snopes.com  

Go Back   snopes.com > Urban Legends > NFBSK

Old 01 December 2008, 09:41 PM

Icon09 Saltpeter in prison food

http://www.latimes.com/features/heal...2286977.column

Quote:
Question: My boyfriend was recently released from prison and believes saltpeter was put in the food. How do you remove the effects after numerous years?

Answer: Saltpeter (potassium nitrate) is falsely believed to lower libido. Youngsters in boarding schools and summer camps, as well as men in the military or in prison, have perpetuated the myth that they are being fed saltpeter.

If time and support don't overcome your boyfriend's sexual difficulties, counseling may help. Hormonal assessment also may be needed.
Old 01 December 2008, 10:47 PM

Two elderly gentlemen were sitting on the bench outside the Old People's Home discussing life, the universe and everything. One of them says to the other "Do you remember the salpeter they used to put in our food when we were in the army to make us less horny?"

"Yes. Why do you ask?"

"I think it has started to work now."
Old 02 December 2008, 06:59 PM

In the Dutch army they supposedly used camphor for this -- or so the story goes...
Old 02 December 2008, 07:47 PM

Over here, the stories always have it that it was "bromide". What~bromide I have no idea.

I seem to hear potassium bromide in the lower regions of my more erratically filed memories.
Old 03 December 2008, 05:32 AM

Another variation is that the Nazis put bromide into the food of female concentraton camp prisoners to keep them from having periods.
Old 03 December 2008, 10:01 AM

When I think of it, in Swedish stories they use sodium carbonate.
Old 05 December 2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty5nutz View Post
Another variation is that the Nazis put bromide into the food of female concentraton camp prisoners to keep them from having periods.
It would not have been needed. Nature is fairly smart in that it stops the ability to reproduce as soon as it become unlikely that the child would not survive. So it is not the fact that they were in concentration camps, rather that they were starved, overworked, and cold.
Old 06 December 2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
It would not have been needed. Nature is fairly smart in that it stops the ability to reproduce as soon as it become unlikely that the child would not survive. So it is not the fact that they were in concentration camps, rather that they were starved, overworked, and cold.
I guess I should have clarified.

There was a rumour that was prevalent in the concentration camps that the Nazis put bromide in the food of prisoners. I don't think that it has ever been proven one way or the other.

Certainly, the starvation diet, overwork and the cold could very easily have caused women to stop having periods. The majority of concentration camp prisoners [Jewish ones anyway] did not survive past six months, if that long.
Old 08 December 2008, 01:56 AM

I used to work as a cook in the Louisiana jail system... and the closest thing to Potassium Nitrate that we put in food was either a Sunday morning treat of Egg McMuffins from the local McDonalds - or this neat thing called Sodium Chloride... and that was it.

Supposedly they fed the stuff to us in the Army as well... I've known too many military cooks. They didn't even give us Egg McMuffins, forget about saltpeter!!