't originally sold there. I'd like to get a pair for my MG from the MG dealer that used to be in my area in the sixties, but I've never found a set.
Old 21 June 2018, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwins View Post
Yesterday I saw a Polaris Slingshot....I've seen 3 wheeled motorcycles before of course. I just don't recall seeing this sort of set up, with bucket seats and a steering wheel, etc.
We have an engineer here who worked at Polaris when they were designing them. He said the idea was to keep it in a separate category apart from motorcycles, and thus avoid the required use of helmets and needing a motorcycle permit on your driver's license. (Helmets are not mandatory in Minnesota anyway.)

He mentioned Texas wanting to classify them as motorcycles, and that Polaris fought that classification. Don't remember how that came out. I'll ask him tomorrow.
Old 22 June 2018, 02:32 AM

On my way home today I saw:

What I'm pretty sure was a Dodge 600 convertible in very good condition, although I only got a brief glimpse of it througn the shrubbery on the median. The 600 was the Dodge counterpart to the 1980s K-Car based Chrysler LeBaron. In my observation the LeBarons were more common (and got featured on Seinfeld and in the film Planes, Trains, and Automobiles), though you don't see many of either nowadays. This is probably another of those "only in California" cars.

Also a classic air-cooled Porsche 911.

And lastly a very nice 1967 or so Mustang, though I consider that almost hardly worth mentioning as old Mustangs aren't all that uncommon. It seems like I read somewhere that they're the world's most restored car.
Old 22 June 2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildaBeast View Post
It seems like I read somewhere that they're the world's most restored car.
It is now possible to build a brand new 1966 Mustang fastback entirely from parts you can order new, including the body itself. A company offers one, and includes a VIN tag so you can legally register it for street use. Aftermarket support for early Mustangs is huge. Probably one of the easiest of the early muscle cars to restore.