snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > Automobiles

Old 16 September 2008, 09:19 PM

Driver

Comment: I have heard that it is possible to avoid a speeding fine when going
through an average speed check area by changing lanes. If you change lanes
before you reach the next camera apparently, it will not detect you.

Is this true ?
Old 20 September 2008, 07:23 PM
Koshka

Check out the extra video footage on the Discovery website -- the MythBusters tried this when they were testing speed cameras. (It doesn't work.)
Old 24 November 2008, 08:18 PM

Police

Comment: Is it true that you can not be given a ticket for not stopping at
a stop sign that does not have a blue sticker on the back of the sign
Old 24 November 2008, 09:56 PM

I wonder what the person who sent this in thinks the blue sticker is.
Old 27 November 2008, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Is it true that you can not be given a ticket for not stopping at
a stop sign that does not have a blue sticker on the back of the sign
In my area the cities and countys put stickers on the signs that they put up and maintain. I'm not really sure why, but the two ways I've found it helpful are to A) establish jurisdiction for a particular road or intersection. "This has Smallville city's sticker on it. This must be in the jurisdiciton of Smallville PD." This can be helpful to PD but also to street maintaince workers in making sure they are supposed to be working on the sign they are working on. B) When I find one hanging in a college dorm room, it makes it easier to establish who's property it is for either theft charges, or returning the property.

There are many places that have stop signs that are not owned and maintained by a municipality. A mall and it's surrounding parking lot's for example. There may be many stop signs or other traffic control signs that are on private property and control movements on private property. These signs are owned and maintained by that property's owner.

In Arizona there are very few civil traffic violations that can be enforced on private property, and stop sign violations are one that cannot be enforced on private property. (Movements from private property onto public right-of-ways can be. In this case the sign is owned and maintained by the city)

I suppose that where ever this comment comes from the sticker placed by the municipality is a "blue sticker" saying something like "Property of the city of Smallville" So all stop signs on public roads here have these, and you can be cited for not stopping for them. But the stop signs on private property that are not owned by the city do not have the stickers, and because they are on private property you cannot be cited for failing to stop at it. Therefore the legend got spread that you can't be cited unless the sign has a blue sticker.

This of course is just a possible theory of where this comment came from, but it's just a WAG.
Old 28 November 2008, 02:19 PM
snopes minion

Hello Kitty

If the sticker is on the back, how do you know until after you've passed the sign?

Four Kitties
Old 04 December 2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Blue View Post
snip
There are many places that have stop signs that are not owned and maintained by a municipality. A mall and it's surrounding parking lot's for example. There may be many stop signs or other traffic control signs that are on private property and control movements on private property. These signs are owned and maintained by that property's owner.

In Arizona there are very few civil traffic violations that can be enforced on private property, and stop sign violations are one that cannot be enforced on private property. (Movements from private property onto public right-of-ways can be. In this case the sign is owned and maintained by the city)

I suppose that where ever this comment comes from the sticker placed by the municipality is a "blue sticker" saying something like "Property of the city of Smallville" So all stop signs on public roads here have these, and you can be cited for not stopping for them. But the stop signs on private property that are not owned by the city do not have the stickers, and because they are on private property you cannot be cited for failing to stop at it. Therefore the legend got spread that you can't be cited unless the sign has a blue sticker.

This of course is just a possible theory of where this comment came from, but it's just a WAG.
That is a reasonable theory. However, in Texas you are required to come to a full stop when leaving private property and entering a public roadway regradless of any signage. So the citation would not be running a stop sign but failure to stop prior to entering roadway.
Old 04 December 2008, 08:10 PM

Police

Quote:
That is a reasonable theory. However, in Texas you are required to come to a full stop when leaving private property and entering a public roadway regradless of any signage. So the citation would not be running a stop sign but failure to stop prior to entering roadway.
But how about a stop sign that only governs movements on private property. Such as for example a stop sign on the property of a mall where there are private roads that connect parking areas and other businesses but the movments never cross onto or over public right of ways?

Quote:
If the sticker is on the back, how do you know until after you've passed the sign?
Nobody said you would know before hand if you could be cited for it or not :P I guess you would just know if a ticket given for running it is valid or not.

I suppose that if it's along a regular route of yours you might check it out and know for future trips along that road.
Old 04 December 2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Blue View Post
But how about a stop sign that only governs movements on private property. Such as for example a stop sign on the property of a mall where there are private roads that connect parking areas and other businesses but the movments never cross onto or over public right of ways?
My guess then would that only a "mall" cop could give you a ticket for that.

Also, I would think that running such a stop sign would not be a criminal matter but could come into play in a civil court should an accident result from ignoring the stop sign.

But remember, I am an engineer, not a lawyer.
Old 12 January 2009, 05:30 PM

Roll eyes

Comment: I heard that if you receive a ticket from a police officer, that
if you place a postal stamp on the ticket when you sign and then write
that you signed under duress the ticket will be cancelled. Sound like crap
to me, but a friend insists this is true. Is it?
Old 12 January 2009, 05:40 PM

Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopes View Post
Comment: I heard that if you receive a ticket from a police officer, that if you place a postal stamp on the ticket when you sign and then write that you signed under duress the ticket will be cancelled. Sound like crap to me, but a friend insists this is true. Is it?
I don't know what the postal stamp would do, but if you write that you signed under duress here in Washington, it might mean that they have to prosecute you (i.e., file an indictment rather than rely on the ticket). It's true that the ticket may be dropped if the prosecutor doesn't want to go to the trouble of indicting you.

Signing the ticket only acknowledges that you received it. It has nothing to do with admitting guilt.

Seaboe
Old 12 January 2009, 08:08 PM

On our tickets there are two statements with check boxes. One is labeled civil and states something along the lines of "Without admitting responsibility I acknowledge reciept of this complaint." The other is labeled criminal and statates something like "Without admitting guild, I promise to appear before the court and answer this complaint."

The officer checks which ever box is appropriate for your violation and asks the person to sign. If its a civil ticket and the person refuses to sign then the officer writes "Served" on the signature box and gives them a copy. If its a criminal violation and the person declines to sign then they go to jail.

As someone stated before signing is not an admittance of guilt, just that you recieved the ticket. Under what grounds could you be under duress to acknowledge recieving a ticket?

I don't imagine the court would accept "I was under duress when I signed this ticket, acknowleding reciept of it" to be much of an excuse for anything. Maybe different in some state, but here all its likely to do is charge you $0.42 to give a court clerk a chuckle.
Old 13 January 2009, 09:35 PM

Well, it definitely wouldn't work in Wisconsin, because I just got a speeding ticket there a few days ago and didn't have to sign anything. The cop printed it out in his car, I assume, and just handed it to me.
Old 27 April 2009, 04:50 PM

Judge

Comment: A friend of mine has told me several times of a man that beat a parking
ticket by way of a dictionary definition -- here's the story he tells:

Somebody in Oregon/Seattle area was stopped one day by a police officer,
who gave him a ticket for parking in a no-stopping zone.

However, the sign was (according to the story) misspelled, and instead of
saying 'No stopping', it said 'No stoping' (note spelling).

The ticket-ee took the ticket, a photo of the sign, and a dictionary, and
investigated the word 'stoping'; discovering that it means 'to extract
ore, especially coal, from a location', he showed the definition and photo
to the judge, who promptly dismissed the ticket.

My question, in this case, is probably obivious by this point -- did such
an occurance really happen, or is this another urban legend?

---------------------------

Comment: One of my uncles got a ticket for parking in what was supposed to
be a no stopping zone. Had the signs and everything. Problem was that the
signs said NO STOPING rather than NO STOPPING. My uncle had been raised
in the hard coal region of PA, so he knew that stoping was a method of
mining. He took a photo of the sign and a dictionary into court, this was in
the Los Angeles area, and pointed out to the judge that he was not stoping.
Judge had to throw out the ticket. The state had to print up new signs.
Old 27 April 2009, 04:56 PM

Police

I don't know if the "stoping" story is true, but it's got legs: Back in 1948 it turned up in the Los Angeles Times (as something that supposedly took place in Durham, NC):

Quote:
Now comes an item from Durham, N.C., about a motorist who objected to a parking fine because the sign read: "No Stoping Here." He claimed "stoping" was a mining term that meant digging ore. This time the judge dismissed the charge, ordered the police to brush up on their spelling.
Old 28 April 2009, 01:46 AM
Altered Statesman

"We Can't Stop at Every 'Sop', 'Yeld', and 'One Vay' Sign!"
Old 02 May 2009, 04:52 AM

Police

Comment: Rumor: Cops are required to show you the radar gun after being
pulled over to prove that you were speeding if you request them to do so.
Old 03 May 2009, 05:58 AM

Judge

Comment: I've been told buy a number of people that U.S. fedral law say's
that law enforcement has to allow and give you 3mph for speedometer error
for speeding before they can issue a citation and that if an officer
writes a citation for 3mph of the posted legal speed litmit that the judge
of the over seeing court is to automatically dismiss it. I.E.( posted
speed limit is 55mph and the officer stops and writes you a citation for
58mph or less.)
Old 04 May 2009, 10:16 PM

Police

Quote:
Rumor: Cops are required to show you the radar gun after being
pulled over to prove that you were speeding if you request them to do so.
Not true here in AZ, and from what I know anywhere in the US, other contries may differ. It is partially a safety issue, as there are safety concerns to both the officer and driver when they are getting out of their vehicle. Also I don't know a person reading an electronic display proves anything. They don't have any idea how that number go there or when just by looking at it.

Quote:
I've been told buy a number of people that U.S. fedral law say's
that law enforcement has to allow and give you 3mph for speedometer error
for speeding before they can issue a citation and that if an officer
writes a citation for 3mph of the posted legal speed litmit that the judge
of the over seeing court is to automatically dismiss it. I.E.( posted
speed limit is 55mph and the officer stops and writes you a citation for
58mph or less.)
Never heard that little tidbit before. If it were true you think they would have mentioned it duirng traffic enforcment classes at the academy or something.
Old 04 May 2009, 10:19 PM

And a traffic stop isn't a debate, trial, hearing, or any other kind of give-and-take. No other defendants have the right to evidence-on-demand at the scene of the crime, so people stopped for speeding and issued a ticket shouldn't either.